Focal Point
Dashboard layout guidelines

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9411097331

July 22, 2004, 07:50 PM
<mikeg13>
Dashboard layout guidelines
Are there some "best practices" on how users are designing the Dashboard? Let's say I have subject areas of HR, Finance and Student data. I am unsure if each of these is a domain, or better off having a different or similar Group View for each subject area. Should each of these subject areas just be a Page (tab) within a single Group View? Can you use one of the dashboard toolbars to move between domains? Does anyone actually keep the domain tree on the sidebar? I do not like the look of the sidebar, unless I can get that functionality under the banner, instead of next to it.

So many questions and options. Are there documents for design guidelines? I know about the manual that tells me how to change everything, but where does one get guidance on how it "should" be setup for ease of use? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
July 22, 2004, 08:23 PM
<WFUser>
I don't beleive there are any "Best Pratices" docuented for Dashboard. Here are a few tips however.

The issue of domains and groups is really a Managed Reporting issue and that must be addressed first. It's really a question of security. If every user can see all reports, then you may want to use only 1 domain. If not, you need other domains and groups.

To switch between environmens, you can only use group views if you have many MR groups. Otherwise tabs will work. The Toolbars are only for outside links.

If you don't like the look of the sidebar, you can remove it from the view and even remove the "Tree" link. The alternative would be to put reports on pages using tabs, folder blocks, and/or list blocks. This will work well if users aren't doing ad hoc reporting using Reporting Objects. If they are, you need the tree.