Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Defined fields as prompts

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Defined fields as prompts
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. I would like to define a character field and then set the value of this to be the result of a prompt at run time. I then intend to use the value of this to determine other aspects of how the report looks. How do I set up the define to do this.
Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tcox,

Release 8
Windows 7
Excel/HTML/PDF
Oracle 11g

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi tcox,
It seems your post has not received any response, probably because it's a bit vague.
Help for creating a prompt or defining a new field can be found in the InfoAssist User Manual IA User Manual but please clarify if you are looking for more specific help?

InfoAssist only - Version: 7703
Windows 7
Excel and PDF outputs

posted Hide Post
Hi TRue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and sorry if the request was a bit vague.
I'll try to explain it better.
I have 3 fields on a db table which I need to use to create 1 output column.
So imagine they are A, B and C.
The output can look like A on it's own, or A+B or A+B+C. I want the user to be able to determine this via a prompt at run time. Then I would use their response in the define statement for the output column. Something along the lines of IF 'response' = 1 THEN value = 'A' ELSE if 'response' = 2 THEN value= A||B ELSE value=A || B || C
Easy to do if programming but I can't work out how to use a reply to a prompt in the field definition screen.
Hope that helps?!

Release 8
Windows 7
Excel/HTML/PDF
Oracle 11g

posted Hide Post
Hello tcox,
So, just to make sure I understand, you want them to choose which combination of fields is used to create the define?

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.5
Windows 10, all output

Posts: 16 | Location: CT | Registered: April 12, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello noelmcavoy. that is correct. I'm really trying to use the prompt as input to an IF statement rather than a filter.
Someone has suggested using &variables in the define statement so I'll be trying that out next week.
I'll let you know if that works anyway.

Thank you.

Release 8
Windows 7
Excel/HTML/PDF
Oracle 11g

posted Hide Post
Hi dbeagan.
Thank you for this. With a little tweaking I now have it working exactly as I wanted.
Thanks again!!

dbeagan's solution was:
Did this in InfoAssist using GGSALES as an example. Let A=REGION B=ST C=CITY. Create two DEFINE fields:
REGION_ST/A15 = REGION || '-' || ST;
REGION_ST_CITY/A40 = REGION || '-' || ST || '-' || CITY;

Create a COMPUTE field:
FIELDS/A40 = &Fields.(,,).Region / State / City.

And add other fields and complete the report. When run, you will be autoprompted for fields, select and run.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tcox,

Release 8
Windows 7
Excel/HTML/PDF
Oracle 11g