Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     What's causing a ERROR WRITING OUTPUT FILE?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
What's causing a ERROR WRITING OUTPUT FILE?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I've got a fex that builds a simple html phone list for our company. We had it up and running for months before we upgraded to 7.6.2 in July.

Now we're getting...
0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 97 IN PROCEDURE rpt_phone_list
(FOC350) ERROR WRITING OUTPUT FILE: JK

The fex is very simple...
FILEDEF JK DISK \\SVR99MAIL\PHONE\PAGE.HTM
*focus code*
ON TABLE HOLD AS JK FORMAT HTML
*stylesheet code*

We've checked and double check the permissions on this SVR99MAIL server, but we're missing something.

Anyone seen this before? I didn't see anything in focal point that was useful, so it's either really really simple or really complex. Wink

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm in a Unix shop and whenever I see that message, it is because

a. the file now belongs to someone else and the person who is trying to write it is not allowed.
b. the person trying to write it in Dev Studio is not who he thinks he is, i.e. the cookie got messed up.

You were right to look at permissions. The only other thing I can think of is space issues.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Well, the system's admin and I are having a hard time of all this.

Does anyone know where we can find the user the IBI is using to create a file listed in a filedef so we can grant that user the appropriate permissions?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
-SET &USERID=GETUSER('A8');
-TYPE THE USERID FROM GETUSER IS &USERID

That is if you are using a secured reporting server.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
say Jason
does your file get written if you
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE....
END
?
If so, its not the filedeffing and writing, its something whacky in your phone number data, perhaps. Check that sort of thing first.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Or just do a -WRITE to the filedef after the filedef has been registered.
So:
FILEDEF JK DISK .....
-RUN
-WRITE JK Something

Maybe you'll find what's wrong in this way.
By the way, if you're running non-secure, the user the server runs under is the local system account. And that account only has full rights on the local machine and will not be allowed to write on other servers, regardless of the security level of that other server.
If that's the case it may be advisable to run the server as a secure (EDAEXTSEC=ON) or pass through (EDAEXTSEC=PTH) server.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Jason has your report changed to using Amperautoprompt?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
GamP: I think you're on to something with your suggestion. I think we are running non-secure. Is there any way to make this work with the non-secure setup that we have?

All: we are able to create the file on local drives, c: for example, but not on any other server, either through the UNC path or through mapping the drive on the reporting server first.

Thanks!