Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Commit and Rollback
 Login/Join

posted
In WebFOCUS, Why the commit and rollback statement has been overlooked?

7.6.8, Linux
HTML,Excel,PDF,...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What's that? Overlooked? What do you mean?

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
commit and rollback don't exist in WebFocus. why? in oracle, if i do a insert, update, delete, etc... If the insert is correct, i can do a commit but is incorrect i do a rollback.

Sorry "Overlooked" is literal form translate.googlee spanish-english

7.6.8, Linux
HTML,Excel,PDF,...

<JG>
posted
quote:
commit and rollback don't exist in WebFocus.

That is an incorrect statement for both functions.

You do not say what tool you are using to insert/update or delete data in Oracle.

Is it Modify, Maintain or SQL Passthru.

In all cases commit and rollback are supported.

You have to use slightly more advanced skills when using MODIFY and MAINTAIN at this level.

I would start by downloading and reading the correct documentation, get some training to teach you the more advanced
skills required or call in an IB or external consultant who has the required skills.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That's right... We're looking into using that here... And, I'm planning on the basic commit / rollback functionality to ensure database integrity. So, I do count on those functions...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
COMMIT and ROLLBACK has been here for ages, first in MODIFY (which was necessary when COMBINE came along) then in MAINTAIN.

Previously, one had to rely on Absolute File Integrity and SHADOW in MVS.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I've been using COMMIT and ROLLBACK with MODIFY for years in both FOCUS for HP-UX and WebFOCUS.
-SET &COMMIT=ROLLBACK;
 MODIFY FILE ORACLE_TABLE
 FIXFORM FROM HOLD
 MATCH KEY1
    ON NOMATCH INCLUDE
    ON NOMATCH SQL &COMMIT WORK
    ON MATCH UPDATE FLDA FLDB FLDC
    ON MATCH SQL &COMMIT WORK
 DATA ON HOLD
 END
-RUN

This has always worked for me. At one point in time the word WORK was required. I don't know if that is still true or not.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! Smiler

Thanks! I see that all tell me about WF was wrong. Eeker

7.6.8, Linux
HTML,Excel,PDF,...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Who is telling you all of this? Inquiring minds want to know what else they are telling you that WF can't do!

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not say...

Is WebFocus Mantain complicated to use?

It is not used because it is difficult, but I do not believe any of what I have said before. Frowner

7.6.8, Linux
HTML,Excel,PDF,...

<JG>
posted
BenGon

Maintain is a separate license to WebFOCUS which is why it is probably not used.
However MODIFY is part of WebFOCUS and you can quite easily use that for insert/update and delete against the vast majority of relational database systems.

The example given by jgenola is a simple implementation showing how it works.
It can be more complex if you need to use a lot of logic to validate if a commit or
rollback is required.

People who say it is difficult usually say that because they do not have any experience.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks very much!

7.6.8, Linux
HTML,Excel,PDF,...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not used because it is difficult, but I do not believe any of what I have said before.

quote:
People who say it is difficult usually say that because they do not have any experience.

Rock and hard place.

I have used maintain in WebFOCUS for 10 years and Maintain and Cactus before that. So I think it is easy AND powerful! Some people (consultants) hold their hands up in horror when they see the code; this is because it IS a different language. Not really a 3GL and with some OO perceptives.

When to use Maintain v. Modify.

NON-SCREEN based:
For a simple data load, grab a data file and throw into a database, Modify is fine and performs very well.

When manipulating data from multiple sources, the single Stack in Modify is restrictive / complex, whereas Maintain has multiple stacks that can be manipulated VERY quickly, and loaded direct from a data source or from a TABLE request.

SCREEN based:
Maintain has a persistence manager that allows an application to be connected to a user screen and remain in the same state as when the screen was displayed. This has many advantages for anything other than very simple logic.

For Modify use HTML Painter; Maintain has a Development Environment for building Screens and Code, easily linking screen elements to program variables / stacks and providing dynamic content. You can easily combine TABLE output and data updates on one screen, providing full closed loop capability with Maintain.

Maintain can be used non-persistent as a Modify runs, but still has the full abilities.

MODIFY uses COMBINE and DATA FROM to get to multiple data sources, Maintain builds in all data sources from master files in a simple call, MAINTAIN FILES a and b and c…

Maintain can manage multiple data updates / includes / deletes with one statement.

Maintain can run Table requests and other maintain programs.

Maintain does what you tell it to do, and ONLY that. There is no hidden default logic.

Maintain has a few commands above MODIFY that are really useful, including begin /endbegin, for all... and class declarations (very under utilised).
and Mark will have many more pros.

I have written hugely complex maintains, some written in 1999 / 2000 and still running today 24/7. I have had only one major bug (release 4.3.1) in 10 years.

HOWEVER, it is a different language with different nuances to it, training and practice are essential to get the best out of it.

Oh, and full COMMIT / ROLLBACK, always been there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alan B,

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
And Maintain is an extra cost license whereas Modify is include FOC.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that anyone says the WebFOCUS cannot do something.... In all my years of FOCUS and WebFOCUS the only thing I found that WebFOCUS cannot do (in the area of DB reporting, etc) is some very specific formatting issues (in the STYLESHEET *). But, IB has been working on it and is coming up with solutions to remedy those issues... Way To Go IB Big Grin

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
IB has been working on it and is coming up with solutions to remedy those issues

I'd love to know what some of those are!

The dreaded "total line on two lines" issue has been there since the beginning of time, so has the "column titles of BY columns on a different line than the ACROSS Values" issue - nothing has been does about these and many other report formatting issues.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
nothing has been does about these and many other report formatting issues.

I wonder how many were ever reported through the proper channels?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I would think this forum is one of the proper channels, after all, it is referenced in Tech Support searches.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're hard at work:

Tech Support Cases I've opened that are closed because the issue was resolved:

2009-02-10 - 50412025 - foc106 error with 4 BYs and 2 BY HIGHESTs (fixed in v7.6.9)
2009-03-26 - 50852551 - IRN:Multiverb & ACROSSCOLUMN loses styling with EXL2K (fixed in v7.6.9)
2009-04-01 - 50912529 - RDUP:81 Character limitation with Text Editor in DevStudio (fixed in v7.6.10)
2009-09-15 - 52582025 - How to get Excel borders with PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K (Fixed in v7.6.9)

Tech Support Cases I've opened that are in "In Product Division" or "IBI Researching" status:

2005-07-13 - 11942101 - CHECK FILE PICTURE not useful with large Master file names
2009-03-30 - 50892551 - EXL2K Stylesheet not working - ACROSSCOLUMN - Multiverb
2009-03-31 - 50902563 - RDUP: DevStudio truncates ftm files over 80 characters (fixed in v7.7)
2009-04-07 - 50972531 - NFR: Rename FTM files in DevStudio Data Server Other folder
2009-06-02 - 51532534 - NFR - EXL2K FORMULA SUPPORT FOR FML
2009-06-17 - 51682548 - Undo changes when using the Text Editor does get saved
2009-07-22 - 52032529 - RDUP:Extra line between Page Heading & Title in PDF output
2009-08-31 - 52432517 - NFR: Dashboard Toolbar open each link in new window
2009-10-13 - 52862534 - BID View Name in a variable doesn't populate (WORP_MPV)

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think this forum is one of the proper channels

Hmmm, I wouldn't necessarily agree. It would be nice of course, and Dimitris certainly held his end over Dev Studio critisisms (BIG applause Dimitri Smiler), but in any organisation, to handle fault reports correctly, they need to be controlled such that progress could be tracked effectively e.g. in a change control / fault reporting system with something like case numbers. Free format text headers on a forum wouldn't satisfy that in my books.

I do agree however, that raising enough comments on a forum such as this should be used as a gauge for Customer satisfaction with a product line, but you still need to rigorously follow your set business processes to ensure things do not get missed, even if it means raising cases internally - and a forum is not the place to be divulging configuration and actual data files that demonstrate an issue.

What is IB's position I wonder?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,
quote:
IB has been working on it and is coming up with solutions to remedy those issues
These are more along the lines of aligning subhead items with fields, formatting items individually when the reside on multiple subhead lines... I'll see about passing on more info later. I'm heading for Chicago in the morning (My son's graduating US Navy bootcamp on Friday)...