Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] If Then Logic to choose a value

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] If Then Logic to choose a value
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We have a field with data in a "current" and "legacy" format. For the report, we want to create a defined field that translates the legacy code to a description that would be compatible with a description we have defined for the current code. The logic is if the first character is "^" upcarat then look at the description otherwise use the 2 characters beginning at position 5. I was able to get it to display the "current" code in a defined field by itself and to display the translated "legacy" code by itself, but when I tried to combine them in one field, I did not get the results I'm expecting. I imagine that the logic may be missing something. I am not too familiar with all the functions, so the define may not be written the best way. Here is an example of what the result should be:
--------------------------------
Code ==> Description
11S_ST_OD ==> ST
^05MMA MSEM_Manila ==> "MA"
--------------------------------
Using the above example, the actual output of the report shows:
CohortNew CohortOld CoCombined
ST XX ST
MA SF
------------------------
Line 2 CoCombined Should be MA not SF
------------------------

Here is the Define:
COHORTNEW/A3=IF BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3') NE 94 THEN EDIT(COHORT, '$$$$99$$$$$');
POSITS/I3=BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3');
COHORTOLD/A30=
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'Sacramento' THEN 'ST' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'SF' THEN 'SF' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'N Bay' THEN 'NB' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'S Bay' THEN 'SB' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'San Ramon' THEN 'SR' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'LA' THEN 'LA' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'Manila' THEN 'MA' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'Bangkok' THEN 'BK' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'Xiamen' THEN 'XI' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD) = 'New Orleans Refugee' THEN 'NO' ELSE
'XX';
CoCombined/A3=
IF BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3') NE 94 THEN EDIT(COHORT, '$$$$99$$$$$') ELSE
IF BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3') EQ 94 THEN
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'Sacramento' THEN 'ST' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'SF' THEN 'SF' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'N Bay' THEN 'NB' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'S Bay' THEN 'SB' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'San Ramon' THEN 'SR' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'LA' THEN 'LA' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'Manila' THEN 'MA' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'Bangkok' THEN 'BK' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'Xiamen' THEN 'XI' ELSE
IF GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, 'A3') = 'New Orleans Refugee' THEN 'NO';
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You need an ELSE on the end of your defines and you caould simplify the code as follows.

COHORTNEW/A3=IF BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3') NE 94 THEN EDIT(COHORT, '$$$$99$$$$$') ELSE '???';
POSITS/I3=BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3');
TESTVAL/A3=GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, COHORTOLD);
COHORTOLD/A30=
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Sacramento' THEN 'ST' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'SF' THEN 'SF' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'N Bay' THEN 'NB' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'S Bay' THEN 'SB' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'San Ramon' THEN 'SR' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'LA' THEN 'LA' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Manila' THEN 'MA' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Bangkok' THEN 'BK' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Xiamen' THEN 'XI' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'New Orleans Refugee' THEN 'NO' ELSE
'XX';
CoCombined/A3=
IF POSITS NE 94 THEN EDIT(COHORT, '$$$$99$$$$$') ELSE
-* this is redunadntIF BYTVAL(COHORT, 'I3') EQ 94 THEN
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Sacramento' THEN 'ST' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'SF' THEN 'SF' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'N Bay' THEN 'NB' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'S Bay' THEN 'SB' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'San Ramon' THEN 'SR' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'LA' THEN 'LA' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Manila' THEN 'MA' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Bangkok' THEN 'BK' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'Xiamen' THEN 'XI' ELSE
IF TESTVAL EQ 'New Orleans Refugee' THEN 'NO' ELSE '???' ;

Posts: 140 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Even better, you can rewrite those IF THEN ELSE statements to use DECODE, like so:
COHORTOLD/A30 = DECODE(
 'Sacramento' 'ST'
 'N Bay' 'NB'
 'S Bay' 'SB'
 'San Ramon' 'SR'
 ELSE 'XX'
);

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I tried it using the following code:
EX -LINES 5 EDAPUT MASTER,COHORT,CV,FILE
FILENAME=COHORT, SUFFIX=FIX,$
SEGNAME=COHORT, $
  FIELD=COHORT        , ALIAS= ,A15  ,A15  , $
  FIELD=COHORT_DESC   , ALIAS= ,A100 ,A100 , $

EX -LINES 3 EDAPUT FOCTEMP,COHORT,CV,FILE
11S_ST_OD      SSSSSSSS
^05MMA         MSEM_Manila

FILEDEF COHORT DISK COHORT.FTM

DEFINE FILE COHORT
XYZZY/A30     = GETTOK(COHORT_DESC, 100, -1, '_', 30, XYZZY);
CoCombined/A3 = IF EDIT(COHORT, '9') NE '^' THEN EDIT(COHORT, '$$$$99$$$$$') ELSE 
                DECODE XYZZY('Sacramento' 'ST' 'SF' 'SF' 'N Bay' 'NB' 'S Bay' 'SB' 'San Ramon' 'SR'
                             'LA' 'LA' 'Manila' 'MA' 'Bangkok' 'BK' 'Xiamen' 'XI' 'New Orleans Refugee' 'NO'
                ELSE 'XX');
END

TABLE FILE COHORT
PRINT COHORT COHORT_DESC CoCombined
END
and it gave me the required result.
Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This looks way too complicated for what you are trying to do. For starters, why not take a look at the DECODE function to get rid of all of those IF THEN ELSE statements. You can then use the EDIT function to check for the upcaret and also to select the 5th and 6th characters.

Oops .... looks like Wep5622 and GamP beat me to it ....

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your great help. I used GamP's code and it is working. This brought to light that there are some more "exceptions". I noticed a case where it did not translate a "San Ramon". I thought perhaps it had to do with the "^" have an "_" in the description, meaning that it picks up "_San Ramon", but not picking up " San Ramon". However, "New Orleans" does not have an "_" and it is picked up, so now I'm not sure what to think.

COHORT COHORT_DESC COHORTNEW COHORTOLD CoCombined
^NOLA New Orleans Refugee NO NO
^08SSR Clinic Nurse Lead San Ramon SR XX XX
^5FRAC EDUC_San Ramon SF SR SR

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I overcame the issue by adding hard code values in order to get the description to show up. I tried to spell out the wording in the decode, but that didn't work, so I used an IF for the San Ramon. I left the wording in the decode in the snippet below, however, in case I missed something.

[B]IF COHORT = '^08SSR' THEN 'SR' ELSE [/B]
DECODE XYZZY('Sacramento' 'ST' 'SF' 'SF' 'N Bay' 'NB' 'S Bay' 'SB' 'San Ramon' 'SR' 'Clinic Nurse Lead San Ramon' 'SR'
'LA' 'LA' 'Manila' 'MA' 'Bangkok' 'BK' 'Xiamen' 'XI' 'Korea Inst' 'KO' 'New Orleans Refugee' 'NO'
ELSE 'XX');
CoCombinedDesc/A30=
DECODE CoCombined('ST' 'Sacramento' 'SF' 'San Francisco' 'GH' 'SF General Hospital' 'NB' 'North Bay' 'SB' 'South Bay'
'SR' 'San Ramon' 'PA' 'Palo Alto' 'FR' 'Fresno' 'LA' 'Los Angeles' 'RA' 'SF Prof Study Adv and Support' 'MA' 'Manila' 'BK' 'Bangkok'
'XI' 'Xiamen' 'KO' 'Korea' 'MY' 'Malaysia' 'NO' 'New Orleans' ELSE 'XX'); 

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Master
posted Hide Post
A footnote:

For readbility you can arrange your DECODE vertically, or even put the decode pairs in a separate file. You could create that file dynamically as well.

eg:
DECODE XYZZY(
'Sacramento' 'ST' 
'SF'         'SF' 
'N Bay'      'NB' 
'S Bay'      'SB' 
'San Ramon'  'SR' 
...ETC
ELSE 'XX');

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post