Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Help with Alignment and Output

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Help with Alignment and Output
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I work in the IT department for a local elected official, where I am the webmaster and the Webfocus administrator.

My WebFocus duties include...

Building Synonyms and metadata
Managing 10 or so MRE users
Trouble Shooting connection problems
Setting up ODBC connections
Building HTML ad-hoc apps for easy report access
Addressing "No HTML Output" issues

and numerous other ADMIN type duties.

Everything but writing reports.

The only experienced Developer Studio user in my office passed away unexpectedly and now this project has fallen to me as 'the other webfocus guy.'

We are being ordered by State Statute to stop using excel time sheets to report our hours and switch to the Kronos time clock system by March 1st.

I am tasked with pulling information from the Kronos (MSSQL) database and the PeopleSoft (Oracle) database to produce a form that needs to signed by all employees.

Here is the current one we fill out by hand:

Transmittal

My WF output has to match this as much as possible.

Getting the data is not going to be that hard as there are existing views in each database that are used by a Crystal Reports version of what I am working on. Most of the County shops use Crystal. But since we are a WF shop I am going to get it working in WF.

I have about 70% of the data in the report all ready. I just need help getting the layout and the output correct. Like in the image linked above there is a grid for each employee, and the output is pdf-landscape-legal with 4 grids (employees) per page.

I am thinking that once I get the report to output only one employee per grid, I can use the pdf painters (Compound) to get 4 grids per page.

So finally here is my question:

How do I get each recordset (employee) to display on its own grid?

The header info is the same for each department so here in IT we have 11 employees, so running the report for department=IT will produce 3 pages, 2 with 4 grids and one with 3 grids.

Is it LOOKUP with a MATCH? that is the closest example I can see in the functions book.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

prod: WF 7.7.03 platform IIS on Windows 2007, databases: Oracle, , MSSQL

Posts: 133 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: August 04, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Am I trying to do something that is not possible in WF?

Will WF not produce data in a grid like CR will?

Posts: 133 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: August 04, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Greg,

This is an example of how to ensure that you print your data 2 columns wide, 2 rows per page.
It is not meant as a solution for your problem, but just as a possible way to solve the problem.
DEFINE FILE CAR
COL/I2 WITH SEATS = IF COL EQ 2 THEN 1 ELSE COL + 1;
ROW/I2 WITH SEATS = IF COL EQ 1 THEN ROW + 1 ELSE ROW;
PAG/I2 WITH SEATS = (ROW+1) / 2;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM   SEATS AS ''
      DCOST AS ''
	  RCOST AS ''
BY     PAG NOPRINT PAGE-BREAK
BY     ROW NOPRINT
ACROSS COL NOPRINT
END

Hope this helps ...

quote:
But since we are a WF shop I am going to get it working in WF.

That's the spirit - keep it up!

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here is another method, working with the concept of a "Multi-Pane Report"

TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT
-*BY MODEL NOPRINT
-*BY BODYTYPE NOPRINT

HEADING
"Country: <COUNTRY Car: <CAR Model: <MODEL"
"Body Type: <BODYTYPE Dealer Cost: <DEALER_COST Retail Cost: <RETAIL_COST"
"Seats: <SEATS Sales: <SALES Purchases <+0> _______________"
"Length: <LENGTH Width: <WIDTH Height: <HEIGHT"
" "
"Warranty: <WARRANTY"
"</13>"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF

ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOPAGE

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
SQUEEZE=ON,
PAGESIZE=LEGAL, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE,
LEFTMARGIN=0.3, RIGHTMARGIN=0.3, TOPMARGIN=0.3, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.3,
FONT=Arial, SIZE=9,
PAGEMATRIX=(2 2), ELEMENT=(6.75 3.6), GUTTER=(0.1 0.1), MATRIXORDER=HORIZONTAL, LABELPROMPT=OFF, $

TYPE=HEADING, GRID=ON, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=1, WIDTH=0.85, STYLE=BOLD, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=2, WIDTH=1.0, COLOR=NAVY, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=3, WIDTH=0.85, STYLE=BOLD, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=4, WIDTH=1.0, COLOR=NAVY, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=5, WIDTH=0.85, STYLE=BOLD, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=6, WIDTH=1.4, COLOR=NAVY, $
TYPE=HEADING, LINE=6, ITEM=2, WIDTH=3, COLOR=BLUE, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

There's a lot of WebFOCUS stuff happening in the PDF styling, read the documentation, starting with "Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Laying Out the Report Page > Working With Mailing Labels and Multi-Pane Pages". This is theoretically achievable with the Report Painter, see "Creating Reports With Graphical Tools > Styling Reports With the Report Painter > Aligning Fields and Text in Headings and Footings". The "Alignment Grid" addds the WIDTH styling to the code - it's a lot easier to do it in code instead of Report Painter. This is considered a "Free-Form Report" because there are no report columns. See "Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Creating a Free-Form Report > Designing a Free-Form Report".

I haven't yet figured out how to add a grid to the individual elements in the HEADING, unfortunately I don't think it's possible.

Best of luck.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Pane is what I was looking for. I was having trouble finding help on how to lay it out with out knowing what IBI called it.

I was calling it a grid, or compound reports, and not finding what I was looking for.

Expert
posted Hide Post
The "Multi-Pane Report" concept is really just using coding designed for Labels.

PAGEMATRIX - how many labels fit on a page
ELEMENT - The size of one label
GUTTER - space between each label
MATRIXORDER - order that the data is displayed on a page
LABELPROMPT - not required for a non-label report

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I started laying out the alignment gird for the greenbar section of the report this morning, by using the 'add line below' item in the right click menu.

I got all the way done when I realized that I had put the entire report in the header...

I thought I was going to have to start over.
But I am reading one of the sections that Francis recommended:

Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language > Creating a Free-Form Report > Designing a Free-Form Report

And on Page 19-2 it says Don't use PRINT, LIST, SUM and COUNT.

Put the entire report in the header.

So I was doing it right by accident Smiler

Expert
posted Hide Post
Greg, getting it right by accident is a great start!

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Webfocus is an ongoing serendipity...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post