Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     New Daylight Saving Time (DST) in the U.S.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
New Daylight Saving Time (DST) in the U.S.
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Good morning All :
My search on FocalPoint and the IBI site in general did not produce anything significant. But was wondering if the new DST Start/End dates (March 11 / November 4 respectively) would have any impact on WF installations. Here are a couple of links that our Network Admin sent me about the need to update the JRE -

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/USDST/
http://java.sun.com/javase/tzupdater_README.html

Please share your view of the (potential) impact of this on WF.
Thank you all,
Sandeep Mamidenna.

P.S.: For those of us who do not do this on a regular basis, here is one way to check your Java release from the command prompt -
C:\>java -version

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BlueZone,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi BlueZone,

The only area in which the WebFOCUS products might be affected would be
ReportCaster. There is a technical memo explaining how ReportCaster
handles DST. You can review it here:

Technical Memo 4617: Daylight Saving Time Considerations for ReportCaster 7.1
DN4500772.1105

Other than those considerations, you ought to include any areas in the U.S. that do not observer DST in your planning. I believe there are a very small number of such areas. That is however something you always need to take into account regardless of the change in 2007.

Hope this helps. Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the note Kerry. I was hoping it would be so (no impact), but was a tad bit concerned this morning after reading thru the java.sun.com article I referenced above.

Goooooooooood day !!
Sandeep Mamidenna.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The new dates for DST in the US do need an update to the JRE. However, I have a concern regarding updating the JRE. A while back, when I had WF 5.3.2 running, I upgraded the JRE past version 1.5.7 which caused some components of WF Report caster console to stop working. Has anybody else experienced this? This does not create a problem on WF 7.1.7
We had WF 5.3.2 on AIX

Diptesh
WF 7.1.7 - AIX, MVS

Posts: 79 | Location: Warren, NJ, USA | Registered: October 25, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with an IBI techsupport rep about this issue. Here is the official Java support memo for WF -
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/wbf/wbf_tmo_047_j2se.html

Now compare that with -
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/USDST/

In a nut shell, Sun says - "get J2SE 1.4.2_11 or later" to be DST compliant. And IBI only certifies 1.4.2_04 for our WF 5.2.6. IBI also says that they do not test older WF versions with newer Java releases.

So our options are ......
>> Upgrade Java to higher than certified level and take the risk
>> Or else, Upgrade WF to 7.x and then the certified Java is automatically DST compliant.

Food for thought, right there.
Hope some of you can use that info.

Sandeep Mamidenna

Guru
posted Hide Post
Sandeep,

This is just catching up with me. I see you're also on an older release of WebFOCUS, we're on WF release 5.2.8 using Java 1.4.2_05

Have you decided what you're going to do about ReportCaster and the incorrect time?

You wrote:
So our options are ......
>> Upgrade Java to higher than certified level and take the risk
>> Or else, Upgrade WF to 7.x and then the certified Java is automatically DST compliant.

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the time could be wrong from 3/11 to 4/2 2007.

Or are you going to use the tzupdater tool to modify your time zone?

Thanks much!
Carol

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I imagine this may have an impact on DataMigrator as well?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Carol :
Our network servcies group had recently updated Java to 1.5.x on all our site servers as a company wide operation. That now makes us DST compliant.

I guess we are now at our own risk when it comes to WF certified Java support, but everything seems to be running just fine the last few weeks. We will be upgrading to 7.x in the near future and that should take care of that issue too.

Hope that helps Carol,
Sandeep Mamidenna.

Expert
posted Hide Post
NB: for those of you still running WIN2k, you will have to change your time on your server manually, and on every restart...until old DST catches up; Thus caster is of course no where near the 'only app that will be affected'...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Call me picky, but, even given the fact that Microshaft no longer "do" fixes for win2K, wouldn't you think that it would be a real move towards good Customer Service if they did a fix for the US of A's DST for "old but gold" O/Ss that are still running? Even just the server version of the O/S.

Just a thought ...............

But then they wouldn't get more revenue from forcing companies to upgrade would they!!

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Carol we went with the tzupdater tool to update our JRE's that Report Caster is running under rather than having to upgrade. That has worked to date. I applied the patch to dev a couple weeks ago.

WebFOCUS 7.1.3 Windows Client AIX 5.2 Report Servers

Guru
posted Hide Post
jmdoyld1,

Thanks for your reply, it seems like the easiest quickest way to solve our problem. We plan on upgrading later this year.

Carol

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post