Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] FEXs at the Filesystem

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] FEXs at the Filesystem
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Folks,
I have an interesting situation in front of me that I have decided is best to be handled at the file-system level and I need some guidance on a few points.

I want to copy files around at the file system level (Windows) and I have noticed some odd behavior. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have to help me get past these issues.

When I create a new FEX on the file system (via the DOS COPY command at the Command Prompt (i.e. COPY existing_file.fex new_file.fex)), I can verify that the new file was created, is in Unix line break format (as is the old one), has the contents of 'existing_file.fex', and is otherwise bit perfect to the existing file. But it doesn't show up in MRE (even after a refresh). I feel that this is due to the fact that MRE didn't create an entry in the HTML file that seems to drive the domain.

When I update an existing FEX on the file system (via the DOS COPY command at the Command Prompt (i.e. COPY existing_file-IN.fex existing_file-OUT.fex)), I can verify that the OUT file was overwritten with the contents of the IN file, is in the right format, visible in MRE, runs via MRE, etc. The issue here is that the FEX (within MRE) reports an out of date 'Last Modified Time' and 'Last Modified By' value (whereas the File Size seems to update to the correct size upon refresh).

It would stand to reason that MRE is the issue because the actions above are outside of it's 'view'. Is this something that's fixable or is that just the way it is?

- ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
<JG>
posted
You cannot copy an MRE file at command level and see it in MRE.

For the file to be known and so visible in MRE it needs to be registered by MRE.
That can only be done by either creating or copying the file in MRE.
Depending on your version of WebFOCUS the physical filename may bear no relationship to the original.
(not an issue for you on 7.6.11)

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

we also use file system operations in order to deploy our reports.
It works quite well, if you respect a few things.

Most important, all MRE-Objects need to be registered in the "domainname".htm.
The file resides in WebFOCUS76/basedir/"domainname"/.

So, if you create a new fex with copying on file system level, you need to insert the corresponding line inside the HTM-File.
There you can also ommit the data createdon,lastmodby,createdby. This might solve the problem when updating files.

Regards,
Markus

WF 7.6.6 (MRE,BID, DevStudio, partly RC) on Windows 2003 /Apache/Tomcat
Output: HTML,Excel,PDF,PPT
Adapters: SQL Server, DB2, Oracle

Posts: 38 | Location: Austria, Linz | Registered: June 19, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bonjour,
I think that, sometimes, in this forum, I can read some Wooden Tongued Language.
The Good little Focusian is not supposed to do this and that.
And, on the other hand, I very well understand that, because, if the Good little Focusian learns, here, how to fall in sin,
makes big and heavied consequenced mistakes, the sin learner might turn back towards the forum and say , there are the devils ...

Of course, this forum is not engaged by the messages of people writing in, neither IBI is, nor the Company where they work.

But this is neither the place for playing bad tricks.
But if this place turns to be too much "The Voice of the Party" it loses some spontaneity and somme Focusian brotherhood.

As, too often in my messages (and in my life) I can feel some disease and not at all know any plain and correct solution.

I remember a serious comitee, where a rule was to invoke the Thougths of Lao-Tse and put a clown's red-nose on when one was
willing to speak off to his colleagues and get their opinion about a subject that could not be quite official.
An example would here be :
'Lao Tse always preferred basic system orders to honey and sugared versions,
but he was very cautious when using them because he knew he could put a frightful mess,
and lose the control of all the stuff.
And Lao-Tse was a Wise and Prudent Guy'

But I'm afraid it's a bit unrealistic to dream of such a complicated way to communicate and hope be understood.
Sorry to have been 18 in 1968, and have been dreaming with John Lennon who's been dead for a couple of years by now.

Focusely and Imaginingly

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
So, if you create a new fex with copying on file system level, you need to insert the corresponding line inside the HTM-File.

Not supported in any way.

Corrupt the file (very easy to do) and the system fails.

quote:
Sorry to have been 18 in 1968, and have been dreaming with John Lennon who's been dead for a couple of years by now.

More than a few.

Exceptionally talented, morally, totally corrupt and very hypercritical in his life when viewed
from the content of the message that his songs often delivered.

They are however still some of the best.

Report This Post