Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Data fetching in Webfocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Data fetching in Webfocus
 Login/Join

<Nathan>
posted
How does data fetching happens / optimized
in Webfocus ?
This relates to the architecture where the actual
database is RDBMS residing on different server.

When a large report is run by a user, is the data
cached for certain amount of time, based on any system parameters ?
( So any other user running similar query
gets fast response ) ?
How are cache parameters set and what level ( based on time frame/ session ? )

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Nathan,

Just curious here. Most moderm RDBMS systems (Oracle, DB2, SQL*Server, etc) already provide very sophisticated caching/buffering support. Unless your answer sets are very large or your network is very slow, it's not clear to me that there is any significant advantage to re-caching data pages on the machine running WebFOCUS. And... if WebFOCUS is running on the same machine as your RDBMS, then I don't see any gain at all. Could you provide some more details?

Eric

<Nathan>
posted
Erich

I totally understand your point.
Unfortunately the person who manages the team
has good RDBMS/DBA background, but no BI tool
experience.

To my understanding Webfocus builds
dynamic query for each connection
and there is no caching on webserver of the output result set. i.e. one cannot set manually
cache size etc. for this purpose.

But wanted to make sure, since I have not
done sys admin type of function ( and now may
be required to do so ! )

Report This Post