Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] commented out text gets moved ?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] commented out text gets moved ?
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
something odd i've noticed happening today, which is that, when i comment out a piece of the code just to see how it works without + then try to run the report from the GUI, i get a message telling me the comments will be moved to the top of the report (btw, this is in 7.6.5)

which for someone who is used to comments staying in place in languages like PHP, ASP or .NET is a bit unsettling

i've been told by a works colleague this is normal behaviour, and he didn't know of any way to avoid it - is this true ? + if it is, are there any frigs to get around the problem ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marnixR,

WebFocus 7.6.5 - Windows XP - admin of http://thescienceforum.org/ and Philosophorum

Posts: 30 | Location: Port Talbot | Registered: November 09, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Don't use the GUI.

The GUI cannot handle coments in a table request, this is why it moves them. Be glad that you are on a later version. The earlier ones deleted the comments.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply, even though i don't like the answer
looks like someone should make their GUI more sensible when it comes to comments

fair enough that i should do most of my work in the text editor, but not being able to use the GUI at all once you commented anything out seems too much like restrictive practice to me Frowner

WebFocus 7.6.5 - Windows XP - admin of http://thescienceforum.org/ and Philosophorum

Posts: 30 | Location: Port Talbot | Registered: November 09, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
"frigs"?

You can still run the fex from Dev Studio, just don't open it with the GUI tool unless you uncomment the code with a text editor. Since you commented out code with a text editor, use the same to uncomment. This is one of the quite annoying, well-known behavioural problems of the Dev Studio GUI tool.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you think about it, DS will take a section of the Fex, load it into the Report Painter(Or what ever), and then write the section back when finished.

I think it would be quite difficult to keep the comments in the same place.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
so basically, WebFocus can't handle comments inside active components like tables, definitions etc.

pity

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, you go into a GUI Editor, and commnets will be moved.
To paraphrase from "A Few Good Men"
quote:
WebFOCUS Can't Handle The Comments

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
thanks - at least now i know it's not something silly i've missed

Expert
posted Hide Post
Or Dialogue Manager.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
i hate to expose my ignorance here, but what is Dialogue Manager ?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dialogue Manager is a very powerful scripting language separate from the WebFOCUS Reporting Language. The Dev Studio GUI tool does not handle Dialogue Manager - it just wouldn't know what to do.

Documentation: Developing Reporting Applications > Managing Flow of Control in an Application

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There is a host of info on DM in the forum.

It is a "Pre Processing script", prior to executing the FOCUS code.

DM command start with a dash "-"

The general Rule for having DM in an active component means no going back to the GUI editor.

If your DM commands are outside of TABLE, DEFINE, etc, they are supported in DS.

I think when WF 7 came out, you could show a graphical representation of the DM IF THEN ELSE GOTO logic.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
so, in short, anything that's looks a bit like interesting programming won't fit with use of the GUI

presumably time to ditch it and sharpen up my text editing skills

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not really, at least not in my experience.
What I use the GUI for mostly is to to quickly create my reports with styling and all. I then go in with the text editor to make it more flexible, but only if that is necessary.
I have made it my standard for GUI-based procedures to add comments BEFORE the table request, not within. That way the comments will always stay where I put them, and not get moved around the code.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Some clients require that changes to production code be highlighted with comments in the code at the point of change. It is more useful to place explanatory comments with the code it describes rather than at the top of the program or elsewhere. Comments within the code are also more likely to be updated when the code is being modified. More importantly, I cannot imagine building a robust FOCUS/WebFOCUS application without generous use of Dialogue Manager (for testing control/debugging, calling standardized code, looping, flow control, reading temporary files, writing logs, etc.). IBI has made great strides with GUI functionality, but for a number of reasons (some mentioned here) most WF application developers will find use of the text editor and intimate knowledge of the language to be necessities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Satchell,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
presumably time to ditch it and sharpen up my text editing skills

Now we're talking! Based on my personal experience, I've found that in most cases the GUI is an excellent tool to make an initial draft of a report and to assist in creating certain initial structures (such as JOINS) but after a while you'll usually find yourself spending more time with the text editor than with the GUI particularly when it comes to more complex code.

I personally dislike the way the style sheet keywords get arranged by the GUI; one keyword per line makes the code unnecessarily long to browse and it does not matter if you tidy them up in the editor to give it your "personal touch" for as soon as you open your TABLE FILE piece with the GUI away goes your little piece of art Frowner

Anyway, I still like Developer Studio a lot even if I'm not particularly keen on the Report Painter. Just try creating a report from the MRE web environment and you'll inevitably fall in love with Dev.Studio Wink

Neftali.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
so basically, WebFocus can't handle comments inside active components like tables, definitions etc.

Not to be picky about semantics but technically WebFOCUS *can* handle comments and it does it very well. It is the Report Painter element within Dev. Studio which has those limitations but all in all I think it does a pretty decent job Music

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Expert
posted Hide Post
"assist in creating certain initial structures (such as JOINS)" - I'm not so sure about that. It will allow you to join anything to anything without a fuss - oranges to snow tires if you want, you still need to use your noggin coding or pointing-and-clicking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

posted Hide Post
"MarnixR",

If you really want to have your code with comments imbeded and you need/want to go into the GUI, you can either make a copy of your fex before you open the GUI or you can copy the text into notepad or another text editor and save a copy before you open the GUI. You can then paste the text back into the fex and you will not loose a thing. You will also know where your comments belong if you want to just paste the comments back in.

If you make frequent backups of your code (before you do major changes) it saves you time and frustration when you screw over some code that was working before you tried to modify it.

WebFOCUS 7.6.4
Windows XP against an Oracle Database mainly SCT Banner Higher Education ODS and EDW
Various output formats

Guy Brenckle
Budget Analyst
University of Northern Colorado

Posts: 25 | Location: Greeley Colorado | Registered: October 08, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree with Francis. As I said, it assists in "initial structures" but they are mostly drafts and you may need to "refine" them after.

I haven't used the JOIN tool in a looooong time because I personally found it takes longer to use the GUI (it usually takes a bit of time to obtain the whole list of master files available depending on your environment) than it takes to use the editor and key in the statements directly; I couldn't do it now anyway as I am using Dev. Studio 7.6.9 against a WF 5.3.4 environment and it just can't parse the master files. At least I can now comment several lines of code out in one single click unlike DS 5.3 where a -* needed to be typed in (or copied/pasted on) each line of code; hmmm, now that I think about it I think it was actually this feature which made me choose DS 7.6 over the previous version even if I could not use the GUI components; being able to easily comment out pieces of code proved more valuable to me Smiler

Expert
posted Hide Post
oranges to snow tires Big Grin

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you make frequent backups of your code (before you do major changes) it saves you time and frustration when you screw over some code that was working before you tried to modify it.

just a thought that occurred to me, and maybe a bit off-topic, but could i use SourceSafe for this sort of back-up ?

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snow Tyres

We've just has a day of 44.7°C thats 112.4°F Sweating

No snow tyres here, just melted roads.

Looks like the general concensus is start iwth the GUI and end with the text editor. I think that is a good idea for the beginner.

After a while you will probably just copy and existing program that does most of what you want, and edit it.

The good thing about using the text editor, it that it forces you to know and understand the code. Smiler

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
you still need to use your noggin coding or pointing-and-clicking
Too true Francis, which is why folks still bang on about getting basic training before starting. Even end user report writers need a basic knowledge of data structures if they are going to be really productive (especially if the data warehouse folks are as well trained Wink

Waz, at least you spelt "tyres" correctly Razzer - "Tires" being the act of becoming "tired".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tyres is one of the few words we Canadians spell incorrectly.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tyres is one of the few words we Canadians spell incorrectly.

Not necessarily. From: http://www.itec-tireshow.com/h...Tire%20or%20tyre.pdf

quote:

Tire or tyre?
Depends on where you are
Americans write “tire,” while the British prefer “tyre.” Is one more correct than the
other?
Etymologists have suggested two possible derivations of the word “tire/tyre.”
One comes from the original function of the tire as the metal hoop or band of iron
that “tied” or bound the wheel together. In this usage, referring to wagon wheels
and the like, tire has consistently been spelled with an “i” on both sides of the
Atlantic.
The other possible origin of the word and the one which has the greater
etymological support is the word “attire,” from which the short first syllable was
dropped over time.
In this sense, the tire is the attire or dressing of the wheel. As etymologist Webb
Garrison explained in his book, “What’s in a Word?”
“For centuries, any type of dress or equipment was commonly known
as attire. Careless pronunciation clipped off the first syllable so that it
became customary to speak of both useful and ornamental coverings as
’tire. This name applied to a multitude of objects from a woman’s frock
to the curved iron plates used to ‘dress up’ wheels of carts and wagons.”
Two of the most authoritative dictionaries of the English language, “Webster’s
Third New International” in the United States and “The Oxford English Dictionary”
in Britain, agree with Garrison.
The Oxford dictionary, the British standard, says tyre is a variant spelling of tire
( implying that tire is the more etymologically correct spelling ). Regarding the
spelling, the dictionary’s entry under “Tire” says:
“From 15th to 17th c. spelt tire and tyre indifferently. Before 1700 tyre
became generally obsolete, and tire remained the regular form, as it still does
in America; but in Great Britain tyre has been revived as the popular term for
the rubber rim of bicycle, tricycle, carriage, or motor car wheels, and is
sometimes used for the steel tires of locomotive wheels.”
In 1956, Philip Schidrowitz, writing in the “European Rubber Journal,” argued for
the British spelling of tyre, by pointing out that the official spelling in the various
classified publications of the British patent office has consistently been with a “y.”
Nevertheless, he also noted that the patent for the first pneumatic tire, that of
R.W. Thomson in 1845, used the spelling “tire.” However, Schidrowitz
contended that Thomson used the word as applying only to the rim of the wheel,
referring to his own invention as an “elastic belt” or “elastic bearing.”
The British evidently resurrected the archaic spelling −tyre− to distinguish
between the modern pneumatic tire, made of rubber, and its iron predecessor,
used on wagon wheels.
In the United States, no such distinction was made and the more etymologically
pure spelling, tire, was retained.
Given that the need for distinguishing between iron and rubber tires has largely
disappeared, perhaps the British will give up their spelling of the word. This
seems unlikely to happen soon.
Smiler
For them it’s likely a matter of honor − or, as they would put it, “honour.”

Coloured text is not part or the original quote; I apologise (or should I say apologize?) for the rather long quote but I found the subject quite interesting.

- Neftali.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Snow tires are in urgent demand right now. Go to your nearest Canadian Tires and grap a set of snow tires now!

Then go tell IBI we want freedom to comment! Dan Satchell said it all. Comments are just as important as the executable codes, in GUI or in TEXT.

Have a safe and happy day.

Hua from Windypeg,NP

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then go tell IBI we want freedom to comment! Dan Satchell said it all. Comments are just as important as the executable codes, in GUI or in TEXT.

if any IBI people are reading this, please take note - i totally concur with the above sentiments

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marnixR,

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tire or tyre?

I didn't even notice the difference.

Perhaps just go with the phonetic spelling to confuse things even more.

According to my Australian Dictionary:
quote:
Taiə

Comments below written in Australian English

As for the Comments moving, it is one thing that stops me from using DS more, it can be quite important to have comments against pieces of code explaining what is it doing, in particular complex calculations.

If DS could be stopped rewriting the code it would be quite useful.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984