Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Quickly Find TABLENAME for Medata/Synonym

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Quickly Find TABLENAME for Medata/Synonym
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for a way to quickly look through 1500+ synonym files to locate any reference to a specific table name (TABLENAME). Is there a WebFOCUS system table that stores this type of information?

Reason: When creating metadata/synonym on our mainframe we are limited to an 8-character length. Any DB2 table names longer than 8-characters have to be shortened. Unfortunately, in the past we did not have a naming convention so it was user’s choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChadSS,

Posts: 26 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: January 22, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ona mainframe, i don't know.
If you were on windows, you can use TEXTPAD, which is a free/cheap text editor and rocks.
the feature under the Search option is 'Find in files' which lets you search all files, by filetype or not, with or w/o wildcards in names, and subdirectories or not.
its companion, WILDEDIT, lets you change strings in a bunch of files at once. for a geek, that's about as uber-dangerous as it gets.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You might be able to write a fex for this.

There is a WebFOCUS system table called SYSTABLE that has some columns that describe all the masters in the app folders. The columns you're interested in are NAME (master names) and REALNAME (db table name). This, unfortunately, does not tell you which app folder the master is located in.

TABLE FILE SYSTABLE
PRINT
SEG.NAME

WHERE READLIMIT EQ 100
WHERE NAME LIKE 'mytables_%'
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis, I'm glad to see you reply to the question. I borrow from your code examples all the time...

I'll give it a try and get back to everyone.

Posts: 26 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: January 22, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked perfectly. Thanks Francis!

Expert
posted Hide Post
here's a fex that uses two system tables to determine the master name, db name, app name:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

SET ASNAMES=ON
SET HOLDFORMAT=ALPHA
SET HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
SET ALL=ON
-RUN

TABLE FILE SYSTABLE
PRINT *
BY NAME
ON TABLE HOLD AS HSYSTABLE
END
-RUN

DEFINE FILE SYSFILES
APPNAME/A20 = GETTOK(PHNAME, 80, 1, '/', 20, 'A20');
END

TABLE FILE SYSFILES
PRINT
APPNAME
BY FILENAME
ON TABLE HOLD AS HSYSFILES
END
-RUN

JOIN NAME IN HSYSTABLE TO ALL FILENAME IN HSYSFILES AS J1
-RUN

TABLE FILE HSYSTABLE
PRINT
NAME
FILENAME
APPNAME
REALNAME

SEG.NAME
SEG.FILENAME
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Also remember that SYSTABLE only works on the current APP PATH, so if you have other folders not in the path, you may have to add them with an APP APPENDPATH/PREPENDPATH

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Run this procedure from the DMC:

EX IMPCTSYN SEND_TO=WCF, SYN_NAME=ggorder

Or you can just use the Impact Analysis from the DMC <== way easier!

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post