Focal Point
Renaming an Amper field in the GUI

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9551077331

March 31, 2004, 08:56 PM
Melissa H
Renaming an Amper field in the GUI
We're running WebFocus 5.2.4 and I am trying to use the GUI more. I have a field in my report that is an amper variable. The user selects a measure from the launch page and that measure appears in the variable field in the report. My question is, how do I change the column title for the measure that comes back using the GUI? For instance if the measure coming back is GROSSPROFIT I want it to say Gross Profit (no underscore). GROSSPROFIT is also a defined field so I can't change the field alias in the master file.
I know how to do this in code - I just want to know if it can be done in the GUI?
April 01, 2004, 05:12 AM
<pranas>
Just one suggestion:

>"I can't change the field alias in the master file."

Your should use " AS 'Value to display'" syntax directly in FEX procedure instead of changing alias in the master file

Sample:

-SET &COLUMN_TITLE='Model,name';
-SET &COLUMN=MODEL;

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT &COLUMN AS &COLUMN_TITLE
END
If you mean GUI is Developer Studio. I've stopped using it. Direct had written FEX coding is extremely flexible comparing to "static" reports created via Developer Studio.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,
April 01, 2004, 04:07 PM
Melissa H
Thanks, but like I said, I already know how to accomplish that using the code.

I agree the code is much more flexible but the GUI has progressed quite a bit especially in the newest release and I just wondered if it could be done that way. I guess I will have to go back to coding by hand. Anyone else had any luck with this in the GUI?
April 01, 2004, 05:31 PM
susannah
well, if your're talking about Reporting Objects, and the GUI there, then you can set the TITLE attribute in the master file description for the Reporting Object, and the purpose of the TITLE field is to be the column header in the reports.
so..actually, if you enter a TITLE attribute in the MFD in devstudio, you'll get the same thing.
I, like Pranas, don't use the GUI either, but i do create RepObjs for my users.
April 01, 2004, 05:34 PM
<Kyle>
I think you simply want the default field title in the MFD to appear by default when you run the report. In DevStudio524, simply right click on amper field and choose Column Title. Click the default button and Ok. This simply removes the default "AS '&variable'" from the end of the field.

I've noticied 1 issue with this in 5.2.4, when you reopen the report the "AS '&variable'" is added back to the report.