Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     parse xml data in webfocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
parse xml data in webfocus
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hi,
Having an xml data of length 2000 and trying to parse the data in webfocus.

Anybody know how we can do this, Please let me know.

Thanks
Kamesh

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
In 5.21 there is an XML adapter- you can create a master file from a dtd.

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
can you explain me how we can do this?

Guru
posted Hide Post
Are you in a hub-sub environment? Can you log onto your server console?

Master
posted Hide Post
hub-sub environment - ????

I'm having access to see server console.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Can you go to "DATA Adapters", then "ADD", and find XML in the list of adapters available? After you add it, you can go to "Metadata" then "Add" and see the XML adapter there. You choose that and pick the directory where you have a dtd that describes the xml file. From there it will create a master file.
You should be able to find more information in the console's help screens. In my version it is under "Server Administration", "Configuring Data Adapters", "Data Adapter for XML".

Master
posted Hide Post
The XML adapter is a great feature not only can you use XML as a datasource, but webfocus can publish out data as an xml document. Just be sure that you are licensed to use it.

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I'm not able to do the way you mentioned bcoz we don't have DTD. We are storing xml data's in a field of varchar 2000 in DB2 database.

I'm able to retrieve the data through sql but it consists an xml tags. I want to parse this xml and get the information needed.

Thanks
Kamesh

Guru
posted Hide Post
Search the IBI Knowledge Base for an article entitled:
"Reporting XML Content of a Data Source".
Also in the 5.32 documentation is:
"Create a Synonym to Access XML Documents From Relational DBMS CLOB Fields".

I haven't done this myself, but this sounds like what you are wanting to do.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Maintain had some pretty neat text manipulation capabilities. I 've used it in similar situations to construct a filters that parse long records into component parts, and store them in an appropriate structure.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Can we use Maintain in our regular webfocus code?
Or else do we need to add any patch on our webfocus server.

Master
posted Hide Post
Maintain is part of the standard WebFOCUS server functionally - meaning, you can developed maintain apps with DevStudio and DevStudio gives you a single-use license for development.

When it's time to deploy applications that use it you will need to license it. But it's not expensive and well worth the license fee.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There's nothing to install (it's there in the server) -- but lot's of learning curve -- and there may be a license issue. Check with the saleman. (I cannot speak for IBI - I am no longer their employee.)

Note that Maintain has several flavors. This (data filters and transforms) is the non-persistent kind of maintain, and without any use of the presentation features (winforms).

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Somewhat I'm able to parse it upto some extent. I used POSIT to point some tag and from there used substring to retrieve each character occurence until I reach '<' . Then using MODIFY, I'm updating this to an table. It's working fine but if I have more records, getting an error "Out of Memory" error.

-Kamesh