Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Crazy DB2 error?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Can anyone give me a hand on why i get this error from the following DB2 query.
Its on the cast command, but im not sure why? It works fine in DB2 but not in the query for WF..

(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -170 (HEX: FFFFFF56)
: [42605] [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL0170N The number of arguments for fun
: ction "CHAR" is incorrect. SQLSTATE=42605
L (FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.
(FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED: CONFIG1
BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND

select case_ID,S.STAGE_DESC, O.office_desc || ' - ' || O.office_Code as strOffice, Closed_Date,
cast(Month(Closed_Date) AS char(2)) || '-' || cast(year(Closed_Date) AS char(4)) Date1,

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
SQL0170N The number of arguments for function "CHAR" is incorrect. SQLSTATE=42605

looks like this is the main problem, difficult to know what is wrong without the query and the used formulas

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
First of all, you must use the SQL concatenation character '+' and not the FOCUS one '|'.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis this is hitting db2 tables so the '|' are a necessity?

Im fairly sure the error is on
cast(Month(Closed_Date) AS char(2)) || '-' || cast(year(Closed_Date) AS char(4)) Date1

as the query worked fine until i am trying to select the month and year form the 'Closed_date' value coming in. Im just not sure if there is a focus command to replace the cast command.

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Erney,

Don't know if Closed_Date is a date-time stamped column or not, I'll assume it is. Also, you have a JOIN somewhere based on your 2nd and 3rd SELECT columns, why not the other columns??

Anyways,

select
case_ID,
S.STAGE_DESC,
O.office_desc || ' - ' || O.office_Code as strOffice,
DATE(Closed_Date),
cast(Month(Closed_Date) AS char(2)) || '-' || cast(year(Closed_Date) AS char(4)) as Date1,

OR

SUBSTRING(Closed_Date 6,7) + '-' + SUBSTRING(Closed_Date 1,4) AS Date1

Syntax, probably...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
select 
case_ID,
S.STAGE_DESC, 
O.office_desc || ' - ' || O.office_Code as strOffice, 
Closed_Date,
cast(Month(Closed_Date) AS char(2)) || '-' || cast(year(Closed_Date) AS char(4)) Date1,

Are you sure that '|' is DB2 SQL syntax?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
cast(Month(Closed_Date) AS char(2)) || '-' || cast(year(Closed_Date) AS char(4)) as Date1,

I attached the whole query just for reference
but i am still recieveing a error.
The date is formatted date-time. Thanks for the help, im getting closer.

(FOC14027) UNRECOGNIZED MINIPARSER COMMAND 'APP'
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -170 (HEX: FFFFFF56)
: [42605] [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL0170N The number of arguments for fun
: ction "CHAR" is incorrect. SQLSTATE=42605
L (FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.

SELECT CASE_ID,S.STAGE_DESC, O.OFFICE_DESC || ' - ' || O.OFFICE_CODE AS STROFFICE, DATE(CLOSED_DATE),
T.CASE_DESC,U.ESIGNATURE_PIN,
O.OFFICE_ID,U.FIRST_NAME,U.LAST_NAME,O.OFFICE_DESC FROM DB2ADMIN_TKCASE C
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKSTAGE S ON C.STAGE_ID = S.STAGE_ID
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKUSERS U ON C.USER_ID = U.USER_ID
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKOFFIC O ON O.OFFICE_ID = C.OFFICE_ID
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKCASET T ON T.CASE_TYPE_ID = C.CASE_TYPE_ID
WHERE C.CASE_TYPE_ID IN(1,2)
AND DATE(CLOSED_DATE) BETWEEN '07/01/2006' AND '10/01/2007'
AND U.LAST_NAME = 'Billy'
AND U.FIRST_NAME = 'Bob'
GROUP BY O.OFFICE_ID,O.OFFICE_DESC,O.OFFICE_CODE,U.FIRST_NAME,U.LAST_NAME,CASE_ID,
CLOSED_DATE,T.CASE_DESC,S.STAGE_DESC,U.ESIGNATURE_PIN;

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey Francis,

No, never used the concat bar in DB2, although, I never tried; always used +, as in, the SUBSTRING example, AND, in your suggestion....

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Weird... I have tried adding the line SUBSTRING(Closed_Date 6,7) + '-' + SUBSTRING(Closed_Date 1,4) AS Date1

And got the following error. It seems like i have my syntax messed up somewhere.

(FOC14069) SYNTAX ERROR ON LINE 3 AT '6' -- Expected ')'

SQL
SELECT CASE_ID,S.STAGE_DESC, O.OFFICE_DESC || ' - ' || O.OFFICE_CODE AS STROFFICE, DATE(CLOSED_DATE),
T.CASE_DESC,U.ESIGNATURE_PIN,
SUBSTRING(Closed_Date 6,7) + '-' + SUBSTRING(Closed_Date 1,4) AS Date1,
O.OFFICE_ID,U.FIRST_NAME,U.LAST_NAME,O.OFFICE_DESC FROM DB2ADMIN_TKCASE C
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKSTAGE S ON C.STAGE_ID = S.STAGE_ID
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKUSERS U ON C.USER_ID = U.USER_ID
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKOFFIC O ON O.OFFICE_ID = C.OFFICE_ID
INNER JOIN DB2ADMIN_TKCASET T ON T.CASE_TYPE_ID = C.CASE_TYPE_ID
WHERE C.CASE_TYPE_ID IN(1,2)
AND DATE(CLOSED_DATE) BETWEEN '07/01/2006' AND '10/01/2007'
AND U.LAST_NAME = 'Billy'
AND U.FIRST_NAME = 'Bob'
GROUP BY O.OFFICE_ID,O.OFFICE_DESC,O.OFFICE_CODE,U.FIRST_NAME,U.LAST_NAME,CASE_ID,
CLOSED_DATE,T.CASE_DESC,S.STAGE_DESC,U.ESIGNATURE_PIN;

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Erney,

Chasing your tail - split up the code then CONCAT them:

DATE(CLOSED_DATE) AS 'C_DATE'
cast(Month(C_DATE) AS char(2)) AS 'MTH',
cast(year(C_DATE) AS char(4)) AS 'YR',
MTH CONCAT ‘-‘ CONCAT YR AS 'Date1',

Also, which file is Closed_Date in, I assume C table???

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Erney,

MY BAD, I gave bad info:

SUBSTR(Closed_Date 6,2) + '-' + SUBSTR((Closed_Date 1,4) AS Date1

Sorry!!

Did a quick GOOGLE search for you, should help you - need to know how the date is being stored/extracted:

DB2 Info

Edit: Add URL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
SUBSTR(Closed_Date 6,2) + '-' + SUBSTR((Closed_Date 1,4) AS Date1

I changed it and still cannot get it to work

(FOC14069) SYNTAX ERROR ON LINE 3 AT '6' -- Expected ')'

SQL
select case_ID,S.STAGE_DESC, O.office_desc || ' - ' || O.office_Code as strOffice,
C.Closed_Date,T.Case_Desc,U.Esignature_pin,O.Office_ID,U.First_Name,U.Last_Name,O.Office_Desc,
SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date 6,2) + '-' + SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date 1,4) AS Date1
from db2admin_tkcase C
inner join db2admin_tkstage S on C.Stage_ID = S.Stage_ID
inner join db2admin_tkusers U on C.User_Id = U.User_Id
inner join db2admin_tkoffic O on O.Office_Id = C.Office_ID
inner join db2admin_tkcaset T on T.Case_Type_Id = C.Case_Type_Id
where C.CASE_TYPE_ID IN(1,2) and DATE(C.closed_date) BETWEEN '07/01/2006' AND '10/01/2007'
AND U.FIRST_NAME like 'Billy' AND U.LAST_NAME like 'Bob'
group by Closed_Date,o.office_ID,O.Office_Desc,O.OFFICE_CODE,U.First_Name,U.Last_Name,case_ID,T.Case_Desc,S.STAGE_DESC,U.Esignature_pin;

Im going to have to try and figure out a different way to do this, guys, seriously, thanks a million for the help.

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
(SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date 6,2) + '-' + SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date 1,4)) AS Date1

how about these brackets....

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not too sure why we're trying to solve a DB2 SQL issue here, but I think you may require a refresher on DB2 SQL.

The syntax for the SUBSTR function looks wrong - you're missing a comma.

SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date 6,2)
should be
SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date, 6, 2)

This book will help:

DB2 SQL Reference

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

GOOD CATCH, MY TYPO:
quote:

SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date 6,2)
should be
SUBSTR(C.Closed_Date, 6, 2)

But, for your other question,

We assist with SQL because WF now utilizes SQL extensively.
We assist with Javascript because WF now utilizes JS extensively.
We assist with HTML/DHTML because WF now utilizes HTML/DHTML extensively.
We assist with XML because WF now utilizes XML extensively.

Not trying to be rude, callous, insensitive, etc. but WF is the reason for non-FOCUS related questions.

Tom

P.S. Congrats on the 2000 posts

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's why I use WF, never have to learn all the different S(tandard)QL dialects for MySQL, MSQL, ORACLE, Sybase and all the others....

Just TABLE FILE xxx....

(I know it is not that easy....)

Frank

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom, of course, you're right. But when the issue is pure DB2 SQL and unrelated to WebFOCUS, perhaps some digging around on the web for answers is the smart way to go. I still think the | is not a concatenation character in DB2 SQL.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Next...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Guess we all made a "mountian out of a molehill".

I fixed the problem with a simple define statement.

Define
NewDate/MYY = Closed_Date;

By the way, Francis, if you were to run my original DB2 query it would run perfectly fine against DB2, but copy and past the exact query into web focus, change the table names to match web focus synonyms, and web focus did not like it, at all. Why im not sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Erney,

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Erney,

No, just a hill.

Francis is one of the most diverse contributors to this forum; his solutions are not only efficient, they assist a tremendous number of other programmers in their daily tasks.

I always try to assist in SQL because WebFOCUS/FOCUS code is actually converted to SQL against RDBMS. I also mentor on using SQL exclusively when crossing platforms. I thought that may be what you were doing; Use SQL to extract, WebFOCUS to produce. Obviously, with your final result, that actually may be the case.

At any rate, don't become a hermit; too much info here to assist...

P.S. Don't know why SUBSTR wouldn't have worked, either!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom Flynn,

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Gold member
posted Hide Post
One thing i forgot to do was thank Frank, Francis and Tom. Thanks guys, you are the best!

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Expert
posted Hide Post
Erney,

I'm wondering why you are using the WebFOCUS synonyms in your SQL passthru request - that may be the reason why the SQL works outside WebFOCUS but not inside WebFOCUS.

The following code accesses a DB2 table not using a WF synonym

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
SET SQLENGINE=DB2
-RUN
SQL
SELECT 
T1.PERIOD_END_DT, T1.DAY_OF_WEEK, T1.DAY_OF_MTH
FROM BASEL.TIME_D T1
FETCH FIRST 100 ROWS ONLY
FOR FETCH ONLY;
END
-RUN

When I run the following code which references a WF synonym, I get a syntax error

(FOC14069) SYNTAX ERROR ON LINE 4 AT 'FETCH' -- Semi-colon or END expected

probably because FETCH is not recognized when running SQL against a WF synonym

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
SQL
SELECT 
T1.PERIOD_END_DT, T1.DAY_OF_WEEK, T1.DAY_OF_MTH
FROM BASEL_TIME_D T1
FETCH FIRST 100 ROWS ONLY
FOR FETCH ONLY;
END
-RUN

In your code, do you specify the engine? If not, then perhaps the SQL request is going against the WF synonym and WF is expecting a particular flavour of SQL that isn't DB2.

I always set the engine and then use the engine's SQL syntax.

(You may need to set the server as well, if you have multiple servers:
SQL SET SERVER data-adapter-name

Cheers,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET SQLENGINE=DB2

This is very interesting. I am curious to see if the sqlengine is actually set by the WF admin on the wf server?. Since we are not admins we do not get to play around with the settings of the server itself.

We are running about 75 reports everyday out to the report library through report caster, using this SQL, so its not like we havent done this before. But we were always wondering why we had to change the db2 table names to match the synonyms on webfocus.

I am going to try and add this sqlengine=db2 command to a report and see how it goes.

Thanks a bunch

WF 7.1.7- Windows XP

Master
posted Hide Post
Well spotted Francis!

I am guessing that wf permits ANSI standard sql against ANY type of wf synonym (including XFOCUS files as we saw in an earlier posting).

The CAST is certainly DB2 specific (never seen in Oracle or SQL Server) and thus is not recognised.

Erney, as Francis says, just change the table name from the wf synonym name (tablename only) to the db2 name schema.tablename.

This probably explains a whole raft of weirdness!

quote:

I am curious to see if the sqlengine is actually set by the WF admin on the wf server?.

Erney this will be set in EDASPROF.PRF probably by your wf admin. You can override this by coding it explicitly in your code.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

Almost let this go:

quote:
The CAST is certainly DB2 specific (never seen in Oracle or SQL Server) and thus is not recognised.

CAST is a universal SQL89,92,99 function:

ORACLE: CAST(RETAIL_COST - DEALER_COST as decimal(9,2)) AS 'TOT_PROFIT‘
MSSQL : CAST(RETAIL_COST - DEALER_COST as decimal(9,2)) AS 'TOT_PROFIT‘
DB2 : CAST(RETAIL_COST - DEALER_COST as decimal(9,2)) AS 'TOT_PROFIT‘

ORACLE: ('$' || TOT_PROFIT) PROFIT --- ORACLE implicity converts numeric data to character strings when Concatenating character strings.
MSSQl : '$' + CAST(TOT_PROFIT as VARCHAR(10)) PROFIT
DB2 : CONCAT('$', CAST(TOT_PROFIT as CHAR(12))) PROFIT

FYI...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Master
posted Hide Post
You're spot on there Tom.

What I meant to say... Smiler

WebFOCUS SQL is ANSI Level 2 SQL compliant (how this translates to various years standards I hope someone can enlighten me).

It does not include the CAST amongst the list of scalar functions it supports.

As explained in the Creating Report manual, SQL Chapter

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We use SQL passthru against DB2 UDB. The syntax of ||'-'|| is a proper manner of concatenation. Hope this helps,

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes thank you, it appears to be. I did not know that.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
it's sql99, use two pipes 'a' || '-' || 'b'
yields a-b

+ is a ms sql operator as far as I know. IBM thinks it's a plus sign.

sql99 will implicitly typecast your values for you in a concatenation, so you could just do this
do a month(datefield) || '-' || year(datefield)

but, when it implicitly typecasts a date (and this is in *blah* db2 UDB for an iseries) it keeps the month at 8 flippin characters, padding it was what seem to be ASCII space characters (don't get me started on a rant about the UDB db2 version)
so,
select
trim(char(month(current_date))) || '-' || trim(char(year(current_date)))
from system.sysdummyx

This works on an iSeries with *blah* DB2 UDB, so it WILL work on an actual database DB2 database.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason K.,

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.