Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Excel Formula question

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Excel Formula question
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Since I have a field that sometimes produces real strings and sometimes produces numeric values, WebFOCUS produces the column to Excel as strings with quotes around them so even when they are numeric values, Excel can't treat them as strings.

I'm wondering if I can trick Excel and try to put a formula into the field so if the field was equal to 100, I would put in '=100' as the value. However, when I do that, I just get an '=100' displayed in the cell. Is there any way to do this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Release: WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Output formats: HTML, PDF, Excel, csv

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Channy,

Here are some documents on the techsupport website that may be of help:

Changing double quotes to single quotes
Tranforming an Excel into a flat file
Suppress quotes around alpha data when held to .csv filetype

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks... Unfortunately it is telling me it always puts quotes (it doesn't check to see if there is a space or other reason to put them - it just does it). Which means I am out of luck. :-(

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChannyS:
Since I have a field that sometimes produces real strings and sometimes produces numeric values, WebFOCUS produces the column to Excel as strings with quotes around them so even when they are numeric values, Excel can't treat them as strings.

they may be numeric values but they are in alpha format, you will probably need to use Macros/VBA in conjunction with a template to get round this...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nubi,

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
take a look at this post

http://forums.informationbuild...741093113#7741093113

add a macro to remove the extra column

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you create an extra column of numeric format that contains the 'translated' value of the original column (by using FTOA or just good old plain EDIT)? If the original field has non-numerics in it, the 'translation' will produce 0 as a result.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
JG - in regard to macros - back to the Excel 2007 problem....

GamP - sometimes I really do want alpha values (like NA for example) so zero's won't do.