Focal Point
[SOLVED] jQuery + WebFOCUS

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/961100934

May 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
njsden
[SOLVED] jQuery + WebFOCUS
Oh boy, this is getting more and more exciting. I can't wait to find a time space to try this out. It's just amazing to explore the new presentation effects and functional features that could be implemented.
Good One

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.
May 13, 2010, 12:16 PM
dhagen
quote:
Originally posted by Roy D:
I've not used JQuery but I have used Prototype extensively in my projects and the one gotcha I've experienced is multi-drill doesn't work. There is some interference between the IB JS libraries and approach. The workaround is tricky but involves placing pages have multi-drilldown in iframes.

JQuery provides specifics for working with other prototypes and prevent conflicts. Anyone using JQuery on an existing HTML page that is generated by Dev Studio should consider this. This is especially true in the next release since the bindows JS framework will be everywhere, and PrototypeJS is bundled in other IB product offerings.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
May 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
Francis Mariani
Thanks very much for that link dhagen.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
May 13, 2010, 01:23 PM
DavSmith
dhagen, yes thanks for the link. That should prove useful in case jQuery conflicts with IBI's frameworks (Bindows, Prototype, etc)

Last month at our most recent North Texas User Group meeting, one of the IBI engineers gave a talk on 7.7 and 8.0 discussed Bindows as being the framework behind InfoAssist and going forward the framework behind any new visual interfaces.

If you check out Bindows there is even a link to a press release from IBI regarding the selection of Bindows in 2006.

I'm assuming since Bindows is supplied with WebFocus, we will have access to it's methods and properties. I will have to explore whether Bindows supplies everything that jQuery does or will still need to use in tandem.

Thanks again!

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle
May 14, 2010, 09:47 AM
DavSmith
Norb, This is excellent. Your pop-up really POPS!

Which bubble help/pop-up plugin did you use?

On creating a separate area in Focus Point for adding developer enhancements / discoveries, that's a great idea. While there is already the Focus Tips and Techniques page on the IBI website, I think it's too formal and you can't respond directly. If in Focal Point, I think a more lively discussion could ensue (scrubbed of the 7 words you CAN'T say on TV!).

Sub-topics/folders could be arranged like:

UI/BORDERS/ROUNDED CORNERS
UI/COLORS/GRADIENTS
UI/POPUPS
UI/TREE
UI/TABS
UI/FRAMES
UI/GRIDS
FLEX/ENABLE
FLEX/BUILDER
GOOGLEMAPS

And maybe this should only be for topics that can be developed with WebFocus helpers like jQuerty / Prototype, etc. And maybe it should contain full code, screenshots, docs using the CAR database. I don't know...just airing some thoughts. Also not sure how to get soemthing like that started.

Cheers!

David

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle
May 14, 2010, 04:31 PM
Norb Eckert
Hi Dave,

I used a free little plug-in called "Facebox". You can download it here. http://famspam.com/facebox

It was easy to implement although I had to tweak the CSS file to fit my data into it appropriately.

It's gonna take some of the Focal Point heavyweight movers and shakers to get an example/code section added. However, I wouldn't want to limit it though. I've done a lot with self-developed Javascript (I didn't say good - just a lot) and wouldn't necessarily want to restrict things to frameworks only. And yes, full code or coded concepts, would be very helpful. I've seen some cool stuff at Summit that clients/users have developed but without the code it's just harder to understand or replicate the results.

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9
March 06, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hans
I'm doing a presentation in Chicago about webfocus with jquery. The interface is all written in HTML5 inside webfocus environment. Uses AJAX to call charts and reports. Drills down to multiple reports with one filter. Animated with effects without flash. Here's a screenshot.

http://www.network-data.com/jquerywebfocus.jpg

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs
March 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
DavSmith
Hans, looking good! Any other info on your project?

March 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
Norb Eckert
Hans,

I've done more stuff with JQuery and like it a lot. Glad to hear you're having success with it as well.

What are you using for the graphs display in the image? It would be interesting to see your slide deck for the presentation. Or are you going to be presenting this at Summit?

Norb

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9
March 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
David Briars
Hans,

Thanks for updating this thread.

I hope your presentation in Chicago went well.

We are using jQuery UI to build very useful standards-based frontend controls (auto-complete, calendar, drop-down multi-select,..).

The controls pass information to/from the backend WF reporting server, as necessary, via IB XML HTTP Requests.

I was hoping to put together a presentation for Summit 2012, but with June rapidly coming, looks more like Summit 2013.

Thanks again for the update,
Dave

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster
June 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
David Briars
FYI - There were two nice presentations on jQuery at Summit 2012:

1. Strategic Solutions and SaaS track - 'JQuery and WebFOCUS: Creating a Robust, Interactive Web Reporting Environment'

2. Tips and Techniques track - 'Enhancing Dashboards With jQuery'

Presentations are available on the Summit 2012 site: http://www.informationbuilders.com/events/summit

Kudos to the presenters.

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster