Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] WebFOCUS 7.7.02 - would like to switch between Dev Studio 7.7.02 and 7.6.8

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] WebFOCUS 7.7.02 - would like to switch between Dev Studio 7.7.02 and 7.6.8
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I have a 7.7.02 test environment and would like to switch between Dev Studio 7.7.02 and 7.6.8. I can run Dev Studio 7.7.02 without problems.

To switch to 7.6.8, I run the 7.6.8 version of thisfoci.bat and then focshell.exe - the Dev Studio 7.6.8 screen appears for a second and then disappears. I can't find any log files that might help me debug this issue.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The answer might be here, upgrade one version higher to v7.6.9:

http://forums.informationbuild...71057331/m/461103694

Interestingly, this post was found via a Google Search on the forum, but not via the forum search.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I should have realized it wasn't going to be easy. The document I referenced is quite confusing, or I've forgotten how to read English.

After un-installing and reinstalling both 7.7.02 and 7.6.8/7.6.9 I just cannot switch between the two releases.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with 7.7.01 and 7.6.9.

and.....

Gave up, well couldn't spend time on it.

I think its related to the WebSERVER and the WAR files, but not sure.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, after spending much too much time on this, I've given up too!

I've un-installed all versions of Dev Studio and reinstalled 7.6.8 - still cannot get it to work properly.

By the way, did you read that document, Installing Multiple Developer Studio Versions? I couldn't understand most of it, even though it's written in the same language my mother gave me!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I just had a look, and my suspicions were confirmed.

Looks like, but I may be wrong, that they are talking about installing each version either completely separately, including the alias's on the web server, and install locations, or partially, by using existing configurations.

I have to admit that the style of writing looks very legalese.

The party of the first part talks to the part of the second part

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Argh! I can't get Dev Studio 7.6.8 to work properly on Windows 7 64 bit. I select and run a report from the server area. When I return to the Dev Studio window and click on a program, Dev Studio freezes.

I tried turning on compatibility mode to Windows XP SP 3 and things are a tiny bit better. Now, I get that dreaded "This action cannot be completed because another program is busy. Choose 'Switch to'..." message.

Oh, this is annoying.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis, when you uninstalled everything, did you delete the ibi directories, and also did you clear the registry setting for IBI ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Information Builders

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
Oh, and also Tomcat as well

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
I did not do any of those things!

I have an instance of Apache Tomcat 6.0.20 running for my WebFOCUS environment so I did not install Tomcat when I installed Dev Studio. Is it actually possible to install a complete 768 environment within Dev Studio (including Tomcat and WF server) on the same machine where a 7.7.02 environment exists? I'd like to do that if posible.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think that Dev studio can be, with the WF server. The confusing doco stated it.

Not sure about Tomcat.

May need to check to see if two version of Tomcat can run at once.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think I had comparable problems installing the devstudio of 77. I'm not exactly sure, since in my case it just was an upgrade from a 76 release. But my 77 would not run at all, not even after cleaning registry, removing directories, re-installing and what not.
At last I had some sort of brainwave and deleted (!) the wfscom file that contains the definition of all environments. After that - everything ran ok again, I had to redefine my environments but DS worked fine again.
Don't know of course if this will also solve your problem.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This behavior does not sound right at all.

I'd open up a case with Techsupport so this can be fixed, or figured out what in your environment is making this difficult.

You can also open up a case and request a Doc Enhancement on any documentation that seems unclear.

The more you can highlight the sections that are unclear, the more likely the revised documentation will be a lot better.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
"In addition, developers who use a Developer Studio edition that allows local/standalone development can configure the new installation of Developer Studio as a custom configuration independent of their existing configuration while also having an independent configuration from a WebFOCUS installation that may be on their PC."

This sounds like three different installations: "new installation of Developer Studio", "existing configuration", "independent configuration" - but I think there are really only two.

"You can have Developer Studio 7.6.4 plus WebFOCUS 7.6.4. (In this case and for releases prior to 7.6.9, Developer Studio inherits the WebFOCUS configuration to allow the two products to coexist and be able to use Developer Studio development tools or thin client tools for WebFOCUS development). You also can install Developer Studio 7.6.10 to have its own configuration and work independently of the existing WebFOCUS configuration. Optionally you can let the new installation use the configuration of your existing WebFOCUS installation."

I'm having a difficult time untangling this pile of spaghetti.

The document discusses different installations of Developer Studio 7.6.* versions, it makes no mention of v7.7.*, so I don't really know if this document is relevant to my environment.

And, before I try any of this, I'd have to find out if Dev Studio 7.6.* are certified to run on Windows 7 64 bit PCs.

Thank you very much,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
7.6.11 and lower used only the wfscom.xml file. In 7.7 releases there are a lot more files stored in the same directory. It could very well be that the format of the xml file is different for 76 as for 77. That was probably the reason for the failure in my situation. My guess is that both versions are not quite compatible when it comes to the config file(s).

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
GamP,

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Francis