Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] User wants multiple Excel reports from one report launch

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] User wants multiple Excel reports from one report launch
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

I am writing a new program that can deliver a variety of different report types (detailed, summarised, etc), which are controlled by a drop down box 'Report Type' on the users data selection screen.

The program gathers data in the same way for each report, using the various data selections options available to the user. A common hold file is created by this process and then the different Excel reports are created, depending on the users Report Type choice.

Instead of the user having to run one report, then change the report type, run a 2nd report, change the report type and run a 3rd report etc, they would prefer for all the reports to be created from one launch.

I have run a quick test myself and it seems to me that once one Excel file has been created that nothing further down the program appears to happen (eg other Excel reports).

I have also tried calling different procedures to run the different reports, but again only the first Excel report appears.

So is it possible to do what I am trying to achieve? Ideally I don't want to repeat the process of gathering the data for the common hold file. I only want to do this once, and then for 3 or 4 Excel reports to appear,

Many thanks

Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus 765. iSeries v5r4

Posts: 175 | Location: England | Registered: April 11, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can only have a single output type delivered back to the browser in a request, unless you're creating a compound document. So what you've seen is that you cannot create multiple Excel reports in a single query. Once the browser is returned an answer set from the first query, it doesn't continue to wait for anything further.

As mentioned, you can create multiple worksheets within a SINGLE excel report using the compound layout (document composer, whatever it's called now) tools. You could also try Excel Pivot tables, Active HTML, or Flex technologies which allow further manipulation and outputs of the data without having to re-run the queries. (Active technologies and Flex are additional cost items.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Darin.

I am not sure where I would find the Document Composer? It is not listed as a ‘Create With’ type when I create a new document; therefore I assume we do not have this feature.

As I can only produce one Excel file, is it possible to have reports on one sheet, separated by a few lines? I am certain this can't be done, but I might as well ask!

I have been using WebFocus for quite a few years now and this is the first time a requirement like this has popped up, so sorry if these sound like very beginner questions!

WebFocus 765. iSeries v5r4

Posts: 175 | Location: England | Registered: April 11, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In your release, it is called the PDF Layout Painter.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
But it works for more than PDF output - which is probably why it's been renamed.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark66:
... is it possible to have reports on one sheet, separated by a few lines?

Search the tech support library for "Excel compound reports". NOBREAK allows several reports to occupy a single tab.

Use a page footing of several blank lines to generate the separator lines.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

We have architected our WebFocus environment so that we can do this all the time without having to do compound reports. In very basic terms, we have established a virtual directory on our WebFocus server. When we run our focexec, the program invokes a common routine which dynamically builds a unique file name and url link (all using dialog manager variables). The code then copies the output files to this directory with the unique name and then presents a single report to the customer which displays the hyperlinks to these files. It works great and allows us a tremendous amount flexibility as we aren't really restricted to the types and quantity of output files that we provide the customers. If you would like me to post an example, let me know and I will go into a little bit more detail.

WebFocus 7.6.6, Win2k, Excel, PDF, Flat files, XML, HTML, Flex 1.0.1

Posts: 7 | Location: Bloomfield, CT | Registered: October 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That isn't really multiple Excel reports in a single file, but it sure is a creative way around the problem! The basic methodology you employ (saving the files off to a staging area) can solve other issues as well (such as FTP and/or email capability without having to use ReportCaster).

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991