Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Susannah...where did you go?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Susannah...where did you go?
 Login/Join

<Prarie>
posted
I am using Developer Studio 5.2.3. We do not have a Maintain License. I have a form that I have created within a Focexec and I am Scheduling it thru Report Caster to send to Managers in an E-mail. I want them to be able to check a box on the form Yes or No and e-mail it back. Has anyone done something like this in Resource Layout or Any other method?
Thanks for any help.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
you can write a fex that does nothing but create html output, and Caster that fex.
But i'm not sure what you expect to happen when the email is returned. You can launch a fex from that email, and pass it values that the user has selected, just as tho it were a launch page...which is in fact what you're building and sending.
(FYI There is a TWO-WAY EMAIL product available in Webfocus...you might inquire about that.)
But just to answer your first question, your fex can be as simple as this: (i use left brackets for left carets here, because the board doesn't take left carets, ok)
-* comment line this is my fex
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
[ HTML>
[ head>
...whatever you need
[ /head>
[ body>
[ form ...build your form here
... your form action can be a call to the webfocus cgi to pass values ,just as if it were a launch page on your site
[ /form]
[ /body]
[ /html]
-HTMLFORM END

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Prarie>
posted
Susannah,

Thanks so much for your reply...and that works very well. You asked what I was hoping for from the return e-mail. I basically have a form that ends like the following:

" I certify that the above is correct and complete:"
" "
" "

"Signed:_____________________ Date:_________"

I want them to be able to reply to the e-mail and type their name and the date - in the blanks. This will certify that they have approved the contents of the form. Is this possible in this type of format?

Thanks.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
sure.
In your html code
put your html output table from your fex right before the form tags, perhaps.
[ body>
<!-- WEBFOCUS TABLE MYTABLE -->
[ form ...build your form here
... your form action can be a call to the webfocus cgi to pass values ,just as if it were a launch page on your site
[ /form]
[ /body]

sounds like a plan to me.
let us know how it goes.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Prarie>
posted
I'm sorry...don't mean to difficult...but I don't quite get what you mean...can you give me a little more specific code...

Thanks...and I really appreciate the help.

Report This Post
<Prarie>
posted
Hello?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
hmm. it probably wont work. i don't think outlook can process a form. Its not a browser.

<Prarie>
posted
Any other ideas? Or do I need to push for a Maintain license?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yeah. how about your email is just a link, a focus drilldown, as it were. And that link launches your fex.
then when you click it, you are out of outlook and into browser, just as tho you were running any drilldown on your site.
THEN a form will work just fine. Ah..there's always a way.

no, they wouldnt have to save it and email it back.
just click on the link that is provided in the email, and the link runs a fex,
that fex produces the report which is an html form. filling in the blanks and clicking SUBMIT will process the form.

<Prarie>
posted
Well I thought of that...but they would have to save it and E-mail it back. This is men on the run that want to look at something hit reply to the E-mail and be done. I'm still trying different things. When I use HTML to have a form like thing...when you hit reply it all scrunches up...again cause it is not a browser....might have to go just for a text e-mail and they have no entry places. Yes there is always a way.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Ok Guys lets get really creative here Cool . Just have Report Caster eMail the HTML in the body. Then when the user fills in the form and clicks on the submit button (who�s action points back to the WebFOCUS Servlet/CGI). When he clicks on the submit button it calls WebFOCUS passing back the necessary parameters to uniquely identify the response and who it is sending the response. When WebFOCUS get the response using dialog manager (-WRITE) it appends the response to a FLAT (FIXED) format file, and sends a thank you back to the users screen. Then using WebFOCUS and/or ReportCaster you can read the response and react accordingly.

Expert
posted Hide Post
no Tex, Outlook is not a browser. So Outlook cannot process a FORM or a submit button.
Outlook can only process a link.
So the link produces the form. and throws the user out of outlook and into IE. Which CAN process a form.

<Prarie>
posted
Well I thought I was clever and I made an HTML form and sent it as an Inline E-mail thru Caster.
But when you reply to the E-mail, 2 boxes appear in the middle of the E-mail with the Name of the Fex and my Library on Webfocus. When the E-mail is then sent, the boxes go away. I'm going to be sending this to several mangers and executives, so I don't want strange things showing up in the middle of the Page. Do you think this is a Outlook thing also?

Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Could you please post the fex that creates the HTML form, or the HTML page that creates the HTML form?

Report This Post
<Prarie>
posted
This is a lot.

[HTML>
[HEAD>
[TITLE>HtmlPage
[/TITLE>

[META content="WebFocus Report Layout Painter" name ="Generator">
[/HEAD>

[BODY>
!IBI.FIL.TR;
[SCRIPT type=text/javascript>
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls";
var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls);

[/SCRIPT>

[FORM>

[INPUT type=hidden value=trt3 name ="IBIF_ex">
[INPUT type=hidden value=c2_lmm name ="IBIAPP_app">
[SPAN id=ITEM9 style="Z-INDEX: 4; LEFT: 450px; WIDTH: 20px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 50px; HEIGHT: 20px" name ="text10" elementname="text10" elementtype="text" scaletofit="0">
[/SPAN>
[SPAN id=ITEM40 style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; Z-INDEX: 11; LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 430px; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 470px; HEIGHT: 30px; TEXT-DECORATION: none" name ="text41" elementname="text41" elementtype="text" scaletofit="0">
[SPAN FragmentColor="0" FragmentSource targettype="0" FragmentStartChar="0" FragmentEndChar="69" FragmentSourceType="typeUrl">Was this employee Transferred to another craft due to this incident?
[/SPAN>
[/SPAN>
[SPAN id=ITEM41 style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; Z-INDEX: 12; LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 400px; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 510px; HEIGHT: 30px; TEXT-DECORATION: none" name ="text42" elementname="text42" elementtype="text" scaletofit="0">
[SPAN FragmentColor="0" FragmentSource targettype="0" FragmentStartChar="0" FragmentEndChar="60" FragmentSourceType="typeUrl">Was this employee Terminated from BNSF due to this incident?
[/SPAN>
[/SPAN>
[SPAN id=ITEM85 style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; Z-INDEX: 32; LEFT: 440px; WIDTH: 8px; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 460px; HEIGHT: 8px; TEXT-DECORATION: none" name ="checkbox86" elementname="checkbox86" elementtype="checkbox" scaletofit="0" labelid caption="Yes" columns="1" rows="-1">

[TABLE style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

[TR height=8>

[TD valign="middle">
[LABEL for="ITEM85_0" style ="cursor:default;">
[input id=ITEM85_0 name="ITEM85" value="Yes" type="checkbox">Yes
[/input >
[/LABEL>
[/TD>
[/TR>
[/TABLE>
[/SPAN>
[SPAN id=ITEM86 style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; Z-INDEX: 33; LEFT: 480px; WIDTH: 8px; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 460px; HEIGHT: 8px; TEXT-DECORATION: none" name ="checkbox87" elementname="checkbox87" elementtype="checkbox" scaletofit="0" labelid caption="No" columns="1" rows="-1">

[TABLE style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

[TR height=8>

[TD valign="middle">
[LABEL for="ITEM86_0" style ="cursor:default;">
[input id=ITEM86_0 name="ITEM86" value="No" type="checkbox">No
[/input >
[/LABEL>
[/TD>
[/TR>
[/TABLE>
[/SPAN>
[SPAN id=ITEM89 style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; Z-INDEX: 34; LEFT: 440px; WIDTH: 8px; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 500px; HEIGHT: 8px; TEXT-DECORATION: none" name ="checkbox90" elementname="checkbox90" elementtype="checkbox" scaletofit="0" labelid caption="Yes" columns="1" rows="-1">

[TR height=8>

[TD valign="middle">
[LABEL for="ITEM89_0" style ="cursor:default;">
[input id=ITEM89_0 name="ITEM89" value="Yes" type="checkbox">Yes
[/input >
[/LABEL>
[/TD>
[/TR>
[/TABLE>
[/SPAN>
[SPAN id=ITEM90 style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; Z-INDEX: 35; LEFT: 480px; WIDTH: 8px; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 500px; HEIGHT: 8px; TEXT-DECORATION: none" name ="checkbox91" elementname="checkbox91" elementtype="checkbox" scaletofit="0" labelid caption="No" columns="1" rows="-1">

[TR height=8>

[TD valign="middle">
[LABEL for="ITEM90_0" style ="cursor:default;">
[input id=ITEM90_0 name="ITEM90" value="No" type="checkbox">No
[/input >
[/LABEL>
[/TD>
[/TR>
[/TABLE>
[/SPAN>
[/FORM>
[!--endibiitems-->

[!--startibilines-->
UpdateData();

[!--endibilines-->
}

[/SCRIPT>

[/BODY>
[/HTML>

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
susannah

It worked for me. I created a simple html page with 2 input (text) boxes. the form action called http://localhost/ibi_apps/WFServlet. method = GEt and when caster emailed it to me I filled in the boxes. I clicked submit. I could see the complete URL with the value for FILENAME=FILE LOCATION=LOC and B1= Submit.

Expert
posted Hide Post
i'm sorry, prairie, but your code is beyond me.
I hope Pietro can help.