Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [solved] Continuing Concatenation fields to next line

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[solved] Continuing Concatenation fields to next line
 Login/Join

posted
I work on Mainframes focus language.

In Define statement, i am concatinating certain fields as below

O KEY1/A17 = OI.CD|SA.CD|BIT.CD|ISSUE.ST.CD|FNO|STD.PRV.IND|KEY.ACCT.IND  

I need to add few more fields but there is no space left on this line, so i need to use next line. How can i continue adding concatenating variables in next line. Is there any continuation symbol for these cases?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rajiv Garg,

FOCUS version 7.6.7.
Windows
Excel

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

Try
KEY1/A17 = OI.CD|SA.CD|BIT.CD|ISSUE.ST.CD|FNO|STD.PRV.IND|KEY.ACCT.IND;
KEY1 = KEY1 | OI.PPPP | OI.QQQQ;
Remember there is a limit based upon the defined size of your variable.

WebFOCUS 7.7.01 Windows, TSO 7.0

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Stefaans - Won't work...

An expression ends with a ';' or an END in a DEFINE

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Not sure if this works in Mainframe FOCUS, but you can define fields using multiline as follows in WebFOCUS

DEFINE FILE EMPDATA
KEY1/A60=''|PIN
	|DIV
	|DEPT
	|TITLE
;
END

See if that helps.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Pang

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV

Posts: 117 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 29, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
You have to have a size for the defined field that is big enough to hold all the concatenated fields. In Stefanns example the second KEY1 does not have a size.

WF 8.2.01M
8.2.01M Reporting Server
Windows 2012 Srvr R2
PDF,Excel, HTML
Graphs - a lot of graphs

Posts: 60 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B:
Stefaans - Won't work...

An expression ends with a ';' or an END in a DEFINE

Alan, one assumes that the gentleman knows that you have to have the DEFINE FILE XXXX
my code in between and then the END statement. Unless I have made a typo that I do not know about, the code should work.
s

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrguru:
You have to have a size for the defined field that is big enough to hold all the concatenated fields. In Stefanns example the second KEY1 does not have a size.

Hi
I would remind you that by adding a size to the second KEY will re-define the field. THIS IS A NO NO.
All that you are doing is concatenating onto the original field. Trust me it works,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sheeeeesh!

This is an easy one.

It is a DEFINE statement, hence FOCUS code, not Dialogue Manager code, hence no continuation character.

DEFINE FILE XXXX
NEW_FIELD/A2000 = 
FIELD1A |
FIELD2A |
FIELD1B |
FIELD2B |
FIELD1C |
FIELD2C |
FIELD1D |
FIELD2D |
FIELD1E |
FIELD2E |
FIELD1F |
FIELD2F |
FIELD1G |
FIELD2G |
FIELD1H |
FIELD2H |
FIELD1I |
FIELD2I |
FIELD1J |
FIELD2J |
FIELD1K |
FIELD2K |
FIELD1L |
FIELD2L |
FIELD1M |
FIELD2M |
FIELD1N |
FIELD2N |
FIELD1O |
FIELD2O |
FIELD1P |
FIELD2P |
FIELD1Q |
FIELD2Q |
FIELD1R |
FIELD2R |
FIELD1S |
FIELD2S |
FIELD1T |
FIELD2T |
FIELD1U |
FIELD2U |
FIELD1V |
FIELD2V |
FIELDZZ;
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Stefaans,

I guess what mrguru is implying is that the second KEY1 without a format will be trying to fit KEY1(A17) + OI.PPPP(A?) + OI.QQQQ(A?) into a format of A17. Even if the two additional fields were A1 then the total size being fitted into the second KEY1 would be A19 and an error should be encountered.

Jimmy's should work OK across several lines on mainframe.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Francis, you are totally correct on this one, but I think that Rajiv's question was related to the fact that he is dealing with a FOCEXEC that is either on and MVS or VM box where FOCEXEC's can only have a logical record length of 80 chars. If I understand him correctly he wanted to know how he could do this with via a continuation method. Just my thoughts. Perhaps I am wrong. Regards Steve Simon

Master
posted Hide Post
Well, Francis' solution works...

What also works.. ( less lines, and still readable Wink )
KEY_PART1/A100 = AA | BB | CC | DD | EE | FF;
KEY_PART2/A100 = GG | HH | II | JJ | KK | LL;
KEY_PART3/A100 = MM | NN | OO | PP | QQ | RR;
KEY/A300 = KEYPART1 | KEYPART2 | KEYPART3;

G'luck

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Stefaans, I understood what Rajiv's question was related to. You don't need a continuation character and you never have a problem with FOCUS or WebFOCUS code where there is a limitation of 80 character lines. The only time there might be a problem is when a field name is longer than 80 characters, even then, you can just type 80 characters and FOCUS will figure out the complete field name, unless there are two or more field names where the first 80 characters are the same!

This is a complete non-issue.

Regards.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Such a simple question, and such a very long answer.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank eveyone for the suggesstions. Its the most active forum.

For me, Francis solution works.

FOCUS version 7.6.7.
Windows
Excel