Focal Point
[SOLVED]Help with Setup of Informix Adapter

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/97110423

March 06, 2009, 12:45 PM
Jeff_Rowland
[SOLVED]Help with Setup of Informix Adapter
Hi,
Have WebFocus 7.64 installed on a Desktop running XP. Trying to setup/configure adapter to connect to a Informix database located on a HP server running HPUX (Unix). I've gone to the Web Console and Clicked on Configure Data Adapter. I then selected the Informix adapter filled in the Connect Parameters and then click on the "Configure " button and got the message "Connection hpprod successfully changed " When I then click on the "TEST" button I get the following error:

FOC1394) CONNECT FAILURE
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -25560 (HEX: FFFF9C28)
: Environment variable INFORMIXSERVER must be set.
(FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.

NOTE: I have INFORMIXSERVER variable set in my .profile on the Unix server and also went to the Control Panel -> System->Advanced-Environment Variables and added a entry for INFORMIXSERVER but still get the above error.

Any thoughts on what to check next?
Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff_Rowland,

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 06, 2009, 02:23 PM
GinnyJakes
Have you verified that the Informix client is properly installed and that you can get to Informix outside of WebFOCUS?

Also, you might need to set the variable in the profile of the user who starts the reporting server or in the edastart script.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
March 06, 2009, 02:37 PM
Jeff_Rowland
I did go into Excel and was sucessfull in setting up a connection to the Informix database I want to work with and verified was able to extract records from the Informix database.

Where would I update the edastart script?

Thanks for the info!

Jeff

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 06, 2009, 02:52 PM
GinnyJakes
The edastart script is in the wfs/bin directory. Make a note of your customization.

We do our data base environment variables in the .profile of the server admin id.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
March 09, 2009, 05:03 AM
GamP
Note, that after adding whatever variable to the windows System Environment, you need to reboot the machine for the change to take effect. So only after rebooting the eda-server will recognize the INFORMIXSERVER variable. I always prefer this method above changing the edastart script, because it does not need attention whenever you upgrade the server.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
March 09, 2009, 02:03 PM
Jeff_Rowland
Have tried everything I can think of but when when every I click TEST on the
Configuring data Adapters page of Web Console, I still get the error:

FOC1394) CONNECT FAILURE
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -25560 (HEX: FFFF9C28)
: Environment variable INFORMIXSERVER must be set.

I've made sure INFORMIXSERVER variable is set in the file: edaserve.cfg and
also have made sure this variable is set in my .profile on the Unix Server.

As noted below, I can access and retrive records from the Informix database from Excel so know I have the ODBC connection working.

Any additional step you can suggest to look at in getting the adapter to work.

Thanks

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 11, 2009, 02:15 PM
Jeff_Rowland
I decided to remove then reinstall the WebFocus adapter for Informix and now getting a different error than I received previously when I click on the "TEST" button in Web Console/Configuring Data Adapters

(FOC1394) CONNECT FAILURE
(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -956 (HEX: FFFFFC44)
: Client host or user (jeffrow@d123456g.ftc.xxx.xxx.gov) is not trusted by the server.

Any thoughts on what I should look at to fix this error?

Thanks

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 11, 2009, 05:12 PM
GinnyJakes
Is your reporting server on Unix?

What does your connect string look like in the edasprof.prf of the reporting server?

Can you log onto the Unix box if that is where your RS is and connect to Informix natively with the id you specified?

I am confused about your architecture. Can you clarify?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GinnyJakes,

Ginny
March 12, 2009, 08:01 AM
Jeff_Rowland
Sorry for the confusion.

I have WebFocus 7.6.4 installed on PC running XP. I want to connect to a Informix database located on a HP server running HPUX 11 so I can create some reports using data from the Informix database tables

Jeff

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 12, 2009, 08:03 AM
Jeff_Rowland
Also I am able to log onto the HP server running Informix with no problems and work with the database records.

I am also able to connect to the Informix Database from within Excel to extract records without any problems

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 12, 2009, 09:30 AM
GamP
To be able to use excel to retrieve the records, you had to define an odbc link to your informix database.
When you try to configure the eda server, you try to do this using the informix adapter.
Those are two different things.
What would happen if you chose to do the connection using the same odbc connector you use for excel?

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
March 12, 2009, 09:34 AM
GinnyJakes
When you set up your connection on your Windows reporting server, you get to pick what kind of connection it is. You get to pick Explicit, Password Passthru, or Trusted which is the default. Your error message is telling you that the platform is not accepting a trusted connection. You should try changing the connection to explicit and provide a generic read id and password for the connection and see if that works better for you.

Ginny
March 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
Jeff_Rowland
GinnyJakes,
Looked like your suggestion WORKS! I set the connection to Explicit and specified my login/password and returned data from the Informix database.

But as soon as I got this fixed I was going to WebFocus to be able to query and run the reports and ran into a error that Apache TomCat will not start. I tracked down a error message at it says:

Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Any thoughts On what I might have done to cause this. I am going to post as seperate topic.

Jeff Again- Thanks for helping with the adapter problem!!

7.7.02 Windows7
HTML/Excel/PDF
March 12, 2009, 06:33 PM
GinnyJakes
Glad to hear it. Please mark this post as [SOLVED].

FYI, it was your error message that gave it away so thanks for posting it. We always use explicit authentication so it didn't hit me right away.

Ginny