Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] PDF Report, TabHeading, Text, Wrap, Won't do it.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] PDF Report, TabHeading, Text, Wrap, Won't do it.
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have the following in my stylesheet for a pdf report:

TYPE=TABHEADING,
LINE=17,
OBJECT=TEXT,
SIZE=14,
WRAP=2.875000,
$

Everything I've read here and in the help files indicates that the above code with a -SET WRAP=ON should do the trick, but it refuses to do what I'm telling it to. Is there some secret sauce I'm missing for this? I've played around quite a bit and I just don't seem to get any change to the output -- my text just runs off the end of the page.

Note that I'm using the size=14 to make sure I'm working on the correct line. That command is working correctly.

7.6.11 on NT.

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Put your text into a field, and wrap that, it should work.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That may be out of reach because I'm offering the user about two dozen sentences to be included in a letter, and they can choose any or all of them. With an amper variable I can use FOC_NONE to keep the letter from having a bunch of blank lines. If I put the material into a field I get a bunch of blank lines that make the letter too long.

S.

Expert
posted Hide Post
How large are your sentences ?

DEFINE FILE CAR
 LONG_LINE1/A1000 = 'EDA, EDA/SQL, FIDEL, FOCCALC, FOCUS, FOCUS Fusion, FOCUS Vision, Hospital-Trac, Information Builders, the '
                  | 'Information Builders logo, Parlay, PC/FOCUS, SmartMart, SmartMode, SNAPpack, TableTalk, WALDO, Web390, '
                  | 'WebFOCUS and WorldMART are registered trademarks, and iWay and iWay Software are trademarks of Information '
                  | 'Builders, Inc.' ;
 LONG_LINE2/A1000 = 'Due to the nature of this material, this document refers to numerous hardware and software products by their '
                  | 'trademarks. In most, if not all cases, these designations are claimed as trademarks or registered trademarks by '
                  | 'their respective companies. It is not this publisher’s intent to use any of these names generically. The reader is '
                  | 'therefore cautioned to investigate all claimed trademark rights before using any of these names other than to refer '
                  | 'to the product described.' ;
 LONG_LINE3/A1000 = 'Copyright © 2006, by Information Builders, Inc and iWay Software. All rights reserved. Patent Pending. This manual, '
                  | 'or parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any form without the written permission of Information Builders, Inc. ; ' ;
 LONG_LINE4/A1000 = 'Do you have questions about WebFOCUS?' ;
 LONG_LINE5/A1000 = 'Call Information Builders Customer Support Service (CSS) at (800) 736-6130 or '
                  | '(212) 736-6130. Customer Support Consultants are available Monday through Friday '
                  | 'between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST to address all your WebFOCUS questions. '
                  | 'Information Builders consultants can also give you general guidance regarding product '
                  | 'capabilities and documentation. Please be ready to provide your six-digit site code (xxxx.xx) '
                  | 'when you call.' ;
 LONG_LINE6/A1000 = 'You can also access support services electronically, 24 hours a day, with InfoResponse '
                  | 'Online. InfoResponse Online is accessible through our World Wide Web site, '
                  | 'http://www.informationbuilders.com. It connects you to the tracking system and '
                  | 'known-problem database at the Information Builders support center. Registered users can '
                  | 'open, update, and view the status of cases in the tracking system and read descriptions '
                  | 'of reported software issues. New users can register immediately for this service. The '
                  | 'technical support section of www.informationbuilders.com also provides usage '
                  | 'techniques, diagnostic tips, and answers to frequently asked questions. '
                  | 'To learn about the full range of available support services, ask your Information Builders '
                  | 'representative about InfoResponse Online, or call (800) 969-INFO. ' ;

END
TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"<LONG_LINE1"
"<LONG_LINE2"
"<LONG_LINE3"
" "
"<LONG_LINE4"
"<LONG_LINE5"
"<LONG_LINE6"
 SUM COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=CM, PAGESIZE='A4', LEFTMARGIN=0.635000, RIGHTMARGIN=0.635000,
    TOPMARGIN=0.635000, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.635000, SQUEEZE=ON,
    ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF, FONT=TIMES NEW ROMAN, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=1, OBJECT=FIELD, WRAP=28, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Depending on your version of WebFOCUS, you could even use MARKUP=ON

DEFINE FILE CAR
XX/A1000 = '<full><b>' | COUNTRY | 'Fully Justified Heading:</b> Customer'
| ' Service Is Everything. At Information Builders, we are as open and flexible as'
| ' our software, and our customers are our greatest asset. For every new product'
| ' and feature, there''s a customer who drove it. For every customer there''s an'
| ' answer. Our customer-centric philosophy is backed up by an integrated support'
| ' network of people passionately dedicated to the success of your business'
| ' initiatives. Consulting, Education, Technical Support, Product Development the'
| ' support network is the sum of these groups, and it stands ready to help you.'
| ' Information Builders has also created a community Web site for our developers.'
| ' At Focal Point, you can visit our message boards and browse through numerous'
| ' helpful resources.</full>';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
"<XX"
ON TABLE SET NEWLAYOUT ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
type=report, font=courier, size=10, $
type=datamatrix, position=(0 0), dimension=(5 3), $
type=heading, position=(1 2), dimension=(7 1.8), markup=on, wrap=on, $
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waz,

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Neither one of these appear to address one of my issues -- I need empty strings to disappear from the report. In order for that to happen I need to wrap text. I have 100 potential lines from which the end user will select one to four for inclusion in the letter, and I need the rest to disappear. I can do this with FOC_NONE if it's text, but not if it's fields.

Is it possible to wrap text in a TABHEADING?

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Just combine (catenate) the selected boilerplate elements into a single alpha variable, and imbed that one (like Waz's XX) in the report heading.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's a bullet list, so that's going to be painful as well. If I could embed a CR/LF in the string it wouldn't be so bad -- anyone know how to do that?

Wrapping text should have been a feature in 4.3.5. This is really a stupid oversight.

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Use dalog manager switches to turn the heading lines on and off.

Building on Waz's sample code, this turns them on/off randomly, to simulate variable user selections.

APP PREPENDPATH IBISAMP

DEFINE FILE CAR
 LONG_LINE1/A1000 = '[1] EDA, EDA/SQL, FIDEL, FOCCALC, FOCUS, FOCUS Fusion, FOCUS Vision, Hospital-Trac, Information Builders, the '
                  | 'Information Builders logo, Parlay, PC/FOCUS, SmartMart, SmartMode, SNAPpack, TableTalk, WALDO, Web390, '
                  | 'WebFOCUS and WorldMART are registered trademarks, and iWay and iWay Software are trademarks of Information '
                  | 'Builders, Inc.' ;
 LONG_LINE2/A1000 = '[2] Due to the nature of this material, this document refers to numerous hardware and software products by their '
                  | 'trademarks. In most, if not all cases, these designations are claimed as trademarks or registered trademarks by '
                  | 'their respective companies. It is not this publisher’s intent to use any of these names generically. The reader is '
                  | 'therefore cautioned to investigate all claimed trademark rights before using any of these names other than to refer '
                  | 'to the product described.' ;
 LONG_LINE3/A1000 = '[3] Copyright © 2006, by Information Builders, Inc and iWay Software. All rights reserved. Patent Pending. This manual, '
                  | 'or parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any form without the written permission of Information Builders, Inc. ; ' ;
 LONG_LINE4/A1000 = '[4] Do you have questions about WebFOCUS?' ;
 LONG_LINE5/A1000 = '[5] Call Information Builders Customer Support Service (CSS) at (800) 736-6130 or '
                  | '(212) 736-6130. Customer Support Consultants are available Monday through Friday '
                  | 'between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST to address all your WebFOCUS questions. '
                  | 'Information Builders consultants can also give you general guidance regarding product '
                  | 'capabilities and documentation. Please be ready to provide your six-digit site code (xxxx.xx) '
                  | 'when you call.' ;
 LONG_LINE6/A1000 = '[6] You can also access support services electronically, 24 hours a day, with InfoResponse '
                  | 'Online. InfoResponse Online is accessible through our World Wide Web site, '
                  | 'http://www.informationbuilders.com. It connects you to the tracking system and '
                  | 'known-problem database at the Information Builders support center. Registered users can '
                  | 'open, update, and view the status of cases in the tracking system and read descriptions '
                  | 'of reported software issues. New users can register immediately for this service. The '
                  | 'technical support section of www.informationbuilders.com also provides usage '
                  | 'techniques, diagnostic tips, and answers to frequently asked questions. '
                  | 'To learn about the full range of available support services, ask your Information Builders '
                  | 'representative about InfoResponse Online, or call (800) 969-INFO. ' ;

END
-REPEAT NX.J FOR &J FROM 1 TO 6 ;
-SET &R.&J=INT(RDUNIF('D2')+.5);
-SET &Z.&J=IF (&R.&J) THEN ' ' ELSE '-*';
-NX.J

TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
&Z1.EVAL "<LONG_LINE1"
&Z2.EVAL "<LONG_LINE2"
&Z3.EVAL "<LONG_LINE3"
&Z4.EVAL "<LONG_LINE4"
&Z5.EVAL "<LONG_LINE5"
&Z6.EVAL "<LONG_LINE6"
FOOTING
"SELECTED: 1(&R1), 2(&R2), 3(&R3), 4(&R4), 5(&R5), 6(&R6)"
 SUM COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=CM, PAGESIZE='A4', LEFTMARGIN=0.635000, RIGHTMARGIN=0.635000,
    TOPMARGIN=0.635000, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.635000, SQUEEZE=ON,
    ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=OFF, FONT=TIMES NEW ROMAN, $
TYPE=HEADING, ITEM=1, OBJECT=FIELD, WRAP=28, $
ENDSTYLE
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
HO! THAT is the secret to this.

Incoming text arrives in an amper variable. Default it to FOC_NONE just in case --

-DEFAULT &REASON_1 = 'FOC_NONE';

Create a kill switch for lines that aren't filled out --

-SET &KILL_LINE_1 = IF &REASON_1 EQ 'FOC_NONE' THEN 'FOC_NONE' ELSE ''; 

Create a field for the table you're reporting on --

REASON_1/A1000 = '&REASON_1'; 

Then include both the kill switch and the defined field in the HEADING/SUBHEAD/SUBFOOT/FOOTING --

TABLE FILE HOLD3
PRINT OUTPUT_FIELDS
ON TABLE SUBHEAD
"&KILL_LINE_1  <REASON_1"
TYPE=TABHEADING,
     LINE=1,
     OBJECT=FIELD,
     ITEM=1,
     WRAP=6.8,
$
END

I was in the process of adjusting the lines in JavaScript which had ugly-as-**** written all over it. This is something that can be modified quickly and easily and the user interface code doesn't get crushed.

Thanks bud!

J.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Close your [ code ].

TABLE FILE HOLD3
PRINT OUTPUT_FIELDS
ON TABLE SUBHEAD
"* &KILL_LINE_1 <REASON_1"
"* &KILL_LINE_2 <REASON_2"
"* &KILL_LINE_3 <REASON_3"
END

Right -- GUI will tolerate &vars within the " ".

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a bullet list

I read that line very differntly. Eeker

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Guru
posted Hide Post
Also I've noticed that with PDF, having SET PRINTPLUS = ON helps.

Just sayin'

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post