Focal Point Banner
Community Center Education Summit Technical Support User Groups
Let's Get Social!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube
Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Defined fields in Synonyms
Go
New
Search
Notify
Tools

[SOLVED] Defined fields in Synonyms
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello Folks,

I have to implement a few changes and I am considering making the changes to a synonym.

To be a little more specific, I need to add a column that creates a grouping. If the time (gotten from another field) is from midnight to 6am, then it gets the value 'Night'; 6am to noon gets 'Morning' etc.

The best way (imo) is to put this calculation in the ETL and spit out a new field to the data warehouse, but that's something I will not be able to do right now. And I would rather not put it into fex files because its something I have to do often, but not in every fex either.

So here is my question... if I create a defined field in a synonym, will the calculation for this field still be done if that defined field is not being used in that fex? I would hope not so that the query runs faster.

Thank you Folks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML

Posts: 131 | Registered: May 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I do believe that a DEFINE'd field is only evaluated if it is referenced withing the DEFINE FILE..., TABLE FILE... requested. So, it should not be a hindrance to, negatively affect, your query / processing...

Posts: 2967 | Location: Middle Tennessee [8204M Gen48 in Test&Prod] | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ditto with Doug

WF versions : Prod 8.2.0.1M gen 240, Dev 8.2.04 gen 48, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2071 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Doug is correct.

This is a great strategy by the way. I have a bunch of categories defined in master files, ones where my client seems to want to move things around a bit. Having the define in a single centralized location makes adjustments easy.

But -- you can't put an index on a field that doesn't exist, so there are limitations.

Posts: 913 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post