Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Convert "MODIFY FILE" Utility

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Convert "MODIFY FILE" Utility
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a tool that will convert a mainframe "MODIFY FILE" procedure into a program within Developer Studio?

Expert
posted Hide Post
No, there isn't.

If MODIFY is used without CRTFORM to update data, it should work without any changes. If you're using CRTFORM, you will have to rewrite the program. I'm sure you'll be told to use MAINTAIN, but I have used HTML screens, JavaScript and MODIFY successfully together.

MODIFY does not appear to be documented very well (in the documentation, it seems to show up only in sample code), even though we all use it.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
F, there is actually a modify manual, i have a copy of it, its old, but i bought it from the ibi website...and not too terribly long ago..within living memory at least...so gkata, i would recommend that you do a search for it. Its worth it. I use MODIFY all the time, but the problem i have found with it is the amount of data you're able to pass from an html screen... not huge...and that may be an IE issue, probably is, that 2k limit thing. So if you need to pass a lot of data per transaction, you would need MAINTAIN. but you're certainly encouraged to tackle translating your CRTFORMS into HTML forms. Its a very reasonable thing to do.

The modify manuals i have are:
A Guide to FOCUS Database Design by Valerie J. King, (c 1987)and A Guide to FOCUS MODIFY Internals (c 1991), also by King.
the company is Logical Data Solutions, formerly of Bethesda MD
The 1987 one is printed in fixed font which is sooo refreshing to read!!
I seem to remember that the Kings had moved to Florida, and I seem to recall buying them from her in FL. I'll see what i can find out, and repost if i can locate them and they have any books remaining. Maybe Georgina at IBI would know if IBI has any of the books. Kerry, if you have your ears on, would you ask Georgina?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
S, thanks, I'll look for the MODIFY manual. Yes, the 2k limit is most likely the browser limitation with Form Action GET, have you tried POST, isn't that supposed to get you past the limit?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
no kidding? i didn't know that...i'll give it a try next time i have an app for that.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
S, here's some info:

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...741040841#2741040841

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...471063312#4471063312

According to Microsoft,
quote:
When using the post method, there is no theoretical limit to the amount of data that can be sent to the HTTP server. The amount of data may be constrained by the physical limits of the client computer.

When using the get method to send data to an HTTP server, the amount of data that can be sent is limited by the maximum length of a URL. In this case the URL cannot be longer than 2048 bytes.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yup,

POST allows much more data through, it also does not show up the data in the address bar.

The GET (equivalent(ish) to using a URL) is limited by browser AND by IIS. For IE the GET limit is something like 1874 bytes!

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post