Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Error message
 Login/Join

<Lee Roper>
posted
I am trying to access a text file and I am getting the following error message:

An error has been detected during server to client data transfer.
ERROR: -12: Pcb2.: java.io.EOFException

The text file has over 20,000 records. When I use a smaller version of the file (approximately 100 records) it works perfectly. My understanding was that WebFocus could handle millions of records, and I have opened files as large as this one with a different master file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Are you possibly timing out?
We set our time out to 10 minutes (default was 5 minutes with install)

Just a thought!

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
<Lee Roper>
posted
It doesn't seem to be timing out. The message comes back very quickly--within seconds.

Report This Post
<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Could it be a data value in the larger text file?

Have you tried a RECORDLIMIT, starting with a low number and then increasing it until the problem occurs?

Report This Post
<Kalyan>
posted
Welcome to the club !!!
I had a similar problem for the last 2 months and just last week got it resolved. Please visit my posts on this topic for more details on the nature of the problem

How it was resolved???
this one was suggested by WebFOCUS support
It involves setting the agent_refresh parameter on the
server to 1 in your EDASERVE.CFG file. This causes the agent to refresh and
the edatemp directory to be cleared after each connection. It is possible
that this directory is currently filling up until the current agent connection
number is being hit the default is 100, and if this number is currently set
to a high value, it may not be hitting this limit but just filling up the
directory.

To do this, edit the EDASERVE.CFG file on your server and set the value to
the following
or add the line if it is not currently there:

agent_refresh = 1 <-----Note: this entry is in lower case.

Then, refresh your server to pick up this change.

check your code if you have something like this
-IF &REF EQ �CT� THEN GOTO CTO;
-ELSE IF &REF EQ �WDTP� THEN GOTO WDTPO;

-CTO

Some code

-GOTO ENDCODE;

-WDTPO

SOME CODE

-GOTO ENDCODE;

-ENDCODE

When I changed the code to this the EOF Exception disappeared I did not know at this point that there were changes being done to the reporting server configuration

-IF &REF NE �CT� THEN GOTO CTO;

Some code

-CTO

- IF &REF NE �WDTP� THEN GOTO WDTPO;

SOME CODE

-WDTPO

the third place where this could be replicated
if you are using the same label name in 2 places
eg:

Some code
-CTO
SOME CODE
-WDTPO

some more code

Some other code
-CTO
SOME other CODE
-WDTPO

These were the changes we did.

Hope this helps

kalyan.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Lee,
I just started having the same problem against a file with Text. A couple things that may help....
set the LONGCHAR setting to Alpha and
if you create a hold file with the TEXT field make sure the TEXT field is in the last position.

TABLE FILE FILENAME
PRINT FIELD1 FIELD2 TEXTFIELD
ON TABLE HOLD
END

I'm crashing agents right and left. Kaylan, thanks for your post on adding the agent_refresh to edaserve, this may help?

Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
AHA!
This line of code was crashing agents in WF 5.2.4

SET ONLINE_FMT = STYLED
This is an older command left in a rewrite of code.

Thanks.

Guru
posted Hide Post
I meant to say

SET ONLINE-FMT = STYLED

it's been a long week!

<Lee Roper>
posted
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am having my IS department check on the EDASERVE.CFG file; I don't have access to make any changes to the reporting server.

Some things I have noticed: When I set the retrieval limits to limit the number of records it first would be run with 1212 records, but when I went back in and kept playing with record limit it pulled up to 2100 records. However, it doesn't really pull that many records. The file returned is only about 1000 records even though the source file has approximately 20,000 records. I am not applying any sort of selection criteria since I'm just trying to get it to actually read the records. The master file is a direct copy of an existing master file that my firm has successfully for a couple of years, and the date file was saved from a file created by that earlier master file, so the fields and data types should all be correct.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Lee,
We periodically experience this issue as well. There never seems to be a hard and fast reason. I reboot the server and everything that was broken then works.... I think it has something to do with the agents as well. I've tried setting mine up with other settings and it does seem we have fewer occurences of the problem but it hasn't completely gone away.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 12, 2003Report This Post
<WFdevlpr>
posted
Lee,

I was also getting this error and was also advised by tech support to change the agent session refresh to 1. It worked!

I would really emphasize the need for this change to your WebFOCUS admin or whomever has access to the reporting server.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the difference between:

setting agent session refresh to 1 and
and
crashed_cleanup = on

Thanks!
Carol

Guru
posted Hide Post
agent_refresh = positive integer specifying limit for number of new connections

Internal default: 100

This keyword is part of the general workspace features provided in the scope of an agent service. It defines the maximum number of new connections which can be accepted during the life of each agent process. Beyond this limit additional new connections will be assigned to a fresh agent. Agent processes which have reached the limit will be terminated when the last accepted session disconnects.

crashed_cleanup = on or off

Internal default: off

By default, crashed agents are kept in the agents table for diagnostics purposes, and are only removed when they are explicitly killed. When this setting is on, crashed agents are automatically removed from agents list when the Workspace Manager notices the crash.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
BTW. This info is available from the WebFOCUS Reporting server Web Console. I fyou go to Workspace, Configure, service and then click on one of the "?" it will bring up the page with details about the server settings.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
kp,
Thank you for this information. I'm thinking we might need both settings. It seems if we have too many crashed agents, we see a random EDA/No Data.
I will check the ?

Thanks again,
Carol