Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Problems with Drill Down on a Defined field string

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Problems with Drill Down on a Defined field string
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello:

I have this define field which separates customers into two groups, External and Internal...

quote:

-* DEFINE BEGIN rpt_sect
rpt_sect/A30 = IF (SECTION_CD EQ '1' OR SECTION_CD EQ '2') THEN 'External Customers' ELSE IF SECTION_CD EQ '3' THEN 'Internal Customers';
-* DEFINE END rpt_sect

I'm trying to use this define value to drill down to another report.

quote:

TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=rpt_sect,
FOCEXEC=report2.fex(parmsec=rpt_sect \
parmgrp= '&parmgrp' parmdiv= '&parmdiv'),
$

In report2, I have the same define and a parameter, parmsec:

quote:

sect_opt/A30 = IF (SECTION_CD EQ '1' OR SECTION_CD EQ '2') THEN 'External Customers' ELSE IF SECTION_CD EQ '3' THEN 'Internal Customers';

Here is my Where Statement in report2...

quote:

WHERE (GROUP_NUM EQ '&parmgrp')
AND (DIV_NUM EQ '&parmdiv')
AND (sect_opt EQ '&parmsec');

I can't seem to get this to work. When I click on the drilldown for one of the values in report1, it just keeps looping and asking me for the parameters over and over again. Any ideas? Is this the right or best way to handle this?

Thanks,
Tim J

Expert
posted Hide Post
tj, if i read you correctly, you've got a blank space in the element you're trying to use as a parm. Not a good idea...too much trougle.
In this case, keep your drill down on the field that says 'Internal Customers' but pass thru the variable SECTION_CD which you bring in to your Report1 record as a NOPRINT
BY SECTION_CD NOPRINT BY sect_opt
so your dd says
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=rpt_sect,
FOCEXEC=report2.fex(parmsec=SECTION_CD \
parmgrp= '&parmgrp' parmdiv= '&parmdiv'),
and then repeat your define from rep1 inside of rep2.
ok?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Susannah:

That is the normal route I take with drilldowns, but for this report, I am combining two values for External Customers (SECTION_CD = 1 or 2). If I use SECTION_CD as a NOPRINT it will give me two summary lines for External Customers on the report.
I just want one summary line for External Customers (value of 1 or 2) and one for Internal Customers (value of 3).

My report2 accepts the parameters "External Customers" or "Internal Customers" and displays what I need, I just need to figure out why those values are not making it from the drilldown.

You mentioned a space in my literal. What problems can that cause?

Thanks,
Tim J

Expert
posted Hide Post
The first thing to do is verify if the three parameters are actually being passed:

Add
-? &
-EXIT
at the top of the drilldown program.

Then, if the three parameters are passed successfully, add this before the TABLE FILE:
SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF
-RUN
to disable data extraction and to check the syntax of the code. If the WHERE statment looks alright, try to determine why the program "loops". If you're accessing SQL db tables, you should set the SQL traces on to verify that the SQL generated by the JOIN, DEFINE and TABLE is correct.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
theres a space between External and Customers
Do a view source on your report before you attemp toclick thru on the down,,and look carefully at the full url created by the drilldown.
theres a world of difference between a WHERE statement
WHERE sect_opt EQ 'External Customers'
and the way such a variable with an internal black space would get inserted into a drilldown URL.
run this code:

-SET &DD0='TESTCAR';
-DEFAULT &MYCOUNTRY = 'ALL';
-SET &FILTERCOUNTRY = IF &MYCOUNTRY EQ 'ALL' THEN ' ' ELSE 'IF COUNTRY IS ' | &MYCOUNTRY ;
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY BY CAR
&FILTERCOUNTRY
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA,COLUMN=COUNTRY,FOCEXEC=&DD0(MYCOUNTRY=COUNTRY),$
END
{/code]

It'll work for evertying but W GERMANY.
why?
Because W GERMANY had an embedded blank in it.
Here's what the view source url looks like
[code]&IBIF_ex=TESTCAR&CLICKED_ON=&MYCOUNTRY=W%20GERMANY">W GERMANY</A>

and..
here's the error message you get whenyou run it.

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE     16  IN PROCEDURE testcar FOCEXEC *
 (FOC002) A WORD IS NOT RECOGNIZED: GERMANY
 BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND
 (FOC009) INCOMPLETE REQUEST STATEMENT

After the blank between W and GERMANY, the constructed dd url has no idea what you want it to do.
SO....
you have to do a lot more work preparing your variable to become an acceptable paramter do a drilldown. Contiguous string is the requirement..so inmho its alot easier if you want to link on a nice string, like for me 'BERGDORF GOODMAN' , the value i actually pass is B2793, the code for BERGDORF GOODMAN.
Getting the picture?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post