Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SLOVED] How to calculate the week from one date input?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SLOVED] How to calculate the week from one date input?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have a report which i am trying to calculate the total number events for the current week. The end user wants to be able to just put one input date from the front end and it will calculate the week for that date the end user put in. For example, if the end user put in 03/04/09 i need to calculate all the # of events from 03/01/09 to 03/07/09. The end user wants the dates for the week to be from Sunday to Saturday.

Can someone please help me figure out this calculation?

Also, I need to figure out the previous week as well and the current month and current year.

Please Help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: prodrigu,

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats

Posts: 121 | Location: California | Registered: June 19, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Please do your homework, look into Standard Date Functions, "DATEMOV" in particular: "Moving a Date to a Significant Point".

EOM is the end of month.
BOM is the beginning of month.
EOQ is the end of quarter.
BOQ is the beginning of quarter.
EOY is the end of year.
BOY is the beginning of year.
EOW is the end of week.
BOW is the beginning of week.
NWD is the next weekday.
NBD is the next business day.
PWD is the prior weekday.
PBD is the prior business day.
WD- is a weekday or earlier.
BD- is a business day or earlier.
WD+ is a weekday or later.
BD+ is a business day or later.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You can also use the following in DM.. this will take a param called INPUT_DATE and calculate the previous sun to next sat.

Jodye

-SET &INPUT_DATE='20090317';
-SET &DOW=DOWK(&INPUT_DATE, 'A4');
-SET &LASDIFF = IF &DOW EQ 'SUN' THEN 0
-ELSE IF &DOW EQ 'MON' THEN -1
-ELSE IF &DOW EQ 'TUE' THEN -2
-ELSE IF &DOW EQ 'WED' THEN -3
-ELSE IF &DOW EQ 'THU' THEN -4
-ELSE IF &DOW EQ 'FRI' THEN -5
-ELSE IF &DOW EQ 'SAT' THEN -6;
-SET &LASTSUN = AYMD(&INPUT_DATE, &LASDIFF ,'I8');
-*-GET THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY
-SET &NEXTSAT = AYMD(&LASTSUN, 6 ,'I8');

-TYPE &LASTSUN
-TYPE &NEXTSAT

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it why do in many lines what you can do in two...

-SET &INPUT_DATE='20090317';
-SET &BOW = DATEMOV(&INPUT_DATE, 'BOW');
-SET &EOW = DATEMOV(&INPUT_DATE, 'EOW');
-TYPE &BOW
-TYPE &EOW

although strangely EOW is giving thursday the 19th. hmm...

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jodye,

When using Date Functions in Dialogue Manager I think they first have to be converted to date format using DATECVT. e.g.:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-DEFAULT &INPUT_DATE = '&YYMD.EVAL';

-SET &BOW1 =
-  DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW1 =
-  DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-TYPE &BOW1
-TYPE &EOW1

Though I'm not sure how you get a week's date range Monday to Sunday or Sunday to Saturday without having to add/subtract to/from the BOW and EOW results. Setting BUSDAYS to SMTWTFS doesn't do it.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-DEFAULT &INPUT_DATE = '&YYMD.EVAL';

-SET &BOW1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-SET &BOW = DATECVT( DATEADD(DATECVT(&BOW1,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'D', -1), 'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW = DATECVT( DATEADD(DATECVT(&EOW1,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'D', 1), 'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-TYPE &BOW1 &BOW
-TYPE &EOW1 &EOW

We're giving it away today.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis you just triggered a memory. I had trouble with that a long time ago (years) and just came up with the code I posted... which works perfectly and lets you easily define the week. Nice when you look at some old code and think "why did I do it like that?". If only there was time for line by line documentation inside the fex. Winky

that is why I like reading this forum... I often find a better (read more efficient) way to do something that is already working.

WF 8.0.0.5M

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I used your code above and below is the output I am getting. How can I set the beginning of the week to Sunday and the end to Saturday? So the dates should be from 20090315 to 20090321.

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-DEFAULT &INPUT_DATE = '20090317';
-SET &BOW1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(20090317,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(20090317,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &BOW = DATECVT( DATEADD(DATECVT(20090316,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'D', -2), 'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW = DATECVT( DATEADD(DATECVT(20090320,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'D', 2), 'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-TYPE 20090316 19001231
20090316 19001231
-TYPE 20090320 19001231
20090320 19001231
-EXIT

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats

Expert
posted Hide Post
Why not use the following for your second two dates?
-SET &BOW = AYMD(&BOW1,-2,'I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW = AYMD(&EOW1,2,'I8YYMD');

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This works for me:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-*-- Determine Monday and Friday dates ---
-SET &BOW1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOW')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-*-- Determine Sunday and Saturday dates ---
-SET &BOW = DATECVT( DATEADD(DATECVT(&BOW1,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'D', -1), 'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW = DATECVT( DATEADD(DATECVT(&EOW1,'I8YYMD','YYMD'),'D', 1), 'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-*-- Determine Sunday and Saturday dates - alternative ---
-SET &BOW2 = AYMD(&BOW1,-1,'I8YYMD');
-SET &EOW2 = AYMD(&EOW1,1,'I8YYMD');

-*-- Display dates ---
-TYPE &BOW1 &BOW &BOW2 
-TYPE &EOW1 &EOW &EOW2

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
A little more, display the day of week:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-*-- DETERMINE MONDAY AND FRIDAY DATES ---

-*-- DETERMINE SUNDAY AND SATURDAY DATES ---

-*-- DETERMINE SUNDAY AND SATURDAY DATES - ALTERNATIVE ---

-*-- DETERMINE FRIENDLY DATES ---
-SET &BOW3 = DOWKL(&BOW, 'A12') || (', ' | CHGDAT('YYMD', 'MXDYY', &BOW, 'A17'));
-SET &EOW3 = DOWKL(&EOW, 'A12') || (', ' | CHGDAT('YYMD', 'MXDYY', &EOW, 'A17'));

-*-- DISPLAY DATES ---
-TYPE &BOW1 &BOW &BOW2 &BOW3
-TYPE &EOW1 &EOW &EOW2 &EOW3

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
-TYPE 20090316 19001231
20090316 19001231
-TYPE 20090320 19001231
20090320 19001231
-EXIT

The 1900 dates can be avoided by the use of .EVAL so change the &BOW1 to &BOW1.EVAL

I still do not now why, but it will help most of the time

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis for all your help. The code you gave me worked. Now that you showed me how to calcualte the current week, how do you go about calculating the previous week and current month and current year though? Sorry for asking so many questions.

Thanks FrankDutch about letting me know about adding .EVAL to &BOW1.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
EOY is the end of year.
BOY is the beginning of year.

You need the book " (almost) 1001 ways to work with dates in webfocus" isbn 978-0-9791722-1-2 it's worth the 25$.

The previous week would be:

First substract 7 days from the actual day and use that day to do the same calculations .

The actual month, change the BOW to BOM and EOW to EOM. Same with teh actual year.

(the previous month can be found by moving to the beginning of the month and substract 1 day, that moves you to the end of the previous month.

there are many more (almost 1001) ways to do this.... Smiler

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help FrankDutch. I will look into buying that book. Does that book include how to convert all date formates all well?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I ask because the table field name format I am using is HYYMDS. And I keep getting this error which i believe i need to convert one of the formats to the other.

(FOC36346) INCORRECT USE OF DATE-TIME FIELD OR CONSTANT

Expert
posted Hide Post
Well,

It depends on what you mean by "previous week", "current month" and "current year".

If "previous week" means the Sunday and Saturday of the previous week, then this will do it:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
-SET &INPUT_DATE = '20090317';

-*-- DETERMINE PREVIOUS SUNDAY AND SATURDAY DATES ---
-SET &BOWP = AYMD(&BOW2,-7,'I8YYMD');
-SET &EOWP = AYMD(&EOW2,-7,'I8YYMD');

-*-- DETERMINE FRIENDLY DATES ---
-SET &BOW3 = DOWKL(&BOW2, 'A12') || (', ' | CHGDAT('YYMD', 'MXDYY', &BOW2, 'A17'));
-SET &EOW3 = DOWKL(&EOW2, 'A12') || (', ' | CHGDAT('YYMD', 'MXDYY', &EOW2, 'A17'));

-*-- DISPLAY DATES ---
-TYPE &BOW1 &BOW2 &BOW3
-TYPE &EOW1 &EOW2 &EOW3

-TYPE PREVIOUS &BOWP - &EOWP

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
We've been led up the Dialogue Manager garden path.

You want to do this in a DEFINE or COMPUTE with a Date-Time data column? I assumed that because the user was inputting a Dialogue Manager variable which contains the date, you wanted the From and To dates in Dialogue Manager as well, to be used as filters in your program.

DEFINEs and COMPUTEs with Date-Time columns are done a little differently.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, when I say previous week it will be the previous Saturdat to Sunday. And when I say current month I mean for this whole month. If the end user puts todays date on the front end he wants to see everything for that month. And current year follows as well if he puts in todays date it should give him everything in that current year so it should give him everything in 2009. Do i make sense or no? Let me know.

The report should look like below:

Title
INPUT_DATE - input date from front end

current week: # of events
previous week: # of events
current month: # of events
previous month: # of events
current year: # of events
previous year: # of events

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I would want this done as a Define.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Directly in two lines (without DATEMOV):

-DEFAULT &XDATE=&YYMD.EVAL;

-SET &X1SUN=AYMD(&XDATE, -IMOD( DATECVT(&XDATE,'I8YYMD','W'), 7,'I1'), 'I8YYMD');
-SET &X2SAT=AYMD(&X1SUN,6,'I8YYMD');

-? &X

Explanation:

Get Focus day-of-week number (1=Mon, ..., 6=Sat, 7=Sun) from DATECVT;
Mod maps it to offset from Sunday (1,...,6,0),
subtract, with AYMD, to get BOW; add 6 to get EOW.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
-SET &ECHO=ALL;
DEFINE FILE CAR
EXDATE/HYYMDS WITH COUNTRY = HINPUT(14, '20090317000000', 8, 'HYYMDS');
EXDATE1/YYMD = HDATE(EXDATE, 'YYMD');

BOW1/YYMD = DATEMOV(EXDATE1, 'BOW');
EOW1/YYMD = DATEMOV(EXDATE1, 'EOW');

BOW2/YYMD = DATEADD(BOW1, 'DAY', -1);
EOW2/YYMD = DATEADD(EOW1, 'DAY', +1);

-*-- DETERMINE PREVIOUS SUNDAY AND SATURDAY DATES ---
BOWP/YYMD = DATEADD(BOW2, 'DAY', -7);
EOWP/YYMD = DATEADD(EOW2, 'DAY', -7);

END
-RUN

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
EXDATE
EXDATE1

BOW1 EOW1
BOW2 EOW2
BOWP EOWP
END

EXDATE is your data column.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Thank you for all your help. You help me figure out the current week and previous week and I figured out with your help the current month, current year but how would you figure the previous month since there are different amount of days in each month?

I figure for previous year i can do something like below:
This seems to work.

-DEFAULT &INPUT_DATE = '20090318'

-SET &BOY1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOY')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOY1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOY')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-SET &BOYP = AYMD(&BOY1,-365,'I8YYMD');
-SET &EOYP = AYMD(&EOY1,-366,'I8YYMD');

Expert
posted Hide Post
Now that you know how to use the functions, you would:

Determine the beginning of the Month,
Subtract one day,
Determine the beginning of the Month of this new Date,

etc.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis. I used the code below to determine the previous beginning of the month and end of the month. I really appreciate all your help.

-*-- DETERMINE BEGINNING AND END OF MONTH ---
-SET &BOM1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOM')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOM1 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&INPUT_DATE,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOM')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');

-*-- DETERMINE PREVIOUS BEGINNING MONTH AND END OF MONTH ---
-SET &BOM2 = AYMD(&BOM1,-1,'I8YYMD');
-SET &BOM3 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&BOM2,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'BOM')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');
-SET &EOM3 = DATECVT((DATEMOV((DATECVT(&BOM2,'I8YYMD','YYMD')),'EOM')),'YYMD','I8YYMD');