Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] line numbers i text editor?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] line numbers i text editor?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, error messages refer to line numbers -
but is there a way to turn on line numbers in the text editor? thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NateH,

wf 7.7
windows xp
apdf,excel

Posts: 8 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: October 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are using Dev Studio, there are 5 buckets/boxes in the bottom right; the 2nd bucket has line and column numbers...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Your could also open in one of the many text editors out there.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Flynn:
the 2nd bucket has line and column numbers...

...which disappear as soon as you edit a file in the HTML Composer.

That position information isn't that convenient to use either; you have to guess about where the mentioned line would be, position your cursor there, check how far off you were and reposition until you found it.

Most editors provide line numbers, and many also provide a means to jump directly to a specified line (UltraEdit and Vim, to name a few).

The builtin editor is rather primitive, really. If using external editors was reliable, I would suggest using those, but alas, expect frequent crashes of Dev Studio, file corruption, etc, when using those.

Maybe it's better in 7.7, my experiences with 7.6 so far aren't good. IMHO, IBI should hire some developers to write a proper IDE for them, they obviously can't do it themselves.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
+1 TextPad.

Even Notepad has Ctrl + G (Goto Line).

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
they obviously can't do it themselves

If you realy want this functionality, then put in a New Feature Request, in fect, if everyone put it in, then it get weight, and will probably happen.

...... EditPlus all the way.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I wasn't talking about just the editor, but about the entire IDE. It's a mess and terribly outdated.

No line numbers or a way to jump to a specific line, no block selects, frequent crashes, a terrible virtual file structure that doesn't allow for subdirectories, memory thrashing, etc. These are just off the top of my head, there are many more.

The languages themselves can use some updates too, like allowing comments to start from a position > 0 in FOCUS (after a line-terminator or an indentation, for example), block-level statements in DM (that's being worked on apparently), better means to make query results available for DM logic, etc.

That we still don't have these things seems to indicate that IBI is taking a passive stance towards development, not implementing any new features until enough people ask for them while ignoring progress all around them. Makes me wonder what these people are doing all day.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
For starters, I agree.

But IBI will not put much effort in a new IDE. Policy is you should be able to do all in the GUI, who needs a texteditor?

Roll Eyes

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
who needs a texteditor?

I do. As I am sure that many others do as well. An external editor is the best bet. After all, as soon as enough DM is included it "out grows" the GUI. The GUI is, after all, does not include 100% of the functionality of WebFOCUS. AKA: WebFOCUS Can do so much more then the GUI is capable of handling. Smiler

BTW: I Do Not like the way the line numbers go away after editing an htm file. Frowner

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
who needs a texteditor

I do as well. It take me 10 times longer to do almost anything using the GUI. You can probably count on 10 fingers the number of times I have ever used the GUI.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you everyone

wf 7.7
windows xp
apdf,excel

posted Hide Post
Guess that was a bit of a can of worms. Yes, within the text editor, you can briefly observe the line number by looking at the lower right. Displaying line numbers permanently - so that you can even print your code with the line numbers - does not seem to be feasible with the current product. Some people suggest using a different text editor. regards

wf 7.7
windows xp
apdf,excel