Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     HTML parameter screen and where

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
HTML parameter screen and where
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a WF HTML screen that works well. It allows the users to pick a field, then an operation, then to type in a value. The fex then uses all this info to build a where statement.

I can build as many of these (3 elements) as a wish, however I have over 100 fields that the users can chose (that many potential where statements).

What is a better way of allow the users to dynamically build as many where's as the want?

Fernando - WF 7.13

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Fernando

My approach would be along the sort of 'wizard' line.

Have a listbox for the fieldnames, one for the operators, a text entry, and an ADD button which drops the 3 elements together with appropriate syntax, via js, into a combobox.

The users can build up many criteria and you can use the combobox values directly in the focexec. The users could select an item from the combobox and edit it or delete it, again via js.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Another consideration, Fernado, is to put the fields in meanigful groups so that
if the user selects one field of the group then they can be blocked from selecting
other fields that are not needed. Such as selecting Zip or City and State but not all three, or selecting
Email or Employee Id (customer id?) but not both.

Also, even though there is no limit to the number of WHERE statements in a focexec there is
a limit to the size of all the test values. This includes any multi-select values.

From Tech Support:
"Currently the buffersize to contain test values is 16,000 bytes for all
WHERE statements against a FOCUS database or relational table.
NOTE:The buffersize for an IF statement is 32,737.
The buffersize for non-FOCUS and non-Relational files is 3,200 for WHERE or IF statements."

I hope this helps.
Greg

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Very good points to note Greg.

The size of the where clauses can be checked within js before submission so as to avoid errors when running.

A starting point for grouping in a select is the optgroup tag, which allows a heading type label in a select.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
TexasStingray, Alan, and Greg,

Thanks for the input. I have started to build the interface to dynamically build the WHERE.

Right now I have it so the user picks the field, operation, and value and then adds to a list box that builds the where statement.

Will work with the users to get the visuals right and to make sure I cover the majority of what is needed.

Hey Texas you have: Accross Attributes and it should be Across Attributes (one c not two).

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03