Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Create a HOLD file using OVER

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Create a HOLD file using OVER
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY ROWS 'ENGLAND' OVER 'JAPAN' OVER 'SWEDEN'
ON TABLE HOLD AS H1
END
?FF H1
TABLE FILE H1
PRINT *
END

Strangely, the result of ?FF H1 shows there's only one field in the HOLD file, SALES.
The subsequent TABLE results in a two-column report, the first column has no name.

Is there any way to name the column that the OVER is being applied to? Shouldn't it just be COUNTRY, since that's the BY statement?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
? HOLD H1 Show that there is no field name but there is an alias E01 you can use it.

Scott

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is the result I get from the ?FF in 5.3.2:

FILENAME=  H1
 SALES         E02           I6

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis :
Like Scott was saying, you could use E01 as the field-name for the Country-name field.
You can see that for yourself by using the "? HOLD hfilename" command instead of the "?FF hfilename" command. I belive the latter only shows you the original field names and not the temp fields that are built on the fly (in cases like OVER).

-SET &ECHO=ALL;
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
ON TABLE HOLD AS H1
END
-RUN
? HOLD H1
-RUN
-EXIT
-* (above code will show you the E01 temp field).
TABLE FILE H1
PRINT
E01
END
-* (will print only the Country column, which you can rename if you want to re-use later).

Sandeep M.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
OVER formatting is done after the internal matrix is built. The hold file derives from the internal matrix so you will never get this effect in the hold file.

I tried to do this as well as it would be very useful if it did work!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I'm sure that you don't need reminding that you can always issue APP HOLD BASEAPP to have a gander at the FTM and MAS files produced by your HOLD.

It seems as though this works for most others in as much that "we" get the E01 field within the HOLD file, however, from your post you say that you do not. What environmental settings do you have there? Perhaps one of them is preventing the column from being held, although I can't think of one that would.

BTW, ?FF only gives the SALES E02 information on 7.1.3 as well so I would be more inclined to use ? HOLD H1 instead.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the same as a FOR statement and thus invokes FML/FRL/EMR or whatever IBI are calling it today. Smiler

The FOR field in a HOLD for FML is always converted to alphanumeric format and does not appear in the HOLD file, but as mentioned the E01, alias, does.

Not quite sure why this is done, but there must be some usefulness.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The HOLD file does indeed have bothe the E01 and E02 fields.

It just seems odd that the ?FF and ? HOLD provides different answers.

I wish FML worked like normal WebFOCUS.

Thanks everyone.

Francis