Focal Point
[SOLVED]Azure SQL

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9817011886

October 23, 2017, 09:06 AM
Martin vK
[SOLVED]Azure SQL
Our company wants to move much of the IT to Azure. Part of this is also moving from DB2 to Azure SQL.

Does someone already have experience with using Azure SQL from WebFOCUS?
There is not yet a native adapter for this, so what adapter would be best to use?

Up to now I have tried to use JDBC Generic. I can make a connection, and it can connect to tables and make synonyms.

I do have difficulties with using DataMigrator however. It is giving me errors writing to the tables. Next to this JDBC adapter does not seem to give me possibility of bulkload, which is essential to get some performance in most of my flows.

I appreciate any experience with Azure SQL you can share.

Martin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martin vK,

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster
October 23, 2017, 09:11 AM
BabakNYC
What version of WebFOCUS are you running?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
October 23, 2017, 10:05 AM
Frans
Do you mean Azure SQL datawarehouse? You can use the SQL server JDBC for that.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
October 23, 2017, 11:57 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Martin

I found that there is an internal project to create a native adapter for Azure but it is not ready yet. It says you can use SQL Server ODBC to connect for read/write capability right now. This is not supported for Azure DW though..

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
October 24, 2017, 09:24 AM
Martin vK
Babak, Frans, Chuck, thanks for your replies.

Babak, I am using WF the latest WF 8201 version to test the Azure SQL connection.

Chuck, good to hear they already started programming on a native adapter for Azure SQL, I can not wait.... Do they have an expected date when it will be ready? I am also available for beta testing on this if needed.

I will soon try to use the SQL Server ODBC/JDBC adapter for connecting and let you know.

Has anyone already tried using Azure SQL as target in DM flows?

Martin.

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster
October 24, 2017, 12:17 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Martin

I just found out the the Azure specific adapter is for Azure Data Warehouse and not Azure DB. So the SQL Server ODBC is a read write adapter and you should be able to use it as a target with DataMigrator.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

October 27, 2017, 05:27 AM
Martin vK
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the feedback. That is too bad. As I understand Azure Data Warehouse is more for OLAP processing, for which we already mainly use Hyperstage. Azure SQL DB is more for OLTP processing (and much cheaper!) and would be our aim for replacing DB2 in Azure.

When I read information on internet, it seems that Azure Data Warehouse is using Azure SQL DB in the background, so for SQL syntax there might not be much difference, but I do not know all technical details. So maybe this new Azure DW adapter might also be useable for Azure SQL DB or maybe not much work for specific Azure SQL DB adapter. I would appreciate if you can ask the specific product manager.

Concerning using ODBC/JDBC adapter in DataMigrator. It is indeed possible to use it as a target. But ODBC/JDBC adapter do not provide Bulkload possibility. For this I think I am dependent on a Native adapter.

So it seems currently Azure SQL DB is not suitable replacement for DB2 as long as I do not have a native adapter to work with.

Martin.

October 27, 2017, 07:15 AM
Martin vK
Hi,

A surprise to me. the SQL Server ODBC adapter also provides a bulkload. I had not expected, but is does and it works also for loading in Azure SQL DB.

Martin

May 22, 2019, 02:48 AM
priyanka vyas
Hi All,
hope you all are doing well.
i just wanted to know one thing can we configure azure adapter in webfocus 8105M. is it possible or not and if yes , what are solution steps.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
May 22, 2019, 12:10 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Priyanka

See BabakNYC's answer in your other post. Please don't keep asking the same question in multiple posts.