Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Removing Leading spaces from the Column Data

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Removing Leading spaces from the Column Data
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi All,

I got stuck in a problem.
I have one column data as
"1. Some string Data Here"

Now I want to remove the 1. and space after it. OR just the space between 1. and String.

that my output should be like this
"Some string Data Here" OR
"1Some string Data Here"

My Report output format is TABT(Text) format

I have tried STRREP and TRIM with Left but not able to remove the space
Here is the code

STRREP used

WORK_UNIT_NAME/A302=STRREP(303,WORK_UNIT_NAME,2,'1.',0,'X',302,WORK_UNIT_NAME);

Here is TRIM I used

WORK_UNIT_NAME/A301=TRIM('L',WORK_UNIT_NAME,301,' ',0,WORK_UNIT_NAME);

This two lines I have used in the Define,
and I am not able to use TRUNCATE in Define.

Please suggest me something
Any help would be highly appreciated .

Thanks.
Anmol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus7.6.2, WebFocus 7.1.1,Windows
HTML, PDF and Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think you can do that with GETTOK looking for the second token separated by a dot. And then do a left justify of the data.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Example in DM:
-SET &TEXT = '1. Some string data here' ;
-TYPE &TEXT
-SET &TEXT2=LJUST(&TEXT.LENGTH,GETTOK(&TEXT, &TEXT.LENGTH, 2, '.', &TEXT.LENGTH, 'A&TEXT.LENGTH'), 'A&TEXT.LENGTH');
-TYPE &TEXT2

You can do this in DEFINE also of course.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There are several things wrong with your code.

1) Do not name the virtual column the same as the real column, if you do and if there is an error in the function call, the report will still run, but with the real column.

e.g.:

DEFINE FILE CAR
COUNTRYX/A301 = '1. ' | COUNTRY;
COUNTRYX/A301=TRIM('L',COUNTRYX,301,' ',0,COUNTRYX);
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
COUNTRYX
END
Even though there is an error here, the report still runs. To see the error, change the code to:
DEFINE FILE CAR
COUNTRYX/A301 = '1. ' | COUNTRY;
COUNTRYY/A301=TRIM('L',COUNTRYX,301,' ',0,COUNTRYY);
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
COUNTRYX
COUNTRYY
END

2) Syntax error in the TRIM call - the "pattern_length" cannot be 0.

3) This STRREP should work:
WORK_UNIT_NAMEX/A303 = STRREP(303, WORK_UNIT_NAME, 3, '1. ', 0, 'X', 303,'A303');

4) If you know that you need to remove the first three characters, use the SUBSTR function:
-*                     SUBSTR(inlength, parent, start, end, sublength, outfield);
WORK_UNIT_NAMEX/A300 = SUBSTR(301, WORK_UNIT_NAME, 4, 301, 300, 'A300');

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As I said in your other post.
http://forums.informationbuild...237020006#2237020006

Use LJUST.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
Thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for the late reply..
I am able to work out for the solution using CTRAN function.

Followign line works for me..
 WORK_UNIT_NAMEX/A303 = CTRAN(303, WORK_UNIT_NAME, 9, 32, WORK_UNIT_NAME); 

Thanks a lot..

Regards,
Anmol

WebFocus7.6.2, WebFocus 7.1.1,Windows
HTML, PDF and Excel