Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Multiple reporting Object Filters Breaks Report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Multiple reporting Object Filters Breaks Report
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a Reporting Object with several filters defined in it. Some of these are hard-coded filters and others are set up to prompt for values at run-time. No matter what combination of these I use - as long as I include more than one of them - the selection criteria logic breaks and I get data back that falls outside the selection criteria.

If I build these same filters and/or parameters in the reporting tool (Report Assist or Power Painter) the selection criteria works the way it should.

Anybody else having this type of problem?

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
turn your echo on and view source on the report to see your underlying code, to see if your filters are coded the way you think they are.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

This will tell you how much of a non-code person I am. When I edit the Reporting Object and open the Other section I tried to add a SET command but I do not see one called ECHO. I tried using SET MESSAGE=ON but that didn't do anything.

From the Report Assist interface I don't see any way to access the procedure code so I'm guessing it has to be done in the Reporting Object. Will you be so kind as to tell me how to do that?

Thanks.

Dan Smiler

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

It's a Dialogue Manager command. Put at the beginning of your procedure to see how your code is actually constructed.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Post your code, so we can see what might be wrong.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
-SET &ECHO = ALL ;

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
FrankDutch,

Here is the code for the REPORTING OBJECT in question...

CODE REMOVED 22-Jan-08

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

Guru
posted Hide Post
Alan & Susannah,

I am working with a REPORTING OBJECT and thus I am not creating a procedure in DevStudio in which I can add the -SET &ECHO=ALL command. I tried adding it to the Other section of my REPORTING OBJECT but it didn't reveal anything when I created a report in Report Assist.

Dan

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, when we want to illustrate a point, we use the CAR file ( or the EMPDATA, or one of the standard files that come with the product), that's what its there for. Do your example on the CAR file so we can all see it easily. and explain it to you without having to decipher your own app. thanks.
Of course you can add a -SET &ECHO in a reporting object, otherwise we wouldn't have told you to do so. Open the very top element, i think its called OTHER and put all your environment setup commands in there, eg. FILEDEFs, USEs, etc.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Dan

This will never work.
Please start with asking the management for some basic training. You are mixing all kind of functionality into your script.

some where in the code I see (in the mail I have got there is more than here on the FP site) a

table file ...
end

Nothing in between, what should the program do?

we will try to help, but start somewhere!

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What Dan is showing is the code of the Reporting object, without any report having been developed - thus the blank TABLE request.

What we need to see, as Susannah states, is the echo from an actual request being run. There is probably no way to troubleshoot a problem with a reporting object outside the content of an actual report. And reproducing the issue using CAR is the first step.

One thing I DID notice is that a lot of your &variable values have embedded spaces with no surrounding quotes. That's a no-no. And when posting code, please put it inside of the
[code]
[/code] markers. Thanks

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As amsterdamfrank says, not only download the mre admin manual, actually *read* it.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Let me try to redeem myself atleast a little bit here...

If you go back to the original post you will see that the entire time I've been talking about a REPORTING OBJECT not a report procedure.

I DID add the -SET &ECHO=ALL statement to the Other section of the Reporting Object and it did not display anything in the output.

The code I posted is from the REPORTING OBJECT. Here I will apologize for not knowing that the CAR files is intended for demonstration purposes. Also, the blank spaces are not really in my code. They were put there when I pasted the code into the reply. Again I will apologize for not knowing the rules for using this forum.

Finally, thanks for the encouragement to actually *read* the documentation. What a novel idea!!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan

You add the ECHO in other as Susannah suggested. Use view source after running, again as Susannah suggested, at the bottom will be the code that was run. That's the important bit.

I have just run some tests on filters/where/report builder with reporting objects and find that the filters work as expected, the where works as expected and the table works as expected.

By looking at the code that was run, using view source with -SET &ECHO=ON, then we can maybe help. Reporting object is just a glorified report procedure, full stop.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
OK Everybody

I'm going to try this again with the CAR file this time. Hopefully I will have entered the code section in properly...

Here is the REPORTING OBJECT called cartest.fex
-DEFAULT &SECTION=WHERE
-IF &SECTION EQ 'WHERE' GOTO WHERE;
-IF &SECTION EQ 'SUFFIX' GOTO SUFFIX;
-* BEGIN OF IBIOBJECTS PROCESSING
-* END OF IBIOBJECTS PROCESSING
-IF &SECTION EQ 'FILTER0' GOTO FILTER0;
-IF &SECTION EQ 'FILTER1' GOTO FILTER1;
-PREFIX
-*Other
-SET &ECHO=ALL
-*End Other
DEFINE FILE CAR
END
-GOTO SKIP0
-*GROUP=Parameters
-*Seats
-FILTER0
SEATS EQ &VAR_SEATS.(OR(FIND SEATS IN CAR)).Seats.
-GOTO SKIP0
-*GROUP=Parameters
-*DealerCost
-FILTER1
DEALER_COST EQ &VAR_DEALER_COST.(OR(FIND DEALER_COST IN CAR)).Dealer Cost.
-GOTO SKIP0
-WHERE
-GOTO SKIP0
-TABLE
TABLE FILE CAR
END
-GOTO SKIP0
-GRAPH
GRAPH FILE CAR
END
-GOTO SKIP0
-SUFFIX
-GOTO SKIP0
-SKIP0

Here is a REPORT created with REPORT ASSIST using the FILTER OBJECTS created in the REPORTING OBJECT. This is the report that fails.
-* Begin MR Prefix *-
-SET &SECTION='PREFIX';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex
-* End MR Prefix *-
TABLE FILE CAR
-* Begin MR Suffix *-
-SET &SECTION='WHERE';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex
WHERE ((
 (
-SET &SECTION='FILTER1';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex
)
 OR (
-SET &SECTION='FILTER0';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex
)));
-* End MR Suffix *-
-* HTML Tool
-* Created by Report Assistant
-* FF Line do not change this line! Field Name
-* FF Line do not change this line! Alias
-* FF Line do not change this line! Format
-* FF Line do not change this line! Segment
-* FF Line do not change this line! ShowFieldTree
-* FF Line do not change this line! displayTree=0
SUM CAR.BODY.SEATS
CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
CAR.BODY.SALES
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY CAR.COMP.CAR
BY CAR.CARREC.MODEL
BY CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
-INCLUDE IBFS:/CFG/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/javaassist/intl/EN/ENDefaultTableStyle.sty
TYPE=REPORT,
   GRID=OFF,
 $
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END
-* End Report Assistant
-SET &SECTION='SUFFIX';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex

Here is a REPORT created with REPORT ASSIST using new FILTERS created in the REPORT ASSIST. This report works.
-* Begin MR Prefix *-
-SET &SECTION='PREFIX';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex
-* End MR Prefix *-
TABLE FILE CAR
-* Begin MR Suffix *-
-SET &SECTION='WHERE';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex
-* End MR Suffix *-
-* HTML Tool
-* Created by Report Assistant
-* FF Line do not change this line! Field Name
-* FF Line do not change this line! Alias
-* FF Line do not change this line! Format
-* FF Line do not change this line! Segment
-* FF Line do not change this line! ShowFieldTree
-* FF Line do not change this line! displayTree=0
SUM CAR.BODY.SEATS
CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
CAR.BODY.SALES
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY CAR.COMP.CAR
BY CAR.CARREC.MODEL
BY CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE
WHERE (CAR.BODY.SEATS EQ &VAR_SEATS.(OR(FIND SEATS IN CAR)).Seats:.)
AND (CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST EQ &VAR_DEALER_COST.(OR(FIND DEALER_COST IN CAR)).Dealer_cost:.);
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
-INCLUDE IBFS:/CFG/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/javaassist/intl/EN/ENDefaultTableStyle.sty
TYPE=REPORT,
   GRID=OFF,
 $
ENDSTYLE
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END
-* End Report Assistant
-SET &SECTION='SUFFIX';
-INCLUDE mrv/cartest.fex

The bottom line is this. When you use only one FILTER OBJECT from the REPORTING OBJECT it works. As soon as you add more FILTER OBJECTS from the REPORTING OBJECT they fail to filter the data properly. If you use FILTERS created directly in REPORT ASSIST the selection criteria works just fine.

Thanks!

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan

The Filters are seperated with OR, the WHERE with an AND.

That's the difference.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Guru
posted Hide Post
Alan,

You are correct! Therein lies the 'bug'. I would expect the FILTERS to also be processed with AND just like the WHERE clauses are.

Since these reports are created with REPORT ASSIST and who knows when a user will create one there's no practical way for me to fix them. This is unfortunate because I'd like to be able to define the FILTER OBJECTS one time and then allow them to be re-used whenever a user creates a report based on the particular REPORTING OBJECT. I think that's supposed to be one of the benefits of using REPORTING OBJECTS.

Thanks,

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan

Filter GROUPS are connected with AND, filters within a GROUP by an OR, so you should be able to construct what you need with multiple GROUPS.

It is actually quite logical when you think about it.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Expert
posted Hide Post
which is exactly why i told you do put them in the WHERE section.
RTFM . Do it now. and come back AFTER you've done that.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Alan,

"Filter GROUPS are connected with AND, filters within a GROUP by an OR..."

Yes, it is perfectly logical but not at all intuitive. No where in the documentation on REPORTING OBJECTS did I see anything stating this! My assumption was that each filter was just a filter unto itself and that the Filter Groups were there for placing them in user-friendly combinations.

THANKS! That is what I needed to know.

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan

I agree the docs aren't clear, don't ask me to defend them! Music

The use of &ECHO and view source to see the generated code is so very useful to debugging ANY WF report, that is how I discovered this. Please try it and become comfortable with it.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007