Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] How to catch error in RC job and not continue with other tasks

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] How to catch error in RC job and not continue with other tasks
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have an RC job that runs every week. It has not given me any error until recently. The steps after the task that errored out got executed and I published an incorrect report. The RC job just creates a report to a shared drive does not send an email of the report that got created.

How do I catch this error and tell RC not to execute the rest of the tasks if I get an error? How can I send a notification to an email so that if there was an error, somebody gets notified and we can react to the error before publishing and incorrect report?

Here's the error that I got during the RC job and would like to catch this:

Connecting to server EDASERVE with execution id admin
Executing focexec.
No report to create.
SQLCODE IS 2706 (HEX: 00000A92) XOPEN: 42S02
: ASA Error -141: Table season not found
L (FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.
Task finished.

Thanks,
Joel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Joel,

Windows 2003 Server, Sybase IQ, DB2, SQL Server and Oracle Databases
Excel, HTML and PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
In Report Caster it seems like each task in a schedule runs on its own and does not look at the previous task status.
The only way I have gotten around this is to put some sort of preprocessing procedure in each task that in some way checks the proper output of the previous task and issues a &KILL_RPC if it is not satisfactory.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can have "Job 1" create a status file which is then read by "Job 2". Job 2, in turn will run / or not based on the contents of the file created in job 1.

It may be a work arond. But, it's as good as checking a Return Code of a previous job (imho)...

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to incorporate your suggestions with the job.

One question, on the Edit Schedule, there's a tab for settings and then a section for Notification. If I use the dropdown "On Error", will this catch the error of the job and send me notification? I noticed that it will always send notification if there are no email attachment for the job. So if I'm just generating the report to file, I will get an error every time.

Thanks,
Joel

Windows 2003 Server, Sybase IQ, DB2, SQL Server and Oracle Databases
Excel, HTML and PDF

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Joel,

there is a setting for this behaviour in the RC-configuration.
Start -> Programs -> IBI -> ReportCaster -> Dist. Server -> configuration -> edit

Default Setting -> Default processing for no report to distribute
change to warning

regards,
Markus

WF 7.6.6 (MRE,BID, DevStudio, partly RC) on Windows 2003 /Apache/Tomcat
Output: HTML,Excel,PDF,PPT
Adapters: SQL Server, DB2, Oracle

Posts: 38 | Location: Austria, Linz | Registered: June 19, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That setting is for notification (of job results) not for error trapping...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post