Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [NFR] Active Cache For HTML Reports?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[NFR] Active Cache For HTML Reports?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I've obtained great results, after enabling Active Cache for a TABLE FILE command with AHTML formatting.:
 ON TABLE SET WEBVIEWER ON
 ON TABLE SET CACHELINES 200

For this particular report my user can also select HTML format.

Is there a similar environmental setting/technique, that would improve improve response time/remove answer set limitations, for HTML reports?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Briars,

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David, How did you measure the improvement as I couldn't see any difference with using those 2 commands ? Ian

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian,

In our case, we were creating an AHTML report consisting of 224,198 rows.

We've optimized the run time of the report itself, and made sure that the SQL passed to Oracle was optimzed. We also ran the SQL outside of WebFOCUS, using PL/SQL Developer, just to double-check.

Without Active Cache, the browser hangs, because of the size of the report.

With Active Cache, the first page, of the report, appears within 30 seconds. I measured this using a stopwatch website: http://tools.arantius.com/stopwatch

In our case we were using Active Cache's ability to handle large reports, as well as, it ability to yield better performance.

Regards,
Dave

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Master
posted Hide Post
Ian-

One more thing, we didn't see Active Cache work in our previous release (7.6.8). It wasn't till we went to 7.7.02, did we see the performance gain.

-Dave

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the post. I have tested our reports with a large volume of data (150,000 rows) and the settings make a huge difference. My original report was only 5000 rows as another post somewhere mentioned not to go past this threshold. Anyway that was not big enough to test properly. Also found that when you export to Excel massive savings in time are made here too, as before, the spreadsheet opened slowly populating the rows and now it offers a dialogue box to Save or Open and when you select Open the whole lot is there immediately. I would go as far to say the these settings should be used without hestition if using FORMAT AHTML (we do not need the Webviewer for FORMAT HTML).
Merry Xmas. Ian

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Ian - Thank you for the status and results.

All - I've opened a NFR with IB on this. Something along the lines of: 'Give HTML formats a 'cacheing feature', similar to what AHTML reports have, so that benefits of larger reports/better response time, can be gained.'

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
Just a quick one following on from the recent posts etc. Can you apply the SET CACHELINES 200 setting in InfoAssist via the GUI when creating an ActiveReport or do you have to manually amend the code generated ? Regards, Ian

Master
posted Hide Post
Ian,

At the moment, we do not use InfoAssist at our site.

Dave

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
No probs Dave. I will check with our customer support people.

<MLerner>
posted
You can turn on the Active Cache in InfoAssist via the Pages on Demand button on the format tab.

However, in the current release there is no way to set the number of lines.

In WebFOCUS 8, we have added full Active Report Customization, which includes this, styling of things like the menu, choosing menu items, security, etc.

The only thing we did not add in WF 8, is the ability to start with a calculation preset on a column.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Matthew - works well. Look forward to seeing other 'improvements' in WF 8.