Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Limitation of Match file ??????

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Limitation of Match file ??????
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I would like to know if there is limitation of Match function. Since I have 100 tables needs to match together.

URGEN !!!

Guru
posted Hide Post
I think there's a limit of 6 files at one time!
However, once you have 6 files from a match in a hold file you can then match that hold file to 5 more files.

However, Matches are not very efficient. You should try to join a few files at a time to produce hold files and keep working from there.

Good Luck!
Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Is this a one-time effort, or something you will do on a regular basis?

What is the datasource?
Can you use relational views to join some of your source tables together?

What is your objective of matching so many tables?

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
BTW, are you using FOCUS or WebFOCUS?

As of iWay 532 the limit for data sources in a match has increased to 16.

http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/ibase/master...snf53/rep_lang22.htm

I am not sure of the FOCUS release this was applied to but the more recent release allow 16 files in MATCH.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
Actually, I used the function -Across column in terms of no of columns and verb objects. It worked fine when the FIELD is UP to 94, But I do need the FIELD Up to 100. I am getting an error (Topic: Limitation of Across, posted at 08 December, 2004 21:51)

(FOC153) VERB OBJECTS TIMES RETRIEVED COLUMNS EXCEEDS MAXIMUM

TABLE FILE EXAMPLE
SUM
FIELD1 OVER
FIELD2 OVER
FIELD3 OVER
FIELD4 OVER
FIELD5 OVER
FIELD6 OVER
FIELD7 OVER
FIELD8 OVER
FIELD98 OVER
FIELD99 OVER
FIELD100
BY FIELDX NOPRINT
BY FIELDY NOPRINT
BY FIELDZ NOPRINT
ACROSS FIELDA AS ''
COLUMNS
'JAN' AND
'FEB' AND
'MAR' AND
'APR' AND
'MAY' AND
'JUN' AND
'JUL' AND
'AUG' AND
'SEP' AND
'OCT' AND
'NOV' AND
'DEC'
END

Other members suggest that it needs to seperate them into the table format as below. Then, Use the MATCH FILE function to match FIELD1 ..... FIELD100. Crazy Mad Mad Mad Confused Confused Confused

ANY SUGGESTION, PLEASE ! Frowner Frowner

TABLE FILE FIELD1
PRINT
JAN
FEB
MAR
APR
MAY
JUN
JUL
AUG
SEP
OCT
NOV
DEC
BY FIELDX
BY FIELDY
BY FIELDZ
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Expert
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a perfect FML application.
However, if you dont want to use FML,
then do 1 across with 12 months (use smart dates and you won't have to manually order the columns)
and make each one of your concepts (the 'over' fields) a separate file which you concat when you read with a MORE command.
Order them, in the order you want in your report.
Use an integer field with an incrementing value for each of the separate files.
Use a single variable in each of the files to contain the concept name as you would want it printed in your final report.
Use a loop thru a list of concept names when you create the 100+ individual temp files,
Use the same loop construct when you read them using MORE
Then your final report is
TABLE FILE FILE1
SUM thing ACROSS MONTH
BY ORDER NOPRINT BY CONCEPT
MORE
FILE1
MORE
FILE3
-etc
This is all quite easy.
But your post is titled 'match' and this problem has nothing to do with 'match'.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Susannah,

I have 100 tables with the same format field, Now, I would like to generate one report with 100 tables.

What can I do ?