Focal Point
[CLOSED] Freeze column headings (and row titles) in HTML output????

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9901026261

November 30, 2006, 03:41 PM
Trav
[CLOSED] Freeze column headings (and row titles) in HTML output????
For those of you that are seeing performance issues, can you give me an idea of how big of results you're talking?

I think most of us at my org run 1gb of memory or less -- but I've got result sets that are around 20-25 columns wide and approx 250 rows depending on how the users run the report. I definitely see degradation when I get a lot more rows than that, but it does still flow pretty nicely.

Just curious at what threshold you all are seeing the degradation occur.

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF
November 30, 2006, 03:50 PM
susannah
i saw that...i'm clueless but interested,as well.
Trav, my lockup happens when i have more than 1 BY field, and i want to lock, say, column 2 or higher. First time out, i locked at column 6, with fixed headers. Very amusing results...
A cool, but so-far-unneeded feature, you can lock JUST column 6, and everything else slides underneath it... Silly, but might come in handy someday

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
November 30, 2006, 04:01 PM
Trav
I should have said too that I am locking ALL headers in my report and column 1 only. I am also locking all report headings and I have 2 BYs I think.

As far as locking a column in the middle of the report -- it does sound fun. Maybe if you wanted to create some sort of "dual pane" effect or something? Can't think of a good application/example at the moment...

January 23, 2009, 07:56 AM
Rob Soors
I'm trying to freeze the report headers using the css file.
However, I still have a problem because I'm using an 'across report'

when I scroll, the data reappears in the upper left corner...

Across_1 Across_2 Across_3
Title_1 Title_2 Title_3 Title_4 Title_5 Title_6
A A A A A A
B B B B B B

After scroll

A A A Across_1 Across_2 Across_3
Title_1 Title_2 Title_3 Title_4 Title_5 Title_6
B B B B B B

Windows
Excell,HTML,PDF,Dashboard,…
January 23, 2009, 09:26 AM
GinnyJakes
If you can easily upgrade, starting in 765 HFREEZE is available which allows you to fix headings and scroll the report. For HTML reports only.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
January 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
FrankDutch
Ginny

This is perfect and so simple!!!

Where do you find the time to read all the Focus Manuals.....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

January 23, 2009, 10:49 AM
GinnyJakes
Well, Frank, I'm the WF admin and every time there is a new release, I take the time to read the SoNF to see if we want to move forward to that release. I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to that stuff.

I also support quite a number of business developers who ask me many questions that force me to do research.

Also I've been in the business 40 years and I've just always read manuals. I find it saves you time in the long run.

And I love HFREEZE! Winky

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
January 23, 2009, 11:07 AM
Trav
I just took a look at HFREEZE and I like it. Makes it very easy to implement header/footer/title freezing.

For what it's worth though, the method I use has the ability to freeze entire columns as well -- sort of like what you can do in Excel with freeze panes. Not trying to bash HFREEZE because it's definitely MUCH easier to implement than my CSS stuff!! But if you need to freeze more than just headers, footers, and column titles, you might not be able to use HFREEZE... I like the ability of HFREEZE to set a specific size to scroll, but in some cases you may not know that or may not want a fixed size.

Overall though, it's a great start and I hope they expand it's functionality because it would really make some of my stuff much easier to deal with...

January 23, 2009, 11:23 AM
FrankDutch
A column freeze (VFREEZE) would be nice, set 1 or more or all the by field columns frozen.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

January 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
susannah
Frank,
Active Reports has a "VFREEZE" type thing..
but its a bit buggy.
it works fine on the car file, but get very fancy in your code, and it starts whacking out...especially if there are subtotal lines..

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
January 29, 2009, 06:22 PM
Trav
Any obvious way to set the scroll size in HFREEZE? That feature would be VERY useful if so...

January 30, 2009, 12:11 AM
susannah
Trav, yes, the hfreeze sets the size of the scroll window. 4 or 5 is the default, but you can set it to whatever you want. SCROLLHEIGHT i believe is the argument name.
Syntax: How to Scroll Report Output
Using StyleSheet attributes, you can set aside a scrollable area for HTML report output:

TYPE=REPORT, HFREEZE={ON|TOP|BOTTOM|OFF}, [ SCROLLHEIGHT={4|nn[.n]}], $
where:

HFREEZE=ON
Freezes the heading, column titles, grand totals, and footing.

HFREEZE=TOP
Freezes the heading and column titles.

HFREEZE=BOTTOM
Freezes the grand totals and footing.

nn[.n]
Is the height, in inches, of the scrollable area. The default is 4 inches.

November 18, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hua
HFREEZE doesn't work with multiple lines of Grand total. Any one has ideal why?
Thanks.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM 
	SALES OVER
	DCOST OVER
	COMPUTE NET/D12 = SALES - DCOST;
BY CAR AS ''
ACROSS SEATS AS ''
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS 'GRAND TOTAL'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=ON,
     FONT='ARIAL',
	 HFREEZE=ON,
     SIZE=8,
$
ENDSTYLE
END  

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hua,

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS
November 19, 2010, 04:32 AM
GamP
It's not the multiple grand total lines that cause hfreeze not to work,it's the OVER that prevents the HFREEZE feature from being activated. If you have OVER in place, your column headings are not on top any more, but are located to the left of the column value.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
November 19, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hua
Thanks Gamp.

OVER was the requirement and the totals were aligned properly until I added the HFREEZE.
You could be right about the confusion of freezing titles when it goes side by side.

Hua

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hua,

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS
November 19, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hua
HFREEZE = TOP works just fine in my case. Thanks.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS