Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solution] Graph Error

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solution] Graph Error
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Has anyone ever received the following error when running a graph?

possible error on: a();

It seems to come and go on its own. When I look at the code thats run, it doesn't mention any errors. Is it possible that this has something to do with the graphing engine?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EWoerle,

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

Has this issue been resolved on your side?

Since this is a graph question, can you please post your current code here? Or a screenshot of what you see would be helpful as well.

Thank you in advance for sharing with all. Smiler

Cheers,
Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey Kerry,

I haven't been able to resolve this issue yet. I have opened up a help ticket in the mean time though with IBI. Just in case someone else might have encountered this before, I will post my code below.

As I've been looking at this closer and closer I've noticed a few more things.

1) the words "possible error on: a();" are returned as an image instead of text, as it does with the errors I usually receive.
2)When I do a view source and look at the code, the html has created the image map for the hover overs already. Which implies to me that the report ran alright. I don't see any errors listed in the code and it says that it has created 6 plot points.
3)Originally I was only noticing this when going through my dashboard that I created, but as I am getting more involved with graphs and experimenting with different ones, I have seen it when launching a graph from dev studio. When this happens, I will relaunch the exact same graph, no changes or adjustments, and it will run without any problems. Further confusing my position. Unfortunately, my dashboard is caching the reports as they run so if our user just tries to rerun the report he will get his cache instead of the new report (I am currently experimenting with the MR_Random command and where that needs to go in the URL I call).

Any help on this conundrum would be greatly appreciated.

-* File sls055f8.fex
-SET &ECHO='ALL';
-SET &ROoption='vars' ;
-INCLUDE sls055f0
-SET &ROoption='defs' ;
JOIN AGT_NBR IN SALESPRJ TO AGT_NBR IN AGTEXTRT AS J0 END
DEFINE FILE SALESPRJ
-INCLUDE sls055f0
END
-SET &ROoption='filter'
GRAPH FILE SALESPRJ
SUM CY_SALES AS ''
CY_PRJ_ACT NOPRINT
CY93PRJ NOPRINT
&PARMMTRX
&PARMBYFLD1
-INCLUDE sls055f0
HEADING
">YPE.EVAL For&VP_HD&RG_HD&DS_HD&ZN_HD&AGT_HD"
"&CST_HD For&PRD_HD"
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH 3D_BAR
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 360
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 900
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHEDIT SERVER
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB OFF
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
ON GRAPH SET GRID ON
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ON
ON GRAPH PCHOLD FORMAT PNG
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setRiserWidth(70);
setMarkerDisplay(true);
setConnectLineMarkers(false);
setConnectScatterMarkers(false);
setO1LabelDisplay(true);
setO1AxisSide(0);
setO1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setO1MajorGridStyle(0);
setO1MinorGridDisplay(false);
setAxisAssignment(0,0);
setSeriesType(0,0);
setY1LabelDisplay(true);
setY1AxisSide(0);
setY1MajorGridDisplay(true);
setY1MajorGridStyle(0);
setY1MinorGridDisplay(true);
setTextFormatPreset(getY1Label(),8);
setPieFeelerTextDisplay(1);
setPieLabelDisplay(0);
setTextFormatPreset(getPieSliceLabel(),1);
setRiserBorderMode(2);
setSeriesDefaultTransparentBorderColor(true);
setUseSeriesBorderDefaults(true);
setLegendDisplay(true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY1Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY1Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getY2Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getO1Title(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getO1Label(),true);
setFontSizeAbsolute(getO2Label(),true);
setTextRotation(getO2Label(),0);
setPlace(true);
ENDSTYLE
ON GRAPH SET STYLE *
PAGESIZE='Letter',
SQUEEZE=ON,
UNITS=IN,
LEFTMARGIN=0.500000,
RIGHTMARGIN=0.500000,
TOPMARGIN=0.500000,
BOTTOMMARGIN=0.500000,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
DEFMACRO=COND0001,
MACTYPE=RULE,
WHEN=N2 LT N3,
$
DEFMACRO=COND0002,
MACTYPE=RULE,
WHEN=N2 GE N3,
$
DEFMACRO=COND0003,
MACTYPE=RULE,
WHEN=N2 GE N4,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=OFF,
FONT='ARIAL',
SIZE=10,
BACKCOLOR='NONE',
STYLE=NORMAL,
$
TYPE=DATA,
ACROSSCOLUMN=N1,
COLOR=RGB(0 183 0),
$
TYPE=DATA,
ACROSSCOLUMN=N1,
COLOR=RGB(0 183 0),
MACRO=COND0002,
$
TYPE=DATA,
ACROSSCOLUMN=N1,
COLOR=RGB(255 255 0),
MACRO=COND0003,
$
TYPE=DATA,
ACROSSCOLUMN=N1,
COLOR=RGB(255 0 0),
MACRO=COND0001,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=1,
COLOR='BLACK',
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=2,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=2,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=1,
COLOR='BLACK',
$
ENDSTYLE
END
-INCLUDE sls055h2
-RUN

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of questions...why 2 separate style sheets in the same graph...and what is the -INCLUDE at the bottom?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The include at the bottom contains a custom error message for our user (ie, there were no records for your request, or there was an error please contact your administrator).

The reason for the two style sheets is because of the conditional formatting. If the sales are below 93% of projection, the bars in my graph are red, yellow at 93-99.99, and green from 100 and above. It also controls the header. I could effect the headers through the Graphstyle as opposed to the style sheet, but that was how focus generated it, so I saw no reason to go back and reinvent the wheel.

This dashboard has 2 other graphs in it. Both of which utilize both the style and graph styles. I haven't run into this problem with either one of those graphs. At least not yet.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I wanted to thank everyone who helped me look into this. After about 4 months of IBI tickets, traces, forum posts and the such, A solution has been found to the possible error on A(); issue. It turns out that there is a work around.

setReportParsingErrors(false);

If you plop that piece of code into your ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE * commands it will solve the issue.

I think this is really more of a work around then an actually solution though because, if I understand what is going on, this command really just ignores the parsing error, allowing the graph engine to draw the graph. I did speak with one of the support people at Summit and from what he explained to me (now I don't know the details) it is possible that there are some processes that aren't finishing in the correct sequence causing the parsing issue.

I would like to thank LeeStout for his help in finding a solution to the issue and Vicky Lozovsky whom I believe gave him the solution above.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is good to know.

So you need to put this string in every graph to avoid errors? or just after an error occurs?

What would you do?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank,

Sorry I stopped watching this post after I put the solution(work around) up here. As things stand for us here in our shop, we have to put it in the fex whenever the error occurs. We could put it in every graph, but it doesn't happen on every graph and to be honest, I'm too forgetful to remember to always put it in. So I guess the answer to your question is after an error occurs. I think if you put in for every graph, you may come accross situations where other errors that you need to identify get overlooked because of it.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7

<JG>
posted
quote:
setReportParsingErrors(false);

If you use the advanced graph assistant to create your graphs then
this particular API call is automatically included in the generated code.

All it is doing is stopping errors in the API code from blowing java out.
It means that you still have an error in your procedure.

There are 2 reasons for this,
1) Either you have a genuine error because something is incorrectly coded.
2) Or you have called an API method that is not correctly or fully implemented
(there are several methods that do not work as documented)

Report This Post