Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ReportCaster: Passing a variable from the main fex to the dynamic list fex

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ReportCaster: Passing a variable from the main fex to the dynamic list fex
 Login/Join

posted
So I have a few reports that I need to FTP burst to different locations. They will all be bursting on the same burst VALUE, but depending on what report it is, each report will have a different DEST. Is it possible to have a compute field in the fex that creates the dynamic list:

TABLE FILE LIST
PRINT VALUE
COMPUTE DEST/A20V = '/Home/' || '&FOLDER_NAME' || '/' || VALUE || '.pdf';
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

and have &FOLDER_NAME come from the main fex?

I tried to provide this as a parameter in the schedule under Task/Paramaters but without any luck.
I also tried to create a hold file in the main fex and access it from the dynamic list fex but to no avail. Is this even possible?
The fex that creates the dynamic list, is it run before or after the main fex?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this even possible?
My favorite anser to this is: Yes, we can do that in WebFOCUS.

I create the Dynamic Distribution List (DDL) in "the main fex" which creates a XML file which in turn is used as the DDL in the Distribution section of the RC job.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great. Glad to hear its possible. A noob follow up question then:

So if the main fex is creating the list on the fly, how do you reference that in the Distribution section of the RC job?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Refer to below forum posts. You need to use RC system variables to get necessary details.

Page 12 of below best practice document.
http://documentation.informati...stpractices_7611.pdf

http://forums.informationbuild...087036216#4087036216

Hope this will give you an idea. At runtime, reading BOTSCHED and BOTPARAM table using SCHEDULEID you can meet your requirement.

Thanks,
Ram

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ram Prasad E,

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Ram,

Thanks for the document.
It seems however that those RC parameters like &DSTSCHEDID are available in the procedures called from the tasks in the RC schedule, but they are not available in the fex called to retrieve the dynamic list (the Dynamic Address Procedure in the Distribution tab of ReportCaster). Or am I wrong?

It occasionally happens to us if two RC schedules finish about the same time that one schedule will use the dynamic list created by the other schedule.
Do you have a way to prevent this?

Martin.

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster