Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to get Sectional headings??

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to get Sectional headings??
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,
I am using below piece of code :

TABLE FILE HLDTBL
HEADING CENTER
"Poll Report"
PRINT
POLL_ID AS 'Poll'
POLL_NBR AS 'Poll Nbr'
LOC_CD AS 'Location'
BASE_DT AS 'Base Dt'
ACTUAL_DT AS 'Actual Dt'
BY CAND_CD AS 'Candidate'
BY CAND_NBR AS 'Cand Nbr'

Now it is showing the report vertically sorted by CAND_CD and CAND_NBR.I want to the report with sectional headings i.e, For every new combination of CAND_CD and CAND_NBR,the report should come in new section with heading as “Schedules for CAND_CD | CAND_NBR”.
Suggestions?? This should be an easy problem, I just can't get it to work.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 8.1.04,Windows 7,
DataBase: Oracle 11g,Output :Excel,PDF,HTML

Posts: 281 | Location: India | Registered: April 21, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
indeed simple...

ON CAND_NBR SUBHEAD PAGEBREAK
" <CAND_CD <CAND_NBR" 

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Shankar, do yourself a favour and check out the documentation on SUBHEAD.

These are very basic commands in WebFOCUS.

If you cannot find the information in the documentation try having a look at the sample reports that come with WebFOCUS, they have a host of techniques, including SUBHEAD.

Go to http://{server}/approot/ibinccen/default.htm

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I tried the piece of code given by FrankDutch.It is showing me the report with different subheadings when the CAND_CD and CAND_NBR changes but the column names are not coming up in each section.I also want the column names to come up in each section.
Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

WF 8.1.04,Windows 7,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Indeed, read up on the SUBHEAD section in the manual. Then you will learn exactly what subhead will do for you.
In this case, if I interpret your comment correctly, what you want is to first have the subhead and then, below the subhead, have the column titles.
Correct?
If so, then the subhead approach will not work.
Try to do the same with HEADING and PAGE-BREAK combination.
ON CAND_NBR PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
" <CAND_CD <CAND_NBR" 

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Frank's code was almost right.

Try something like this:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL

ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
"SECTION FOR <COUNTRY"
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,
I tried the above code.It is showing me the column names in each section.But the report heading "Poll Report" is also coming in each section.I want to display the report heading only once in the report at the top.Is it possible??

Thanks.

WF 8.1.04,Windows 7,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Shankar, this is very basic stuff...

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL

ON COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
"SECTION FOR <COUNTRY"

ON TABLE SUBHEAD
"Poll Report"
END

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Fransic,
I got the solution.Thanks for your reply.

WF 8.1.04,Windows 7,

Master
posted Hide Post
Shankar should have found subhead but
his demands are not too far over the top.

The problem of titles not repeating after subheads has been a NFR ignored prob since Disco back in the '70s.

Last time 2 forum members re-raised the issue with NFR's. So I live in hope 7.7 anyone?

quote:
Please ignore my comments and suggestions if this FocalPoint discussion is on behalf of RBC
—I was informed that my postings for RBC are regularly repudiated by a member of IBI Canada

Francis

I am intrigued as to why the disclaimer.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Life is Life, and anything that can be done to keep business is fair. (That's American mind set)

Taking the free option is only valid if the people who are being payed are
willing to admit that someone else knows more than they do.

Forum is free so the argument is that it must be second rate.

Francis, Seriously, If IBI consultants are in any way implying to a
customer that you are not competent then call Gerry.

You are one of the best on the forum and have much more experience than
most IBI consultants.

Failing that take out a legal case for defamation of character.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
[rant]
I apparently misunderstood what was said to me. I am thin skinned but the conversation sure sounded like it was directly pointed to my posts on FocalPoint. I asked for a clarification today and was told something along the lines of:

Unless you have a direct conversation with the person who made a suggestion on solving a problem on any forum anywhere, do not trust the solution - it may not apply in the environment you're working in. It seems this was particularly relevant for a VERY HIGH PROFILE client, where it is suggested to not look for answers on the web, but to ask internal WebFOCUS support who will then deal with IBI.

I make the assumption that it is up to the developer looking for a solution to decide if the found solution is relevant, safe, etc. and it is the developer's responsibility if something goes wrong, not the person that made the suggestion in response to someone else's question.

I couldn't live without looking for answers on the web, be it WebFOCUS, JavaScript, SQL, Music, Photography, Life, etc. and I don't need to be told that applying anything I glean from the web is my responsibility, I know it is.
[/rant]

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Disclosure: I worked for IBI Canada for six years before deciding to work as a free-lance consultant.

Cheers,

Francis.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Okay -

Now you have my attention! It is my understanding that this is a place where you come to get possible solutions to a problem that you can't seem to solve on your own. Ideally you should read the manuals and search previous threads for a solution prior to beginning a new thread.

Any information garnered from these threads (topics) should be thoroughly tested prior to being placed into production. Quite simply put, what works by one may not work for another.

Further more, there are those of you here that I trust as much if not more than the "internal WebFOCUS support who will then deal with IBI".

AND yes Frances, you are definitely one of those that I trust.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis says "Thank you Glenda" Smiler

Francis

<JG>
posted
There are several points here.

All technical problems with regard to lack of functionality or suspected bugs should be raised
with IBI. They have far more resources and capabilities with regard to finding a resolution.

However when the issue is one of technique or lack of understanding a particular method of doing
something the more minds that look at the problem the better.

The forum is a self help group fully supported by IBI.

Forum problems and solutions are available for viewing through the IBI online hottrack system.

Anyone who takes a suggested solution either from the forum, IBI or God himself
and does not test it before putting it into production is a fool.

IBI makes many suggestions for solutions that do not work or apply (check any of your old cases).

quote:
Unless you have a direct conversation with the person who made a suggestion

A very large number of requests and answers to the IBI hotline are handled totally by e-mail
and the online system, not over the telephone so there is often never a “direct Conversation”.

IBI itself refers customers with problems to the forum to ask and search for solutions.

The list can go on and on

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by nubi:
in my opinion the only way you can truly understand and verify a suggestion made here is to read around the subject...

so whilst the solution was provided its important that any links offered with more information are followed- if someone asks a question having not read the elements of the help file pertaining to their problem, have not had training and have not updated their signature then they are definitely better off using an IBI rep in that the rep can properly dedicate their time to the issue wheras a forum expert won't be able to and will also not have access to the customer information that could help them assess whether its a training or hardware issue rather than application issue.

people may be able to 'survive' by getting a solution to their problem in raw code with not much explantion but they will not have a leg to stand on if their solution is found to be wrong (especially if that solution has been informing company strategy) so in my opinion it will never be the fault of the forum poster if what they are posting IS NOT untrue... it's the responsibilty of the asker to ensure that the answer they get is true- otherwise get the ib rep to walk you through every part of the answer that you don't understand- they get paid for it after all...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nubi,

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Though training is important, anyone with half a brain who reads (really reads) the manuals and searches through the forum can literally teach themselves.

There are only four "power users" where I work None of us have had "formal" training and we can do just about anything we want with WebFOCUS. The programmers even ask us how to code in WebFOCUS.

Tell us something can't be done in WebFOCUS and watch us try to prove you wrong.

So my advise is to grab your manuals and cosy up to your computer and play around. Read it, code it and watch it work.

When we're reading the different questions posted in the forum and see something we haven't done before that might be useful in the future, we try all the different solutions and keep the code for the one that works for our shop. The code is then document in a domain called "code tidbits". You never know when something might come in handy (and several already have). It's our own little research library.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
the other unfortunate side-effect from the forum is the fact that despite using WebFOCUS for only a year im already a platinum member of the forum- its important to make the distinction that this doesn't mean im a platinum coder... it wouldn't be a problem but eventually (with enough posts under my belt) ill be a master when really im not a master ive just responded to a certain number of posts

so the post count seems to relate to your membership status at one end and then to your coding abilities after that- so always be wary of that status- its just a post count and no indication of the coders ability...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post