Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Report Caster issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Report Caster issue
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I am scheduling a job and created two tasks in it. One to run the report and email it as an excel file and the other to run the report and email it as a pdf. When I test the schedule by running it I only get the second task, a pdf being sent in an email. Is there anyway to get both done without having to schedule the same procedure twice?

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WF8
Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Caster can only send one email. You will need to create 2 separate schedules.

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Expert
posted Hide Post
Curious that the Report Caster Schedule Editor allows you to set a up a schedule with two tasks that create reports that you want sent in an email, but the schedule won't work.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Trudy:
Are you looking for one email and 2 attachments (xls and pdf) or 2 emails one attachment each?

I just tried the former and got an email with the two different attachments. I'm running 8105.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC, I'll take either way of doing it. Sometimes we'll want it the first way and sometimes the second.

Francis, I agree why would you be able to create two tasks if it only performs one? It is curious because the screen in RC just above the tasks listing says 'When you create a schedule, you must specify the task that will run when your schedule starts' But I don't see anywhere that you can do that.

WF8
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
To schedule one job with two tasks, you can create a new schedule, click Tasks, then click New down arrow all the way to the right (white icon), select WebFOCUS Report (this is from the content folders) or WebFOCUS Server Procedure (from the Reporting server) and add the two focexecs the the list of tasks. Below the ribbon bar you'll see a grid showing the tasks that'll run when you submit this schedule. I don't know if there are any limitations but I tried task1 and task2 (two separate focexecs) and filled out the other parts the usual way, saved and ran it successfully.

If you edit the schedule you created and click Tasks, do you see two tasks with Status of Enabled?

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yes I do see two tasks with the stat enabled. I am using the same focexec for each task, just having them output in different formats.

WF8
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
And the log file says both ran? You should see what happened for each task and somewhere down below that a line that says:
Starting Distribution: Email
Distribution Method: Email
ABC.xlsx distributed to email@xyz.com
XYZ.pdf distributed to email@xyz.com

If these are there and you still don't get the correct results I'm out of ideas.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Just for fun, try and make a copy of your FEX with a different name, or maybe override the output filename (I think that's in the Distribution tab). I think since you're running the same program twice, it might be getting confused.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
My Task 1 and Task 2 run the same fex and override the format to produce an Excel and PDF.

I'm running 8105. I wonder what Trudy's running.

Master
posted Hide Post
I have numerous schedules that produce multiple reports. All the users get a single email with all the reports attached. We are on 8.0.08. Never had this issue in any prior version of WebFOCUS.

My issues is a single job with 2 reports and each report has a different set of users getting each report. A single RC job has only one distribution list. I wish there was an option to let a given task have its own distribution list.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I also run one schedule with 2 tasks, one producing an Excel spreadsheet and the other producing a PDF to be distributed as attachments to one email.

Is it possible that there is some subtle problem with the task that is not working? Perhaps removing the "good" task temporarily and running the ReportCaster schedule might flush it out.

My experience may be different than yours because I am running (still) under 7.6.4.

WebFOCUS Version 7.6.4, OS AIX 5.3.0.0, output PDF, Excel

Posts: 6 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 22, 2010Report This Post