Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Maintain Layers at runtime:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Maintain Layers at runtime:
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Has IBI enabled the Layer feature in Maintain to work at runtime, so one could do something like:

"Winform Set Form1.Layer1.Visible to Yes/No;" ??

I have used the 'Layer' feature of the MDE Form Editor to help build dynamic forms. But to do so, I've had to write some large Cases to show and hide the form controls for the different display situations. This is OK for small records, with only a few controls and labels, but it can get to be a real big pain with more complex screens.

Specifically, I'm thinking of trying to implement a tabbed interface on a Maintain Form, with a background layer and a separate layer for each tab, and controlling the visibility of the layers with simple syntax, instead of a lot of fussy coding that's difficult to write and maintain.

This would enable Maintain to deal with a lot of data fields gracefully, without a lot of bouncing from form to form, and add some modern UI techniques to the product. I don't think it would be that difficult a problem for the Maintain programmers, if it is not already available in a newer release them my 7.6.8

Thanks,

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I wrote something about 5-10 years ago that does this.

I still have the mnt module. From memory its self contained, not sure if it will work on later version of maintain.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave

I agree it would be an effective addition to the Forms to be able to Tab different forms. And whilst I also think that it would be relatively easy to implement, it would be nice to hear from the programmers themselves. Mark?

In the meanwhile I have utilised the HTML Painter Tabs to mimic this behaviour. Not ideal but it does work, albeit not as smoothly as I would like, persistence is not available and each tab has to have it's own commit / rollback, and there are multiple forms. Actually sounds like everything you are trying to avoid!

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
There is no new feature to allow for layering. Even in 7.7 you have to Show / Hide each individual object on a form. I will speak to proggramming about it. A new feature request from a customer is the best way for something like this to get considered.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Looks like I'll have to submit a NFR, but I'll wait till I hear what you get from the programmers.

Waz,

I'd be very interested in what you did long ago.

Alan,

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing with the HTML Painter and Maintain. Could you expand on it a bit ?

Thanks all,

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Dave - Please open an NFR as soon as possible. We can get to work on it!

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'll get my example code working and send it to you.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave

Basically create a Maintain with multiple forms. When calling the maintain, allow for parameters to process one section of code and call a form.

In the HTML painter create a tab for each form, and call the maintain with parameters to display each form.

Use javascript for x-iframe scripting to pick up any navigation parameters from one page to another. So as an example, if you select an employee in tab1, in the background run the maintain in tab2 to pick up the education for that employee, so selecting tab2 already has the correct information.

You can make it easier to use by saving changes to all the tab forms by issuing one save and more scripting.

Does that make more sense? If you need support for NFR, I can help.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Thanks for the explanation. I get what you are doing, and it is very clever, but it seems to involve a lot of patches between WF, Maintain, HTML and Javascript. Not something I would want to do on a regular basis Smiler

Hopefully the NFR will come to pass, and we can do it an easier way !

Mark,

I have submitted the NFR on Case # 62282555. Any help moving it along would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Master
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave - It will be in programming today. I will report back on the feasibility of the request.

Mark

Expert
posted Hide Post
You know, I asked this same question 10 years ago, and was told that it is to assist in the development of the winforms.

If it is implemented, then this will be very useful.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984