Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
SQL Messages
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I am aware that when the following code is posted in your fex, the SQL code will be displayed.

SET TRACEOFF=ALL
SET TRACEON=STMTRACE//CLIENT
SET TRACEON=SQLAGGR//CLIENT
SET TRACEUSER=ON
SET XRETERIVAL=OFF

In addition to displaying the SQL code, does the above code result in the creation of huge trace files on the server?

The procedure I have been running has been bombing out (apparently due to huge temporary files) and I was wondering if the above code was contributing to the problem.

I would like my fex to display the SQL code, but I do not want the above code to create addional overhead and space requirements on the server.

I have tried to research the above commands, but all I have been able to find out is that the above code displays the SQL code.

Does anyone know more about the above code?

Posts: 62 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 29, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
SET TRACEOFF=ALL
SET TRACEUSER=ON
SET XRETERIVAL=OFF

The option you have on XRETerival will result in no returned data, assuming it's spelled correctly.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Leah:

I changed my code to SET XRETRIEVAL=ON

I have not been able to find out documentation on what these commands do. I am aware that they display the SQL code (which is what I want), but I do not know what else it does. I was wondering if in addition to displaying the SQL code, is this code also causing the creation of a trace file (that could be huge) on the server, and if it is, won't this create a burden on the server which could result in my fex bombing, and reducing response time for everyone else using the server.

Posts: 62 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 29, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JohnK :
Here are couple of previous threads that dealt with this topic -

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/3571095091

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/5201067331

At our site (z/OS & DB2), we use the following snippet to spit out the SQL to a dataset, that can inturn be used to run an EXPLAIN on -

DYNAM FREE DD FSTRACE FSTRACE3 FSTRACE4
DYNAM ALLOC DD FSTRACE DSN ABCFLQ.FSTRACE4.DATA SHR REU
SET TRACEON = STMTRACE
SET TRACESTAMP = RIGHT
SET TRACEWRAP = 132
-RUN

Hope that helps,
Sandeep Mamidenna.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
BlueZone thankyou for your post. I found the following information:

-******* Turn Off All Tracing
SET TRACEOFF=ALL
-******* Turn on SQL Trace and have it sent back to the browser
-******* Trun on SQL Aggration Trace and have it sent back to the browser
-******* Turn on User Tracing
SET TRACEUSER=ON
-******* Do Not Send SQL to DB2
SET XRETRIEVAL = OFF

I have come the conclusion that when the above code is included into your fex, the SQL statements will be displayed in your browser (via display source).

I will go under the assumption that no other "trace" files will be created on the server (which would slow down processing). Since no other "trace" files are being created, including these statements should not affect the time required to run a request. I'm glad to learn that there is no performance penalty for using the above statements while running your fex.

If anyone believes that there is a performance penalty to doing a SQL trace then let me know.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Usually it is true that no other trace files are created, we use these commands all the time. However, while the procedure is still running, the trace (which will eventually come back to the browser), appears to be held on the server.
The trace should be small with these options. However, I have seen cases (with XRETRIEVAL ON) where the trace on the server is tracking more options than these! And these are for sure the only trace options in effect. In those cases it is a huge file.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
-*-- Set up SQL tracing --------------------------------------------------------

-*-- Deactivate SQL tracing --------------------------------
SET TRACEOFF = ALL

-*-- Show Commands and data exchange between the -----------
-*-- physical and the logical layers of the data adapter
-*SET TRACEON = SQLCALL

-*-- Show ??? ----------------------------------------------
SET TRACEON = SQLTRANS

-*-- Show SQL statements -----------------------------------
SET TRACEON = STMTRACE//CLIENT

-*-- Show Optimization information -------------------------
SET TRACEON = SQLAGGR//CLIENT

-*SET TRACEON = STMTRACE/1/CLIENT

-*SET TRACEON = STMTRACE/2/CLIENT

-*-- Hide the trace stamp (Date/Time etc) ------------------
SET TRACESTAMP = OFF

-*-- Set trace line wrapping - # of characters -------------
SET TRACEWRAP = 78

-*-- Activate SQL tracing ----------------------------------
SET TRACEUSER = ON
-RUN

This is what I use. I've commented the STMTRACE/1 and STMTRACE/2 lines as these two generate traces based on each row retrieved - potentially thousands of lines generated.

I have not one single proper document that describes each of these commands, I've found them in bits and bobs in different documents. There are a couple of other trace commands that I do not use.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I don't know how I missed this. I've been looking for this for a long time. Back when we were using FOCUS for HP/UX this was available in FSTRACE3 and FSTRACE4. I have a programmer that is relatively new to FOCUS/WebFOCUS and he done an excellent job on a new app, but it run very slow at times. I'm almost sure it is the SQL being genereated. This will tell me for sure.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Do these SQL Trace commands work in 7.6.5 also?
I can't find my trace via the echo, so where do they go?

Thanks,

Carol

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Aha, thank you Tom, I had a typo in my Trace command. Red Face

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Carol,

You can see the trace if the output is HTML by doing a view source on the report page. The trace will be at the bottom.

For 7.6.x, in Dev Studio for any output type, you can click the little black down arrow next to the run button and choose Message Viewer On. When you run your report, you will see a horizontal bar and below it will be the trace command output.

Trace commands do write files to the server in EDATEMP. It is recommended that you only use them for testing and comment them out in production programs. It is recommended that you (or your admin) erase the trace files in EDATEMP on a recurring basis.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post