Focal Point
Two dimensions ... same key field?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1461084022/m/3751090172

February 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
Janice
Two dimensions ... same key field?
I am planning a new scorecard and I have two dimensions: location and line of business. Both drill down to the "plant" level (which is my unique key - plant number). When I load a metric, using both dimensions, is there going to be any issues around using the same key field for both dimensions? If so, what do you recommend?

WF 8.09
February 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
Hi Janice--
No, you shouldn't have a problem with this. The keys are both assigned to different dimensions and thus to different parameters. IN the loader, the key values are specific to the Dimension you're loading.

If you're talking about values displayed in the Dimension, and used in a drillout to an operational report, the answer is, they're still assigned to different dimensions, so though the two Dimension Level values would be the same, they are exposed via different parameter names.

How you finally map and use them in operational reports is up to you. You could toss them together and just say, whatever the Dimension is, here's the value to use as a filter. Or you could use them a separate filters.

Hope this answers your question.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

February 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
Janice
Great. Thanks Bob!

WF 8.09