Focal Point
FocalPoint Search is terrible

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7081057331/m/967100444

May 17, 2010, 11:44 AM
Francis Mariani
FocalPoint Search is terrible
I'm trying to find a post I made within the last couple of months that uses the word BYTOC in the example code I posted.

Using Advanced Search and limiting the search with Author Name and Search Word gives me ONE result and I know I have discussed BYTOC many times on FocalPoint.

Why can't the Search facility do a proper search?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
May 17, 2010, 12:06 PM
Kerry
Hi Francis,

Thanks for bringing up the issue. I think we discussed about the issue a while ago, it was due to some indexing method that Groupee (the forum software company) used in the search engine. I will contact Groupee and ask if there is any reason for the behavior, and will keep you and everyone posted on their response.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.
May 17, 2010, 12:11 PM
Francis Mariani
Kerry, I am afraid that the Search does not look at the "code" in postings.

I tried looking for the word "QUANTITY" in postings made by me and this one did not come up.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
May 17, 2010, 06:06 PM
Waz
Francis, as a backup plan, how about trying Google.

Search for site:forums.informationbuilders.com BYTOC francis

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

May 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
Francis Mariani
Thanks for the reminder, Waz! Why do I keep forgetting to use Google? I even have a shortcut in my Firefox Bookmarks toolbar.

Francis

May 18, 2010, 02:39 PM
Kerry
Hi Francis,

Just heard from Groupee: would you mind to let us know, what exact field in the advanced search form are you putting the QUANTITY text into?

Thanks,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.