Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] What is the life of a FILEDEF file?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] What is the life of a FILEDEF file?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
quote:
In WebFOCUS, HOLD files are saved to a temporary directory during processing and deleted after the connection to the server is broken.

I understand the HOLD files are temporary, but not entirely grasp the life or when/what circumstances these files are available. ie in
-INCLUDE
-EX
-EXEC
dd fex
recursive dd fex
-HTMLFORM

Or perhaps, I don't understand what is session? Appreciated for your advices.

Hua

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Very basicly, a session is the duration of time between the start of your request (read: fex) until the end of your request. Anything between these two moments can be called a session. Your request will be started by the server and is sent to one of the agents available. It will start with a clean environment. After processign of the fex has completed, the environment in which your request was processed will be cleaned - thereby removing all files in the temporary directory.
You can influence this behaviour a bit by issueing the SET TEMPERASE=OFF command somewhere in your fex. This will prohibit the erasure of the temporary files from the agent's temp directory. This command is to be used with care - a request following yours will not start in a clean environment, which may cause unexpected results.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comment Gamp.

I realized my question is kind of vague. What I really want is that when a user launch an application, the main fex creates some hold files and the drill down fexes(or other ways of executing sub procedures) will be able to used them. And I don't mean to hold them to some perminant locations other users can access.
Clear as mud?
I can only refer to AS400 as I am familar with the environment, when I launch an application, I can set the activation level to higher call level or at current level to control the life of or when and how long the temparary file lasts. And by default, temp files are available to subsequent calls. How can I do the same in WF?

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Expert
posted Hide Post
Upgrade to 7.6.5 so that you can use the FOCCACHE option which will do exactly what you need.

Or if you can't do that, create semi_permanent work directories for each invocation of the report using some sort of process id that you would delete let's say in a half an hour. I don't know how you would do that on AS/400, but we do it on our UNIX platform. Maybe this will give you an idea on something you could develop to do this.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jinny.I will keep both of your advices in mind.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS