Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Microsoft Vista
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
As most new machines seem to be coming with VISTA on them, has anyone out there tried WebFOCUS under VISTA. The everchaning world of data processing or should I say Information Technology.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Leah,

have not tried it, but I'm very interested in the subject as one of my customers is going from W2K to Vista in April on a global basis. What's IB saying about Vista?

Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's IB saying about Vista

I don't think I've seen anything on Vista from IB. Since that is the way computers are being shipped these days, hope they are testing, of course we may see issues on what version is supported on Vista I'm sure.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
With 15Gb required on your hard drive I think we ought to call it Vasta!

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
!5Gb to add better security and eye-candy to make your Windows look more like a Mac?

Here's a thought: Skip the upgrade, get a Mac Intel and Parallels VM with XP/SP2 -- then you can HAVE a real Mac for your eye candy and still run Dev Studio and all those other "Windows Only" programs with nary a bump in your performance!

That's my setup, 2G Ram MacBOOK and 720M given to the XP virtual machine. Can even run Red Hat Linux concurrently in 320M Ram, and still have all three OS's at once full-boar. This is on a Dual-Core setup, not even on the dual-core 2.

Who needs Vista Smiler

Dan Kenny
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Prod: WF 7.1.6 Linux Test: WF 7.6.0 Linux

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Totally agree with you. But shouldn't you be able to install the UNIX version of WebFOCUS, and do away with Parallels VM and Windows altogether?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

We do have the Unix version of WebFOCUS (Linux). IBI has done a great job making their server cross-platform. However, I'm still waiting for Dev Studio to be platform-independent. As it stands, we're stuck in the Windows environment if we want to use Dev Studio for development.

Conceivably, we could go to MRE Applet exclusively for development on the MRE standard reports tree, but their Java applet doesn't work in Mac OSX Java. We could go to Dashboard, but a developer can't edit standard reports (argh). We really are, unfortunately, locked into Windows for development.

At least until IBI decides to port more Dev Studio functionality to Ajax ala Power Painter. Or decides to port a Qt (Linux) or Cocoa (OSX) inteface for Dev Studio. Now wouldn't that be nice Smiler

Regards,

-- Dan

Dan Kenny
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Prod: WF 7.1.6 Linux -- Test: WF 7.6.0 Linux

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, thanks for the details.

I was only thinking of WF development for myself, not from an enterprise perspective.

Cheers.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<JHeath>
posted
IBI has successfully tested WebFOCUS on the beta versions of Vista, and now testing with the production version. Look for a statement for Vista support on our Support site soon.

Joan Heath
Product Implementation Team
WebFOCUS Product Group

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked IBI at Summit 2005 if they had any plans to come out with a Mac version of Dev Studio and they did not at the time, but as Apple gains more market share, maybe that will change. Smiler

In July to prepare for a business trip, I tested Dev Studio running under Parallels on my laptop, a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro running 1GB and had problems, so I installed another GB and then Dev Studio ran great! Since my work machine is now 3 years old, I've decided it time to upgrade so yesterday I purchased a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 24" iMac with 2 GB, which will replace two Windows machines, a 20 inch Apple monitor and a KVM switch, but I won't be installing Vista until the DOD approves it and installs it on their machines. Smiler

Sue