Focal Point
[SOLVED] Run ReportCaster from focexec

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1161077182

April 25, 2008, 07:27 AM
Frans
[SOLVED] Run ReportCaster from focexec
Hi All,

I would like to make a procedure which generate's a task for reportcaster depending on the paraemters I have in the procedure.

Does anybody have an example how this can be done?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
April 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
dhagen
Example.

You could use the DSTRUN options, but I've always found them a little confusing and their functionality is slowly being phased out (I think). I say that because a lot of people seem to be having problems with them in newer releases of WF. Most of my clients are removing any DSTRUN options and replacing them with JSP calls or JAVA programs that use the API.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
April 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
Brian Suter
DSTRUN is particular about it;s parameters. The errors returned have been improved lately. Though DSTRUN is for running a defined schedule, you look like you want to create the schedule ... you want to do that with the API (or webservices calls to caster).

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development
April 30, 2008, 09:13 AM
jgelona
It took us a while to get DSTRUN to work, but now it works great. I use it in several reports. The only problem I have had is that it does not support Dynamic Distribution but I was able to get around that by dynamically updating a fixed distribution file.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.
April 30, 2008, 09:41 AM
slim007
Could you tell me how you used the fixed distribution file? I would like to be able to do something similar. I want to save an email address and burst values so that I can pass those values to a fex to be distributed through ReportCaster. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

UNIX
Excel, PDF, HTML
April 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
Frans
Hi Brian, scheduling is not a requirement, The API calls would be nice to use in the future. For now the DSTRUN functionality will do fine I guess. Tomorrow I will spend my day on getting DSTRUN to work, getting the parameter right will be the hardest job.

DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
April 30, 2008, 10:41 AM
Darin Lee
Slim,

You may get a couple of ideas from a tip I gave at Summit last year regarding manipulating distribution lists. You can find the technique described here

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
April 30, 2008, 11:02 AM
Efrem
Here's another methodology which involves the licensing of WebFOCUS Web Services and the Web Services adapter. I have used the below methodology quite successfully in the past.
It is documented in the below WebFOCUS Newsletter.

http://www.informationbuilders.com/new/newsletter/8-4/08_litwin.html
November 24, 2008, 07:24 PM
Alan
Frans,
Did you ever get this to work for you? I have a working example if you're still interested...

Alan

WF 7.6.6, FOCUS 7.6.4, IBM MVS/TSO, Windows 2003 Server, DB2, MSSQL
November 25, 2008, 09:48 AM
Frans
Hi Alan,

Yes I managed to get this working on a dev environment. But due to many security restrictions on prod, it was not possible to implement and I've managed to solve it with deferred reports.