Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Grouping Column Names in the Master

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Grouping Column Names in the Master
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Data is stored in Oracle 10g. We have a denormalized view of data with lots of columns. We'd like to group related data using names like Job, Department, Location, etc..., so that users developing reports can easily find what they are looking for rather than searching through a long alphabetical list.

We cannot change the column names to add a prefix like JOB_JOBCODE instaed of just JOBCODE.

My first thought was to modify the Master to have unique child segments defined for each group even though the data all comes from the same view. For example:

FILENAME=Movement_History, SUFFIX=SQLORA , $
SEGMENT=MOVEMENT, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELDNAME=EMPLID, ALIAS=EMPLID, USAGE=A11V, ACTUAL=A11V, $

SEGMENT=LOCATION, SEGTYPE=S0, PARENT=MOVEMENT, $
FIELDNAME=WORK_LOCATION, ALIAS=WORK_LOCATION, USAGE=A5V, ACTUAL=A5V, $

This approach works fine from a WF user perspective; the groups appear in the Object Explorer and can be expanded to show the columns associated with that group.

I changed the access file to include the Access File definition to include the new SEGMENT:

SEGNAME=MOVEMENT, TABLENAME=STEVE_GEN.MOVEMENT_GEN_HIST_VW,
CONNECTION=uredev, KEYS=0, $
SEGNAME=LOCATION, TABLENAME=STEVE_GEN.MOVEMENT_GEN_HIST_VW,
CONNECTION=uredev, KEYS=0, $

However, whenever I try to access the data I get the following message:

(FOC1402) KEYFLD AND IXFLD KEYWORDS MISSING FOR SEGMENT : LOCATION

Is anyone else doing something like this?
Is there an alternative method for grouping columns?

WF 7.6.6, FOCUS 7.6.4, IBM MVS/TSO, Windows 2003 Server, DB2, MSSQL

Posts: 65 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: July 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alan, I'm not sure if creating multiple segments in the Master and then modifying the Access file will work.

Here are two other suggestions:

1) Change the Master to use names with the prefixes you mentioned. The Master has the WebFOCUS column name (FIELD) and the database table column name (ALIAS, usually right after the comma and not tagged with ALIAS). You can change the FIELD to anything you want.

2) Create an Oracle view with renamed columns. The advantage of this is you don't have to change a Master. This is my preferred method, since you're not fooling around with the generated Master.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
Unfortunately we have a requirement to use the same column names as the source system; this is so the user can relate data in the reports directly to the data in the source system without having to "translate" the names. Both of the changes you suggested require changing the column names.

I'm assuming this is a common problem, and I'm hoping there is another solution.

Thanks,
Alan

Expert
posted Hide Post
OK, how about adding the TITLE attribute to each column in the Master?

The syntax is something like this:

FIELD=MARITAL_STATUS_ID , MARITAL_STATUS_ID,
I11 , I4          , MISSING=ON
,TITLE='Marital Status'
,DESCRIPTION='Users marital status. Valid values configurable.'
,$

You can also have a DESCRIPTION attribute.

I think these two attributes will be displayed in the Object Explorer, though, perhaps, not by default.

Remember that if the Master is regenerated via the WebFOCUS Server Console Synonym generator, it will wipe out the existing Master.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,
We plan to generate the synonym once, then it wil be heavily modifed and maintained like any other component. No regens allowed.

Both Title and Description are good ways to communicate information, but the goal is to group related columns and I don't think either will do that.

Thanks,
Alan

Expert
posted Hide Post
Alan, if you prefix the Title or Description with what you want to group the fields with, then it would group related columns.

e.g.
Address: Line 1
Address: Line 2
Name: First Name
Name: Last Name

etc.

These Titles or descriptions can be sorted and then the columns will be grouped.

Can you conceive of any other way of doing this?

Francis