Focal Point
[SOLVED] Difference between WebFOCUS versions

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1297043586

January 27, 2017, 08:38 PM
Kondal Nookala
[SOLVED] Difference between WebFOCUS versions
Hi All,

I would like to know the major differences/ enhancements between WebFOCUS 8.1.05 & WebFOCUS 8.2.

I have gone through the release notes of both the versions but, would appreciate if anyone explains me the underlying difference in brief for my above question.

Thanks much in Advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
January 30, 2017, 10:59 AM
Michael L Meagher
Along the same lines - Last Friday we finished a painful upgrade from 8.0.07 to 8.1.05M.

Now the management wants to go to 8.2x as soon as possible. Have any of you made the 8.1.05M to 8.2x upgrade yet? Did you get caught up in code tightening issues?

The 8.0.07 to 8.1.05M upgrade required a surprising amount of recoding focexecs to change syntax that was standard FOCUS as long as I can remember. The application was only two years old and was written by IBI and one of their leading contractors.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980
January 30, 2017, 11:46 AM
CoolGuy
Hey peeps,

Kondal,

So, with 8.2, there are substantial updates to the BI portal product area with an entire new architecture and way of doing things moving forward. Portals as they are known now are evolving into what are called Collaborative Portals that have a lot more to them than the now "Basic Portals" do. They fixed up a lot of things that a lot of people had issues with in regards to such, and made things a lot better. I'll let you dig into the details. Also, they've done a good job fixing up the HTML Canvas tool in AppStudio to work a lot better with responsive layouts, etc. Now we can do divs instead of iframes. Also, the templates that were available as of 8.1.03 are now fully integrated into the product and better that they were in the beginning. Also, InfoAssist is now InfoAssist+, which integrates what they were calling InfoDiscovery or something of that sort before. They merged that product into InfoAssist making a lot of work that had to be done in Js now doable within the UI. Also, custom theming! Again, I'll let you dig in. Also, they've began to redo the admin console, etc. to look and work a bit differently as well. There's more, but these are the big hitters for me. Plus source control (TFS first, with Git and Subversion up next)!

Michael,

Support for migrating 77, 80, and 81 content is due out in release 8.2.01M that I was told is tentatively scheduled for release in April. We are looking forward to this ourselves. We've been migrating 7.6 content for the past year+ now due to the lack of migration ability this product line has had up till hopefully April. I'm really hoping they've got this figured out come this release. We've been stuck rebuilding droves of applications, reports, dashboards, HTML forms, etc. due to little to no support for migrations. I'm thinking this should be the ability to simply utilize the CM facilities to move from one 8.x release to another 8.x release. But we'll see.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.